Sign in to follow this  
Doorvip

Up in smoke

Doorvip

So I was cutting the lawn with my 310-8 when the drive belt started to scream like I had a cat In a fan blade of a car and poof, the smoke started poring out. Let's just say the lawn didn't get finished. I hope the belt just stretched out and is slipping.

Rob

Kelly

Check the idler pulley also it may have seized up.

Doorvip

10-4. Are they in stock ?

Tankman

Sorry to hear 'bout the smoke. :scared-ghostface: Try here for a pulley and a belt.

Good people! http://www.majesticshardware.com/

Doorvip

I was bummed out tankman, my first brake down but I'll give it hell tomorrow and see what I need for parts.

Thanks for the info!!

Rob

JackC

Great example of why we need multiple horses. If one takes a break you just hop on another one and keep mowing.

• Like 1

Doorvip

That's what I tell the woman of the house!!! I made her finish with the push.

• Like 1

Tankman

At last, excellent, understandable, worthy, justifiable reasoning, "That's why I 'need' more than one Horse!"

Should I fake a breakdown, have the "woman of the house" come out and push? Great advice!

I need a D-Horse, just in case! Insurance! With the D, need chains, weights, plow, snow blower, wide deck,

trailer, wagon, new boots, lunch, dinner, oil, more paint, spare belts, another five gallon gas can, more time

on the world wide web, videos of tractor pulls and two fishin' rods! :ychain:

• Like 2

Doorvip

ok, so here is what i found. i pulled off the side cover and the belt is a little sloppy, idler pully looks pretty good but the gas piston looks like its getting hung up and not pushing the idler pully out. i know this was installed as a safty from what i can see for wheelies ????? so do i convert it to a spring or a new shock and if a spring what is the propper procedure ? time to look for some old threads!!!

Kelly

Forget the shock put a spring on it, other side of the tractor there is a small hole in the web on the top of the axle tube, one end of the spring goes there, up where the brake rod hooks to the cast iron arm you will see another hole same size the other end of the spring goes there, not sure of the part no. but most any spring from a earlier 8 speed tractor will work.

If you smoked the belt it might be best to install a new one, I highly recomend a factory Toro belt.

smoreau

I second the factory belt!! They are a little more money, but well worth there weight in gold! they fit right and last longer then anything else.

Doorvip

Kelly that was just the info I was looking for. I think I'll do a belt, idler pully and spring since its apart. Do I need to pull the cover or wheel on the other side to install the spring ?

Kelly

Pull the wheel it will be eaiser

Doorvip

Return spring #108035 from a 1989 310-8 on the way !!!!

Doorvip

krazy_horse

And I thought this was going to be a Cheeh and Chong movie. LOL

Doorvip

I'm so stupid, if I wasn't on my iPhone I would use every icon of banging my head off a wall there is. So I'm cutting the grass and everything's great, I stop to fuel up and after I get back to it my tractor starts the same squealing noise and burning smell that is was doing before. To make a long story short the parking brake didn't release and that's what was the problem from the start. It took me about 10 mins to relies this cause I had my clutch pushed in and didn't notice the brake pedal was in also. At least I fixed a few other things I had to get too. Guess I'll need a brake kit soon HAHAHA so stupid!!!!!!!

Duff

I'm so stupid, if I wasn't on my iPhone I would use every icon of banging my head off a wall there is. So I'm cutting the grass and everything's great, I stop to fuel up and after I get back to it my tractor starts the same squealing noise and burning smell that is was doing before. To make a long story short the parking brake didn't release and that's what was the problem from the start. It took me about 10 mins to relies this cause I had my clutch pushed in and didn't notice the brake pedal was in also. At least I fixed a few other things I had to get too. Guess I'll need a brake kit soon HAHAHA so stupid!!!!!!!

You are by no means the first, nor will you be the last, to encounter this problem! (Ask me how I know!!!!) Do check the oil seal on the brake drum shaft, though, in case the assembly really got hot. I had to change mine........

Duff :thumbs: