Sign in to follow this  
backinthesaddle

My horse is dead

backinthesaddle

I recently inherited my dad's 1969 Charger 10 with a Tecumseh HH100 cast engine. Although it hasn't been run for several years, my mom had been hanging on to it for sentimental reasons after my father's death. The dealer who used to maintain the tractor is out of business, but my mom kept all of the records. At the end of it's working life, it was diagnosed as having a bad alternator, ignition (solid state), regulator and a cracked block (no compression at all). After doing a little research, I have come to the conclusion that NO REPLACEMENT PARTS FOR THIS MACHINE EXIST IN THIS UNIVERSE. I am looking for advice on some way to get this horse running again. I am not so concerned about maintaining original parts as I am getting it to work. Any help/experience anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

oldredrider

Find a good K-241 Kohler, change the wiring over for it and enjoy it for 30 years or so.

• Like 1

Trouty56

Welcome to the forum...

Look for a replacement engine like a 12 hp kohler. There is a work around for the techy engine or so i have been told.

• Like 1

Sparky

I agree, find a good 10-16hp Kohler single cylinder motor and you'll be all set.

Mike............

• Like 1

jay in nc

condo630 has an engine for sale. glen at the big show had a whole truck of teckys he was selling cheap said he was not going to bring them back. anyone know how to get ahold of him? j-dog also has a couple of hh100 teckys. they are out therenot to hard to find Jay

• Like 1

rwilson

There is a work around for the ignition system on the solid state tecumsehs. Eather a ford, GM, or chrysler ignitn system will work. I went the chrysler route!! http://gardentractor...om/ignition.htm

there is alot of reading here. He explains everyting in detail and even tells you where to get your parts. I made a trip to my local junkyard and found all the parts i needed under 1 hood for like 20 bucks.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: I agree with Jason and bob. A replacement kohler will solve a lot of headaches. Jake

• Like 1

backinthesaddle

Thanks to all for the advice. :bow-blue: I found a shop right here in Ohio that sells rebuilt Kohler cast blocks, but my concern, again, is availability of parts. Several websites I visited showed common items (carb, fuel pump) were discontinued/not available.