Sign in to follow this  
tomtractor

Wheel Horse C vs. Power King

tomtractor

Like the title suggests. How does a Wheel Horse C125 vs. Power King 12hp tractor match up. What can the Power King do better than the Wheel Horse c-125. What does the WH do better?

smoreau

Wheel horse has a lot more attachments then a power king

Parts Are easy to find also

Pollack Pete

Power Kings are not the right color.

CRE1992

Actually you would be surprised powerking had just as many attachments if not more. But finding the attachments is the hard part.

Like the title suggests. How does a Wheel Horse C125 vs. Power King 12hp tractor match up. What can the Power King do better than the Wheel Horse c-125. What does the WH do better?

A 12hp powerking model depending would easily out pull a wheel horse. Ask a couple of the members on here who have one or own one, including myself. (Stevebo, Ken B, Fireman, and Squonk) I have a powerking 1614 and love it. Powerkings though having the same engine seem to have much more torque because of the way they are geared. Easily losing traction before power. Mine towed a 3500lb + lift all day long without a problem.

e5057969.jpg

cc522c4b.jpg

39bc9fe8.jpg

wheelhorse 1045

Actually you would be surprised powerking had just as many attachments if not more. But finding the attachments is the hard part.

A 12hp powerking model depending would easily out pull a wheel horse. Ask a couple of the members on here who have one or own one, including myself. (Stevebo, Ken B, Fireman, and Squonk) I have a powerking 1614 and love it. Powerkings though having the same engine seem to have much more torque because of the way they are geared. Easily losing traction before power. Mine towed a 3500lb + lift all day long without a problem.

e5057969.jpg

cc522c4b.jpg

39bc9fe8.jpg

now thats what i call an action shot great pics

refracman

Comparing a C125 to a Powerking is not apples to apples, Maybe a C195 to the single trans PowerKing is closer but still not the same. If your talking the double trans PKs then WH has nothing that would compare. As for attachments WH has the PKs beat just because of the amount of them out there not because of diversity.

I have a 59 Economy/PK it dont get used much except for pullin the heavy stuff.

O ya nice action shots!

Ken B

Power Kings are not the right color.

They are closer to red than Bolens green or gold! :ychain:

TT

What if it's a Power King 1212? :confusion-shrug:

squonk

My King 2414 pulled a large heavy crate full of rocks and old lumber 50 feet in first gear at idle while a 14 horse Gravely just did wheelies :) :thumbs:

squonk

Another thing. Before I built the loader I had a blade on it and had a drift of snow higher than my wife's Subaru. I put the blade down and let out the clutch and hit that drift. The King didn't stop until I decided it had pushed the snow far enough!

varosd

did powerking make any smaller models such as a garden tractor size? all the great pictures of the powerkings make them more of a compact tractor? not sure the verbage really makes a difference...power and torque do.

bean

A 12hp powerking model depending would easily out pull a wheel horse.. Mine towed a 3500lb + lift all day long

I pulled a 3000lb trailer of sheet metal up and down our driveway with my 310-8. :teasing-neener:

I do love the power king jim dandy tractor. I was looking for one for a while.

TT

did powerking make any smaller models such as a garden tractor size?

That's why I brought up the 1212 in my previous post, Don. 12hp with 12" rear wheels - G (gear) or H (hydro) models were both available and are of a more equivalent size to the Wheel Horse garden tractors.

pk1212h.jpg

Like comparing an Oliver Cletrac to a D-4 Cat, it's still "apples & oranges" though. :confusion-shrug:

varosd

Terry

Now that looks more equal footing with a D200 or C-195 or another "fill in the blank" WH??? there was a PK sorta like your picture in the MD area with Kohler 17 hp on CL last year.

Mikes and Charles and others PK's are in a different league!

I learn more stuff everyday from you guys.

Wheel Horse Kid

I agree that it is comparing apples and oranges. You just have 2 different types of machines.

rexman72

i think a d series would compare the best with a power king for the wheelhorses

squonk

That plastic bodied gear drive Kings had major clutch troubles. Lot's of $$$$$$$$$$ :jaw:

TT

Speak of the devil......

On a parts run today and stumbled across a 1212

Price tag on the hood was $299.95 For $1 I'll tell you where it is! :ychain:

PK1212H.jpg

In the same neighborhood, a rough-around-the-edges C-145 8 speed for $499.95:

C-1458.jpg

CRE1992

Like I said in my first post its model depending. But you cant say well lets compare a D series or a C195 to a 12hp power king ... You have a 16, 18, or 20 hp engine in the D series and a 19hp engine in the C195. So as was said previously it is comparing apple to oranges.

squonk

The plastic Kings are nothing like the metal ones. Here's my 2414 compared to my 704

IMG_0092.jpg

• Like 2

tomtractor

How does the Power King with 48 inch mower deck compare to the WH with 42inch mower deck? For use around the house. Is the Power King not maneuverable or does the deck chafe the grass. Also I believe the Jim Dandy model is smaller. Would that be more appropriate for around the house.

wh416lbz

I personally have had John deers, cadets ,etc and these are my first wheel horses. Out of all of them I really like the wheel horse because the price on used ones are easily affordable and I like actually having to hunt for them. But I will say that the 300 series and 400 series older John deeres are hands down the most rugged built I've seen as far as a garden tractor goes! But I'll still take these red ones.

tomtractor

Green is good. But ... How does the Power King with 48 inch mower deck compare to the WH with 42inch mower deck? For use around the house. Is the Power King not maneuverable or does the deck chafe the grass. Also I believe the Jim Dandy model is smaller. Would that be more appropriate for around the house.

squonk

The bigger Kings are more at home on like an estate with a big lawn. A friend of mine had the smaller Jim Dandy and loved mowing his field with it. Around his house he used a Lawn Ranger.