Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

True barn find

Kelly

A few weeks ago while setting up the MI WH show a guy stoped in and asked if I wanted to buy a old WH?? well I said yes but what is it and how much? he said he thought it was a 1964 something, and wanted $40 for it, we swapped phone no.s and went on our way doing things at hand, well I lost his no. in my truck till the other day it was under the seat, so I called him today, and he said he had been thinking of me but lost my no. anyways he said it was in the barn under a semi trailer and I could come look but it might be a while before he could get it out, my oldest son Nick was over today so we went to take a look, this guy has a old barn that was so full it was spilling out in to the yard around it, and only had trails to walk through, with flashlight in hand I found the WH tucked under the trailer, where it had been for years, it took me and Nick 20 min. to dig a trail to pull it out, I think it's a 704, but has a 8hp in it now, blade is a bit rusty, very cool weights not sure if they are home made or not, but I like them, bummer the ags are so dry rotted, I have another set like them Firestone 23x8.5x12s not bad for $40 even came with the orig. front tires that are not so good and the recoil that has a broken spring.

post-85-0-61572700-1346629980_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-88852100-1346630249_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-16443800-1346630532_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

markjs

Nice find. Congrats :)

CRE1992

That is beautiful! I want it!

Jake Kuhn

Thats a nice horse! Can't beat a price like that! Jake

Tankman

When can I come 'n pick the Horse up?

Would fit very comfortable in my barn with my other Horses. They'll get along just fine.

Let me know when, don't worry 'bout a wash 'n paint. We'll take care of that in Pennsy.

Coadster32

Looks like quite a score for $40. Good for you. :handgestures-thumbupright:

AMC RULES

Parting that one out Kelly?

KC9KAS

Looks like you made a very good deal!

whc160

Nice score! :handgestures-thumbupright: Some guys have all the luck.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Nice looking score, for sure!

squonk

Looks like a 604/704. No serial no,? I'm betting on a 604. I went through 4 Teckys as a kid mowing lawns on mine. Wish I was smarter then and dropped in a Kohler. :hide:

Ken B

I'd love too find a deal like that! I love them Firestone ags.

COMMANDO6

Squonk, maybe it was operator error. The way you're talking I am just waiting for mine to explode in a giant fireball!

Kelly, nice find it looks barn fresh.

• Like 2

Cutlas3391

Those are the best finds!!!

krazy_horse

Kelly,Very nice find, Dont guess you would consider selling for a crisp $5.00 bill Profit. HaHa!!

squonk

Squonk, maybe it was operator error. The way you're talking I am just waiting for mine to explode in a giant fireball!

Actually no. I mowed 3 acres, plowed many drives and pulled a 10" plow. All with 6 HP TECKY's. I just think Kohler's are a better motor. Whenever I've had a mower for sale with a Tecky, a lot of people around here at least , shake their head no when they see the Indian head

Kelly

Well quick update, I got it running, I even got the steering wheel off to remove the hood, it had a cotter pin in it and the wheel worked off with a little wiggling, I got tired of raping a rope around the starter drive so I pulled my 314 in front of it and took a long deck drive belt and ran it in a figure 8 from PTO to drive pulley, so much better than pulling a rope, just turn the PTO on and off on the 314, I cleaned the points and hooked up my tank I use to start tractors and it fired right up, no smoke, carb needs cleaned only runs with choke on some, but runs pretty good, I also looked closer to see what it was when born, I'm 99% sure it was a 654, it still has the correct split key switch with start position, the 704 and 604 both used a toggle switch, this still has a plug in the toggle switch hole, after cleaning the frame up where a batt. tray would go I can see it had one at one time, the 704 and 604 didn't have a tray, so like I said pretty sure it was a 654, but they did put a Kohler belt guard on it when the engine swap was done, and the belt guard looks to have never had a model # decal on it, so they may have bought a new one, or this may have been a dealer install, after the tucky gave up, it will make a very nice parts tractor for my 704, and a good running pull start 8hp for something, the rest that I don't need is up for sale.

• Like 1

JUSS10

well i may be interested in some parts for my 654 if you decide to part it out. the idea of throwing in a kohler on my 654 to make a 704 has been tempting me for a while... great find Kelly, I swear you are buying up every last forgotten wheelhorse in this state! ;)

tunahead72

... not bad for $40 ...

Ya think? :ychain:

Nice save! :handgestures-thumbup:

woodbird007

Fantastic. Nice to know they are still out there. Is the secret to be visible working on a couple of WHs to let passers by know that you might give them a few dollars for old ones they want of get rid of?

Jim

Kelly

I'm vey well known in the area for buying and selling tractors and parts, and out back by the barn is about 60 or so WH tractors so people just stop in and ask if I sell or buy, all the local dealers have my busness card on hand and pass out my no. to people looking for vintage parts or to sell old tractors the dealers want to much to repair, I don't even post all the tractors I buy, only the gems like this one, in the past 2 weeks I've picked up a nice 312, GT1100, 856, 654, 857, and have passed on a few others.

CRE1992

Damn! I love the look of that tractor with those ags! I like the wheel weights and firestone tires also!

MR49

sweet!!! :text-bravo:

groundhog47

Wheel weights and all, how do you guys SMELL out these finds, just wows me away!