Sign in to follow this  
damon91

Wheel horse commando 8

damon91

Hi there, I am new to this. I just purchaced a 1968 commando 8 which is in fairly good condition and runs good. I am hoping fo fix it up and make it origonal as possible. Here is where my confusion starts. This tractor has a Kohler K181 motor spec# 30536d serial 5211446. from all of the lists I have found, this tractor is supposed to have a spec# 30108d in it. As you can see in the pictures their is paint missing where the starter/generator bracket once was. there is now a modern style starter, and charging system installed (notice the shroud was cut with tin snips to accomodate the starter bendix). From all the lists I have seen, their is not one Wheel Horse listed to have this spec# 30536d, but if you search "spec# 30536d" on the internet it will bring up pages with wheelhorse models 854, and 855's having origonal looking engines with the same spec # as mine. even though the lists say thats not the engine thats supposed to be in there.

Have any of you guys run into this or have any insight on the matter?

I want to think my tractor has the origonal motor but im not sure

Any info would be appreciated, this has me stumped!

post-8026-0-09381900-1342397848.jpg

post-8026-0-39079400-1342397857.jpg

post-8026-0-06475100-1342397865.jpg

post-8026-0-63398300-1342397877.jpg

Sparky

Sounds like the original motor is long gone and a newer K-181 was installed. The starter on the original was mounted up much higher(kinda where your coils is now) and the battery would have sat nicely in the battery box without those wood blocks.

:WRS:

Mike.........

MarkPalmer

You can compile the stuff you need on E-Bay to bring it back to original look. You'll need a starter generator/regulator and mounting brackets, flywheel pulley/belt and cover, and the bracket to mount the coil to the front of the engine by the points. There are also two studs in place of head bolts. You would then no longer need the starter or alternator on the engine now. The K181 engine block itself remains virtually identical between the two methods of starting and charging systems. Those parts are usually easy and inexpensive to come across in the Bay.

I can tell by the paint markings on the shrouds this engine originally used a starter/generator system.

-Mark-

Rooster

Serial number makes that engine a 1973 model....so not original ;)

damon91

I appreciate the input! I am in the process of trying to find a starter generator for it. No luck so far, does anyone have the delco remy model number for the S G that was on this engine? from the list I have the spec# was the same on the 856, 857, and commando 8's. I would assume that would mean they all used the same starter generator?

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Wheel_Horse_Products_Master_Model_List.pdf

MarkPalmer

The S/G was supplied with the engine from Kohler. One I have in front of me is model 1101973, this was used on the K181 but there are a bunch of Delco models that will work on your engine.

I am not the person selling this yadda-yadda, but if you type, "1965 John Deere 110 Tractor Starter/Generator Brackets," in to E-Bay, you'll see the exact set of 3 brackets you'll need to mount a common Delco S/G to the K181 for the Commando 8.

-Mark-

• Like 1

Rooster

Mark,

Do you have a Delco Part# for the S/G?

MarkPalmer

The 1101973 is the number I took off the Delco builder plate so it should be the Delco part number. This S/G number is from the original K181 used on my WH 867, Commando 8 setup should be identical.

The same fellow selling that bracket set I posted before also has the flywheel mount pulley for the K181 that will be needed for Damon91's S/G setup. Again I'm not the person selling those parts, but its a good way to point out what they look like to those who have to track them down.

I can point out what parts will work, but I'm not at all in to the exact concours d'elegance restoration "numbers matching," thing- that's a little too psycho for lawn tractors IMHO. :)

-Mark-

• Like 1