Sign in to follow this  
312Hydro

If Wheel Horse was Still in Business,What would the tractors look like/feature now?

312Hydro

Got to thinking about this the other day and thought I would post this for your opinions. If Wheel Horse(not Toro) was still manufacturing Tractors today, what do you think the Tractors would have evolved into as far as Styling , Horsepower, and Features. We all know they would be RED and would have attachamatics , but what about the rest? Still use Eatons and Unidrive? Belt driven,shaft driven? What options would be available? Just putting this out there for discussion as I'm sure there are some great opinions to be shared.

Doorvip

I'm sure they would do like the auto industry and have more of a spin off on classic styling. I would love a diesel option with factory stack and shaft drive. Hid light in the front and led in the rear with front and rear hyd. Quick connects for attachments. AG tires, front and rear fitted wheel weights are mandatory and a cup holder.

Challenger

I'd guess their evolution would be similar to Case-Ingersoll. Almost no change, just small, occasional refinements.

Tankman

GPS and satellite radio! Of course, AC cab and air ride seat! :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

Ken B

I would have liked to of seen something on par or BETTER than what Deere and Cub Cadet offer thru their dealerships. I'd like something rugged and affordable, with a nice nostalgic look. (and some chrome hub caps!)

6wheeler

Diesel engine. Live hydraulics w/standard transmission. Front wheel drive option. Rear PTO. FEL (made just for Wheel Horse). Drive over Deck w/ hydraulic attach. HID lighting front and rear. Larger garden implements for the bigger tractors. Shaft drive. Cab, Heat, Air. Three point hitch. I bet they would have branched into the compact tractor market. And if Toro reads any of these posts, Maybe they would revive the Marque and do just that :eusa-think: . One can always dream :greetings-clappingyellow::icecream: .

Wheel Horse Kid

Everything that you guys have mentioned so far sounds good to me! I myself, have always wished that Wheel Horse would have made more shaft driven tractors (Only ones I can think of that were shaft drive were D series, right?). The diesel engine is also a really good idea!

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Gee wasn't the too little too late last generation Toro designed tractors have most of that..

Realistically my wish list would be

1. Hydraulic quick connects front and back, with at least 2 circuits

2. PTO 540 and 1000 RPM

3. Diesel option

4. Power steering

5. 3 point standard

6. optional hydraulic front assist

7. turning brakes

8. posi lock dif

9. bigger back wheels (gt-14)

Oh wait they do make these their just orange and called Kubota

Kelly

The XI series tractors have lots of the things you guys want, try one of them out, I hear they are nice, just most are out of my price range, just like if they built these tractors the way we wanted, they would be $10,000 +

SousaKerry

yes XL that is what I was thinking of... couldn't remember the name. Too bad they only built them for a couple of years

Kelly

XI not XL they built them for a number of years, but most in good shape bring $2500 the diesel even more

COMMANDO6

Definitely diesel with factory FEL. Power steering and maybe 4WD would be nice. Sousakerry2, you're right. This fits the desctiption of my dad's Kubota exactly. It's an awesome tractor.

varosd

Evolution not Revolution..in terms of upgraded design and manufacturing.

wh500special

I'm a huge cheerleader for the 5xi tractors, and I really think had any of us bought them (new) Toro would still be branding products with the Wheel Horse name. To be honest, in my opinion the only thing really lacking from the 5xi was the availability of a 3pt hitch/rear PTO option. But in true WH make-it-work fashion, a clevis hitch and the old 36" tiller provided an acceptable workaround for the few people who still needed or wanted ground engaging ability.

I find it funny that a lot of the features mentioned in this thread were incorporated in the 1976-1979 D250. Only 2000 of them were sold in the US and even pushing that many wasn't easy. They carried on in Europe for a while and received the diesel and four wheel drive options.

For purists interested in the final evolution of the Classic style tractor, I remind you of the 1982-1984 C195 "Super C". It offered a big engine, large tires, a big mower deck, a 3pt, and even a rear PTO. But it wasn't a sales sensation.

For some reason, top-of-the-range GT shoppers seem to have gravitated to Deere and newer subcompact utilities.

I think if Toro were to try and "do it right" again, the product would look an aweful lot like the deceased 5xi's, but perhaps 10% bigger with limited catergory 1 three point/pto capabilities.

Steve

qd-16

I would just like to see the "Classic" back in an 8 speed trans. or optional hydro. with a Briggs. Vanguard twin engine.

KC9KAS

Everyone has mentioned lots of really good ideas, but I would be worried that the Wheel Horse would be sourced out to China or Mexico so they could get cheaper labor so there would be a profit for the "Big Boys" at the top.

I know this is all hypathetically, but I doubt anyone could build something new like we are used to and make it affordable.

Yes, I am the skeptic...Some call this being a pesimist, but I think of it more of being a "realist".

A few years ago, a new FORD 8N was made, but sales weren't very good. It was high priced and low powered for it's size.

For the same money you could but a higher HP utility tractor.

