Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

Harness

Wheelhorse84

I looked at a c-120 today where the entire wiring harness was melted how hard is it to replacement? Can you still buy them?

smoreau

You can find some on evil bay, but I just make my own, Then I know its the right one. I have found most that I got used were hacked up and needed fixing also. so know I just start from scratch and reuse the plugs by soldering new wire to the old plugs and heat shrink all connections.

rmaynard

Unless you find a NOS harness on eBay or elsewhere, your only choice is to find a good used one, or make one yourself. I have made 2 new harnesses for my B-100's. The only difference is and extra circuit for the lights on the C-120. Other than the heavy gauge wires for the starter circuit, everything else is 16 or 14 gauge automotive wire. Five pin connector for the ignition switch is still available. All other connectors are also fairly common.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

Layout the old harness on a scrap piece of plywood. Nails can be used as placeholders for wires exiting the main bundle. Mark the plywood to show the wire lengths / positions and lay in the new braided conduit and wiring. Grab some multicolor wire from Greg's Marine on EBAY.

wireharnessframe3.gif

• Like 1

markjs

So how do you make a new harness if you don't have an old one to go by? I have a D200 and a C121 that both need new ones as part of the restores- and the old wiring is so jacked up I don't know how much if any is original. I have the wiring diagrams in the manuals but that doesn't tell me anything about routing. I want the tractors to be as original as possible so I don't just want to go running wires helter- skelter! Who has done this and how?

Save Old Iron

So how do you make a new harness if you don't have an old one to go by?

If you have a damaged or "botched" harness, the trunk of the harness may still be useable as a guide in duplicating the harness. The dimensions and branches in the trunk of the damaged harness can give you a starting point and allow you to "fill in the branches" to the various end connections in the tractor.

Placement of the trunk and major branches from the trunk can usually be seen in pics posted by other users. Asking for a few shots of the wiring placements will net you some good ideas on where the branches travel.

If you are truly starting from scratch, grab a few magnets and hot glue a cable clamp or tye wrap to the magnet.

Place a magnet in areas on the tractor frame where the main trunk of the harness will run and a magnet or two where the branches will form. Start laying wiring thru these magnetic "place holders" until you have finished the harness. As the harness developes, the magnets will allow some movement of the entire harness within the tractor. This movement will allow for fine tuning of the final harness position. Leave an extra foot or two of wiring in each run for any final adjustments to the end connections (leaves on the branches of the tree trunk so to speak).

Once you have your final harness layed out, either place the wires in expandable nylon sleeving, heat shrink or wrap in electrical tape as needed to form major branches from the trunk of the harness.

Its really not as bad as it sounds as long as you leave a few feet of wire in each circuit to fine tune the final positions.