Sign in to follow this  
312Hydro

If Wheel Horse was Still in Business,What would the tractors look like/feature now?

wh500special

Ya' can't tell me that the unidrive and frame rail construction of the WH is that much more than the parts on an

MTD...

I've never opened up a Unidrive, so i don't really know what they look like inside, but apparently - per a Toro rep - it is a very expensive unit to manufacture. The case halves are machined to provide proper spacings, fits, and clearances for the bearings, shafts, and so on. Even the gasket down the middle needs to be of a specific thickness for things to work out without shimming. And there's a lot hard gears and bearings in that thing, none of which are inexpensive to make.

We can't forget that Wheel Horses NEVER were cheap. They were actually quite expensive, whether you're talking the $500 Lever Steer in 1946 or the $7000 5xi almost a decade ago. The D250 - admittedly a special case - was nearly $5000 in 1976. Seriously.

I'd love to see them come back, but I have no idea if the buying demographic would support them.

Steve

dcrage

I priced out some top of the line JD garden tractors (X500/700 series), Simplicity, and Kubota, with basic attachments

of 60" deck and dozer blade. Cost was $13-15K. Your kiddin', right? I believe there would be a market for

a true small garden tractor that cost $2K

Remember -- A 310-8 with a 37" SD was right at $2500 in 1991 -- That is what I paid for mine -- We are now 21 years later -- Inflation will make that figure a lot more, what $4000 or $ 5000

Save Old Iron

from an inflation calculator on the 'net

What cost $2500 in 1981 would cost $5918.17 in 2010.

For the D250 mentioned earlier

What cost $5000 in 1976 would cost $18933.26 in 2010.

can whlvr

i really like all my horses,i bought a new one in 1986,still have her,but i dont think i would spend that again,yes they are worth every pennie,but for 6000 grand i could buy a life time of used horses and still go on holidays

• Like 1

Cole

turbochargers!!!

DrabHorse

Ya' can't tell me that the unidrive and frame rail construction of the WH is that much more than the parts on an

MTD...

I have thought of this before. The wheel horses are a such a simple design compared to even the cheap tractors that are out there today. One would think they could be produced and compete. I think the basic frame and sheet metal would be no problem, but it would be the transmission, engine, axle, steering, all the heavy parts that make the tractor as durable as it is would be expensive and make the cost go way up. You hardly see anything made out of cast iron now adays, just about nothing from here in the USA and only alittle bit from overseas.

SNYFIX

Instead of going the MTD route we wished they would've cheapened the tractor up by using a B&S horizontal crank engine, elec PTO, Peerless aluminum trans (look at the millions of trucks w/aluminum cased transfer cases), less quality frame and 42" deck (side/rear discharge and price it for $2,999.00 and we're sure it would sell because there's nothing out there you can do PTO work with and/or has the rear discharge deck -- --

IthacaJeff

Cars today are immensely better than they were in the 60s and 70s. We can lament the old

days, but frankly, my old Dart with the 225 slant 6 was considered the durability car of its

time. If you got 125K miles out of a car back in that day you were doing great. Nowadays

100K is nothin' Cars are better engineered, more efficient, longer lasting, AND cheaper for

what you get. Really.

But then again, I'm no engineer. . .

Jeff

bowtiebutler956

Everyone has mentioned lots of really good ideas, but I would be worried that the Wheel Horse would be sourced out to China or Mexico so they could get cheaper labor so there would be a profit for the "Big Boys" at the top.

I know this is all hypathetically, but I doubt anyone could build something new like we are used to and make it affordable.

Yes, I am the skeptic...Some call this being a pesimist, but I think of it more of being a "realist".

A few years ago, a new FORD 8N was made, but sales weren't very good. It was high priced and low powered for it's size.

For the same money you could but a higher HP utility tractor.

Not to get off topic, but I went to Toro the other day to buy new spindle bearing for the Groungsmaster I've been fixing up, and they cost me $75 a pair per spindle, thats $225. I got to the shop, and opened them up, and all of them said Made In China! :jaw::banghead: That being said, I don't think Toro would do the Wheel Horse name justice in these modern days.

Matt

Tankman

I would have liked to of seen something on par or BETTER than what Deere and Cub Cadet offer thru their dealerships. I'd like something rugged and affordable, with a nice nostalgic look. (and some chrome hub caps!)

Gotta have chrome hub caps, baby moons!

• Like 1

tunahead72

One bright ray of hope exists for lawn enthusiast.

The design engineers at SOI U are busy perfecting our new "Eco" line of lawn maintenance products. Once they get the bearing lube specs down, we give the girls scissors and we go to market ! Our marketing slogan - "If you smell gas - don't look at us!"

spin.gif

Man, where do you FIND this stuff? :handgestures-thumbup:

Don't forget to call it "green". :)

wh500special

Cars today are immensely better than they were in the 60s and 70s. We can lament the old

days, but frankly, my old Dart with the 225 slant 6 was considered the durability car of its

time. If you got 125K miles out of a car back in that day you were doing great. Nowadays

100K is nothin' Cars are better engineered, more efficient, longer lasting, AND cheaper for

what you get. Really.

But then again, I'm no engineer. . .

Jeff

I'm not sure I could argue with any of that. I think you're completely right! There is no comparison in cars today versus those of yesterday. Thank goodness they don't build 'em like they used to!

I guess if MTD, for example, would mass produce something of medium duty capacity and sell it to all the other OEM's the price could probably come down. But if each niche GT marketer goes out on their own it probably would take too many sales to recoup design, overhead, engineering, tooling, prototyping, testing, certification, product liability, etc costs.

What's a Wheel Horse weigh...1000 pounds perhaps with a mower deck? At $4000 we're in the $4-$5 a pound range which is pretty cheap considering what's involved to bolt one together. I bought a 1/2lb cheesburger the other day at a restaurant for almost $6 and wasn't at all dissatisfied.

Lunchtime!

Steve

Save Old Iron

OK, let's play marketing "what if".

I'm going to manufacture GT tractors. The sell price is $3000. As a manufacturer, I have 2 choices on how to mix the $2000 of material / labor that will complete the tractor.

I go the Made In the USA route. Labor / benefits / admin demands require $1200, leaving me $800 to spend on materials. Forget welded angle iron and cast iron parts - for the parts money available in the build, it's all stamped parts. 1 year warranty. You can get it fixed anywhere as all parts are common with just about every other product offered.

The second choice is adequately welded / bolted angle iron, powder coated sheet metal hood and that overall nostalgic look you like. $1800 in materials and $200 in labor. Of course, no Made in the USA sticker on this one. But you do get most of what you want and I still get my profit margin. 3 year homeowner warranty - we send you the parts from country of origin- you fix it.

So which one do I build? and how many?

• Like 1

Keith

Rather than dream, build it. Two ways to go about it using classic Wheel Horses.

Using the sheet metal from belt drive 8-speed Uni-drive model, build a heavier frame. Install a larger motor and a synchronous drive belt (known in the trade as timing belts). Timing belts are 98 percent efficient and won't slip under load - widely used in industrial applications. The mid section would be lengthened so as to add an automotive type clutch and hydraulic pump. Use a heavier front axle from a compact tractor.

Second plan is to modify a D series. Use an automotive locking differential and a gearbox from a small truck, with a two speed reduction drive. Consider a water cooled motor, whether gasoline or diesel.

Both paths would have power steering and more power. Both would be two wheel drive and look like a Wheel Horse.

• Like 1