Sign in to follow this  
squonk

Rj-59 Trans capacity

squonk

Changing the gear oil in the RJ-59 and need to know how much to put back in. :scratchead: Lube chart in files starts in 1960. :eusa-whistle:

stevasaurus

Mike, it will take from 1 to 1 1/2 quarts...close to the later. There is a drain plug on the bottom and one close to it up on the side. The fluid should be at the level of the above plug. I find it easier to pour the oil in where the shifter goes into the trans (under the boot) until it starts to run out that higher plug. :)

• Like 1

squonk

I've looked twice and see no upper plug. Just the drain and fill. I'll measure 1.5 qts. and put it in w a suction gun. I'm just getting the feel for this little tike. If I don't sell it within 3 weeks I'll be hauling pizza's with it at our local steam pageant! :)

stevasaurus

Mike, the check plug should be located on the right side cover next to the axle tube...you should be good with 1 1/2 quarts. :)

:)

squonk

Here's a pic of the only plug in the side of the trans. Maybe in 59 they did away with the 2nd plug? The only other plug I find is on the top. Nothing on the bottom either.

post-2380-0-71353000-1342396106_thumb.jp

stevasaurus

That is the check plug Mike...fill trans until it starts to run out that hole. I know it looks like it should be higher, but it is enough for the gears to run through the oil.

Edit...I went back and looked at my pictures, and I saw no drain plug on the bottom either. You may have to drop the right wheel and tip the horse to drain it out that check hole. How does the fluid in the trans look??

• Like 1

squonk

That's how I drained it. Took off the wheel and cranked up the left side. Oil looked knarly. I flushed out the trans and put in a mixture of 90 wt gear lube and some Lucas oil stabilizer. It worked wonders on my Power King

stevasaurus

Cool, you should be OK. You may want to put a few hours on it and re drain and refill in the spring if the old oil is suspect. :) You need good oil on these little guys. There is no axle bearings...just brass bushings on both ends of the axles.

specialwheelhorse

Hey Fella's You have about six drain plugs on these trany's.

Pull any one of the 5/16s bolts out of the bottom of the case

as these all pass thru the center section and will drain. Just

put a little hooky gooky on the bolt when you fasten it up to

prevent any leakage.And while got it drained if you notice any

leakage around any of the other bolts pull them out one at

a time and gooky them as well. Jim in TEXAS

stevasaurus

You know Jim, you are absolutely right, any one of those bottom bolts would work to drain the oil without messing up the gasket. Good call mate...thanks. :)

• Like 1