Sign in to follow this  
br-549

D-160

br-549

Howdie, I wanted to send some photos of my D-160 . I would love to find others that live in NC to compare notes. I am in the Mtns near Boone NC. I can't get this D-160 to run w/o the choke at half? The tank was cleaned, new filter, and the fuel pump is working. Any suggestions? I will attempt to add some photos. JA

post-6259-0-35743400-1345253771_thumb.jp

post-6259-0-65254900-1345253827_thumb.jp

73-18 automatic

onan correct

br-549

10-4 onan, sorry i should have said so in my post. ja

73-18 automatic

did you clean the carb out

br-549

10-4

73-18 automatic

if you remove the plug on the bottom left there is a jet there you need to make sure its clear

br-549

Ok, i'll try that over the weekend. I just created an albumn- i think. I got these three D's from my Dad just before he fell very ill. He loved using the 180 for snow removal since it was new. I plan to restore it soon. This D-160 was sitting for 15 plus years. The engine was stuck when i started playing with it. I'm pleased to have it running at all. It mows very nice but i have to feather the choke. Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this. JA

1maidenfan

Question for ya, but first... :WRS: and yes we love :wh::banana-gotpics: !

You stated that you have a D180 with a plow, it looks to me that it is actually an 18 auto, which is wheel horse's first model of the D series tractors manufactured in 1973.

Nice looking tractors :flags-usa:

Is the tractor that is missing parts the D180 you speak of?

1maidenfan

Would also like to say that it sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning and possibly a rebuild. :confusion-confused:

Good luck, keep us posted. :text-coolphotos: :text-welcomeconfetti:

Jake Kuhn

:wwp: of the other tractors

coldone

Hey Br 549. You wouldnt happen to be called Junoir would ya?

Hop on 421 south and you will be here in a few hours. I got a D 160 with a finaky carb and a D200 witha problem hydro. The 160 came first and it was a PITA to get the carb close to working. Had major problems with it. I got a rebuild kit from garys place (google it) and the top and bottom halves had warped. i had to surface them to get it to sealup and not suck in extra air. Also had to reseal theintake manifold.

You can check for suction leaks in the manifold by running the engine and squirting starter fluid around the seam of the manifold to see if the engine changes sounds.

Running with the chokeon either means you arent getting enough gas through the carb or you are sucking air in somewhere.

Britt

br-549

no, not a Jr here but " we're dealing!"

Where are you on hwy 421? We are 8 miles off 421 on Hwy 221 just head north, cross under the Blue Ridge Pkw and take the 1st right a then 8 miles.

Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice. It will be a few days before i can get back to work on the WH. We had to fire Dad's caregiver so we are back to staying with him 24/7. Later, jerry

br-549

Hey Britt, are you the one with the D's that i've seen at the engine show in Deep Gap NC (Boone) There is usually someone there with some very nice restored D's but i did not see them this year? Ja

coldone

Jerry its not me at the show up there. Me and hunny bunny were just talking about heading that way in a month or two to see the leaves change.

I am about half way between siler city and sanford. 421 is a mile from my driveway.

JackC

I have a 1977 D-160 with the ONAN BF-MS engine that needed choke to run. I took the carburetor off and took it apart and soaked it overnight in carburetor cleaner. I installed a new float needle and seat that came in a kit. I reset the main jet and idle jet screws according to the service manual.

After I re-installed the carburetor with new carburetor and intake manifold gaskets, the engine lights right off and runs like a top with no choke needed except on cold start. The service manual provides all the details on how to do it.

1maidenfan

I have a 1977 D-160 with the ONAN BF-MS engine that needed choke to run. I took the carburetor off and took it apart and soaked it overnight in carburetor cleaner. I installed a new float needle and seat that came in a kit. I reset the main jet and idle jet screws according to the service manual.

After I re-installed the carburetor with new carburetor and intake manifold gaskets, the engine lights right off and runs like a top with no choke needed except on cold start. The service manual provides all the details on how to do it.

Good post "JACKC" I also done that with my D160 with the same engine and purrrs like a kitten now!

Don1977

:WRS: Good to see more members in North Carolina.