Sign in to follow this  
squonk

Front axle question

squonk

The front spindles are getting quite worn in the front axle bores on my C-160. I have replaced the spindle but there is still too much slop. I have 2 axles out of parts tractors that the spindles fit perfectly. One was out of a 74 C-160 and it has bronze bushings in both spindle bores and and axle pivot. The other is off of a 73 16 auto and has the bone stock holes. I painted it up before I found out the other had the bushings in them. Did :wh: make the bronze axle for any special reason and which one would you use if you were me?

post-2380-0-03291300-1344727035_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-89645600-1344727063_thumb.jp

sorekiwi

I've never seen one with bronze bushes, and I've probably looked at 30 or so.

It is quite possible that someone bored it and installed them. I think its a great idea, as long as they ended up in the right place. Before using it I would probably slide a couple of long 3/4" bars into the spindle bores and eyeball the angles, also check out the bolster pin bore in the centre of the axle to make sure it's square to the axle. A 3 foot long bar is long enough to visibly see differences in angles

jd317_f.jpg

• Like 5

squonk

They were both on parts tractors complete with the wheels, tires and steering parts. Everything looked stock and lined up.

buckrancher

someone who does what I do for a living put the bushing in and that would be the one I would use

Brian

squonk

Thanks Brian, That's the one I was leaning to.

leeave96

I would give the one with the bronze bushing a try. Keep the other axle around - just in case you ever need it. It may be the bronze makes the tractor steer a bit easier too.

Good luck,

Bill

squonk

I would give the one with the bronze bushing a try. Keep the other axle around - just in case you ever need it. It may be the bronze makes the tractor steer a bit easier too.

Good luck,

Bill

That's what I was hoping. :)

Don1977

I plan to install oilite bronze bushing in my front axle. Hope to get by with just an 1/8" over bore haven't check them yet. I can see a little movement when I jack up the front axle.