Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

My Zagray Farms Find

Ken B

What a great day for a show! Got to spend some time with a bunch of good guys there from RedSquare. There is always some good treasure pickin at this show, you never know what you'll find. I have scored something good each and every time I go to Zagray. When I was walking by this vendors spot I had to do a double take. I have never seen Wheel Horse advertising this big. I couldn't believe someone before me didn't snag these! The guy had two of them, one a little smaller and different from this one. I tipped Stevebo off about the other because I know he is building a barn/slash museum and there ain't nothing better than Wheel Horse barn art. This poster is MINT, I'm gonna have it framed. Anyone here got one this big?

IMG_0493_1.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:thumbs: Another awesome score Ken.

312Hydro

Great piece of history there! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

mattd860

Ken - it's definitely a fake. Probably blown up from a magazine article

:)

Ken B

It could be a fake or it could have been blown up from a magazine article for a dealers show room? Either way, the paper appears to be pretty old and very well done. If it is a fake I wonder why everyone isn't doing it? For what I paid I'm pretty happy. I know I don't have the means to do it.

bowtiebutler956

That's Awesome! :text-datsphatyo:

Matt :flags-texas:

refracman

NIce find.

It could be a fake, but WH did distribute adverts this size. A freind has a 58/59 advert about the same size as yours, it came from the dealer he worked for.

stevebo

Ken,

Thanks for the tip. Not sure how I missed that one..?? Here are a few items I picked up today. The "other" poster that Ken told me about. It is smaller than Ken's and has been folded. I will be putting it in a frame as well and it will go into my barn that I hope to build this fall. I picked up a nice early RJ35 mower deck that is in very good overall shape. Gears are smooth and no rot. The last item is a front clip from a 58 RJ which will be perfect for brother Jim's winter build. Like Wallfish said the hood is pretty rough and cut up so it wil be a good candiate.

post-734-0-69514600-1342920770_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-25132900-1342921047_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-77640500-1342921069_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-07861000-1342921180_thumb.jpg

Ken B

Not too rub any salt in your wounds Steve, but I wonder if Vin is gonna post a pic of his sweet little find?

stevebo

I am waiting for it.... I was going to "spill the beans" here but that is for him to do... :angry-nono:

VinsRJ

What..... my little cable steer RJ35 find? LOL! No pics right now (had to take the wife out for dinner tonight) but I'll take a few tomorrow.

I was great to see you guy, had a lot of fun. Hopefully it will not rain for Kent.

stevebo

Yup ! he found a cable steer....

mattd860

Ken, i was only joking in case you missed it. :)

Ken B

I did miss the smiley! lol!

mattd860

I did miss the smiley! lol!

LOL thought so.

Did anyone else get a wicked sunburn today? It wasn't that hot outside but my already tan neck and arms are cherry red.

Ken B

I didn't but my son Cole did, and I doused him with sun spray.

neil

Fake or not that poster is just something else

awesome find Ken

I want one

tiggercl

It would be good to have these posters scanned into digital images (albeit big ones) at a printing shop then distributed so we can take the file(s) to our local printing shop for a copy or two... ;o)

VinsRJ

Well here is what I was able to find at Zagray. Looks to be a legit 55 cable steer. It still retains a number of parts which seem to be missing most of the time with these wrecks; like the belt guard, the veri drive and lift cable. Who ever had this thing replaced the steering cable with a chain???? I will have to machine a new steering shaft spool for sure. But everything is free and spins smooth. Even the lift cable bolt came out of the hitch without effort, Amazing......

During home inspection of the veri drive, I notoced a lot of slop in the center shive, so into the press it went, just a beat key which is a easy fix, should be mint. The left rear hub is in good shape, the right will need a little tooth replacement work, no biggie IMO. New bushings and bearings are ayes, LOL!

The plan for this RJ is to be the basis of a project I have been toying around with for a couple of years... more to come on that.

post-1597-0-41200400-1342959243.jpg

post-1597-0-83182500-1342959252.jpg

post-1597-0-36882300-1342959262.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly

Nice score on the RJ, I take it that is all you got of it? but it looks like the hard to find items are there, you say project, your not modifying it are you??!!!

VinsRJ

Nice score on the RJ, I take it that is all you got of it? but it looks like the hard to find items are there, you say project, your not modifying it are you??!!!

What you see is what I got.

Its not going to be severly modified. What I mean by that is.... no hot rodding or other crazy stupid project. I have always wanted to clone the prototype RJ on the cover of Mike Martino's book and in the 1955 RJ ad. I have already made a buck for the fiberglass hood and was just waiting for the right foundation to do it (what better than a blown-out cable steer?). Other than removing the gas tank stand and welding up a number of pre-owner drilled holes... thats about it for the mods. I have a contact with a Briggs model 8 and I have a Schnacke in stock, as wheel as, a mint set of front RJ35 rims.. I also have a set of early 6-12 rear rims which are the rivited type like on the prototype. I will fab up the steering wheel as well as a diffrent pair of front spindles like omn the prototype.

Best of all, this will be a nice clean driver..... 2013 WH Show here it comes. LOL!

Ken B

It would be good to have these posters scanned into digital images (albeit big ones) at a printing shop then distributed so we can take the file(s) to our local printing shop for a copy or two... ;o)

Not a bad idea but I really believe these are original posters. There is no way I'd want to be "the guy" to introduce fakes to the market.

AMC RULES

It's a kooky hobby.

We can clone tractors, but can't reprint reprints.

:ychain:

• Like 1

VinsRJ

Not a bad idea but I really believe these are original posters. There is no way I'd want to be "the guy" to introduce fakes to the market.

I saw both posters in the flesh and have to say they are legit.

Ken B

It's a kooky hobby.

We can clone tractors, but can't reprint reprints.

:ychain:

That is right Craig, sooner or later some clown would have them all over Epay rippin people off.

• Like 1