Save Old Iron

I really think had any of us bought them (new) Toro would still be branding products with the Wheel Horse name.

and that sums it up very well - we are all "restorers" of old iron and very, very rarely buyers of $10K tractors (new or used). We have sandblasted and E tanked away our voice and influence over the years and are no longer taken seriously when we ask anyone to produce an inexpensive. long lasting machine with great capabilities. Every feature asked for in the above posts already exists and is easily obtained on used Deere ,Ford, Kubota and Yanmar equipment. If you aren't willing to spend $8 - $10K for that type of equipment, you most likely do not REALLY need CUT capabilities. No pay - no play.

And just wait until genetically engineered grass hits the market. Only having to cut your lawn twice a year will be a game changer.

312H - great topic you started - but I'm afraid the answer to what WH would look like is really quite simple - just like everyone else!! But in red. They all have that same "happy to be anywhere" look.

staypufft.jpg

One bright ray of hope exists for lawn enthusiast.

The design engineers at SOI U are busy perfecting our new "Eco" line of lawn maintenance products. Once they get the bearing lube specs down, we give the girls scissors and we go to market ! Our marketing slogan - "If you smell gas - don't look at us!"

spin.gif

• Like 3

Challenger

If the "Classic" went back into production with the 8 speed or an optional hydro, would you buy one new? If so, at what price? What would be the comfortable top of the market price for such a machine?

The last batch of Classics went begging for buyers. Was price alone the primary problem? In other words, would the Classic, with its limitations (ergonomics, etc.), sell well if it were priced a good bit lower than the the mid-2000's batch?

Again, what is that comfortable new price?

leeave96

Part of the problem with the 5xi series tractors IMHO were:

1. No locking differential

2. Lack of direct interchangeability of classic implements

3. No 3 point hitch

4. No rear PTO

All of the above were necessary to compete head to head with Cub Cadet and John Deere.

On the other side of the coin, again IMHO and no offense to the D series tractors/owners, but the 5xi series were very nice looking tractors, smooth lines, curved hoods, etc. Again, like Cub Cadet, Deere and Simplicity, nice looking tractors.

None the less, the 5xi tractors are very fine tractors and if I found a deal, I would add one to my collection.

Bill

zeedubbya

I agree with what everyone said as far as extras go, but with the thought in mind that the 520h cost 5k brand new in the early 90s just think how much it would cost now! If they didn't cheat on durability I'm guessing even a decently equipped scut would run well over 10k? Just my two cents--good post. Oh and SOI that is hilarious even though when that video was made it was probably considered very risqué!

Ken B

The only people that really get nostalgic about Wheel Horse's are us collectors. Most people these days have never even heard of them, and to be honest most of us collectors wouldn't buy a new one even if they did make another. One of my brothers is over 50 and until a few months ago he never heard of a Wheel Horse. Imagine if Toro decided to repop a commemorative edition RJ for us collectors to be used strictly as a show tractor. Would anyone buy one?

varosd

also, one of the reasons we keep seeing WH's on CL or Fleabay is the Zero turn. they have been around for quite some years but slick TV commericals and away we go. I agree they cut fast and wide, so you can get back to the TV but it lacks the "tractor" style. I guess I'm a old school...like a new Camaro or my long gone 69 RS Camaro. no question about which I would want!

• Like 1

Doorvip

The only people that really get nostalgic about Wheel Horse's are us collectors. Most people these days have never even heard of them, and to be honest most of us collectors wouldn't buy a new one even if they did make another. One of my brothers is over 50 and until a few months ago he never heard of a Wheel Horse. Imagine if Toro decided to repop a commemorative edition RJ for us collectors to be used strictly as a show tractor. Would anyone buy one?

We had a old power king when I was growing up and had never heard of wheel horse. I bought my first house and almost ended up with the box store cub cadet but am so thankful I kept looking and got my 310-8.

Don1977

If the "Classic" went back into production with the 8 speed or an optional hydro, would you buy one new? If so, at what price? What would be the comfortable top of the market price for such a machine?

The last batch of Classics went begging for buyers. Was price alone the primary problem? In other words, would the Classic, with its limitations (ergonomics, etc.), sell well if it were priced a good bit lower than the the mid-2000's batch?

Again, what is that comfortable new price?

You asked if price alone was the problem. I don't think so. I bought my C120 new in1977 and over the years have been doing business with 12 dealers in a 50 mile radius as they went out of business. The last one of the twelve went out of business 4 years ago. I don't know of a Toro dealer in the area, there may be one but they never sold Wheel Horses. I know this for sure because I did business with ever Wheel Horse dealer in the. Don't know why but I think the like of dealers had a lot to do with them been able to sell there Wheel Horses.

IthacaJeff

I priced out some top of the line JD garden tractors (X500/700 series), Simplicity, and Kubota, with basic attachments

of 60" deck and dozer blade. Cost was $13-15K. Your kiddin', right? I believe there would be a market for

a true small garden tractor that cost $2K. No need for a 3pt hitch, but a simple factory set up for a sleeve

hitch (price issues), and newer styling. Let's say you had the option of a Murray, a D-series JD lawn tractor,

or other lawn tractor, would you not pay for a true garden tractor equivalent to say, a cool-lookin' 310 or 312?

Ya' can't tell me that the unidrive and frame rail construction of the WH is that much more than the parts on an

MTD. Perhaps I'm wrong. . .

Name recognition (advertising, advertising, advertising) and price.

Jeff