Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Why you need a few Wheel Horses

sorekiwi

So while some of you are hanging out and drinking cocktails around the campfire in PA this weekend, some of us are at home working!

When I moved into my current house a few years back there was a huge, dead as a doornail, pinetree 10 feet from the front door. Local opinion was that it was around 100 years old, nearly 5 feet in diameter, and around 60 feet high.

House on one side, power lines on the other, I paid someone to come and cut it down. I had the stump ground and it took me 2 years to get rid of the chips as mulch in the garden. I had to get them to come back and grind a bit more of the roots, which they did this morning I also wanted to reprofile the slope down to the creek, trying to eliminate a boggy patch that I've got stuck in half a dozen times in the past.

I got 5 yards of topsoil delivered and got busy with some horses.

IMG_3709.jpg

Pushed some dirt around with this:

IMG_3711.jpg

A bit of grading with this:

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

Followed by some rolling with this:

IMG_3710.jpg

A couple of hours later:

IMG_3717.jpg

I'l hit it again tomorrow, and then see if I can get some grass to grow in this dry heat we have been having this summer.

• Like 2

1maidenfan

Nice work :woohoo:

You have a really nice herd there :bow-blue:

That ranger with the roller is :wicked:

:text-coolphotos:

312Hydro

:text-yeahthat: Sure is great to have the proper tools for the job! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Jake Kuhn

You and the horses did a great job on that! And those are some cool photos,thanks for posting! Jake

KC9KAS

Good thing you had a stable full of horses for the job!

Very nice looking herd.

3609horse

So while some of you are hanging out and drinking cocktails around the campfire in PA this weekend, some of us are at home working!

When I moved into my current house a few years back there was a huge, dead as a doornail, pinetree 10 feet from the front door. Local opinion was that it was around 100 years old, nearly 5 feet in diameter, and around 60 feet high.

House on one side, power lines on the other, I paid someone to come and cut it down. I had the stump ground and it took me 2 years to get rid of the chips as mulch in the garden. I had to get them to come back and grind a bit more of the roots, which they did this morning I also wanted to reprofile the slope down to the creek, trying to eliminate a boggy patch that I've got stuck in half a dozen times in the past.

I got 5 yards of topsoil delivered and got busy with some horses.

IMG_3709.jpg

Pushed some dirt around with this:

IMG_3711.jpg

A bit of grading with this:

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

Followed by some rolling with this:

IMG_3710.jpg

A couple of hours later:

IMG_3717.jpg

I'l hit it again tomorrow, and then see if I can get some grass to grow in this dry heat we have been having this summer.

I love that lawn ranger with the duals. Where did you get those mufflers that are on all your tractors, I would like

to get one for my lawn ranger. Nice looking tractors makes doing yard work fun with equipment like yours.

Gene...

dclarke

Nice job Mike! Nice not to have to swap implements, just fire up another horse. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

Where did you get those mufflers that are on all your tractors, I would like

to get one for my lawn ranger.

Its a Gravely muffler

GravelyMuffler.jpg

COMMANDO6

Cool pics. Like the duals on the Ranger.

Sparky

Nice job Mike. I did the same thing this spring in my front yard. No stumps, just some low spots and a couple sink holes.

Mike............

massey

Nice job, I've got the same project to do on my side yard.

312Hydro

Nice job, I've got the same project to do on my side yard.

I wonder what :wh: you'll use? :eusa-whistle:
  • Like 1

jaydeer

Nice work Mike. All you need now is the 1054 with a seed spreader on it and the job would be complete!

ben06351

Well done Sir. Well done....

bean

I love the ranger. :)

I'd like to hear the gravely muffler. it would look great with the flapper top.

sorekiwi

I love the ranger. :)

I'd like to hear the gravely muffler..

The Gravely muffler sounds really good on the small block Kohlers (the Ranger has a K181 in it). Its not super quiet but it does take most of the bark out, and I much prefer it to the pepperpot style mufflers.

A month or two ago I was doing something with the 1267, and the bark from the pepperpot muffler on that was.making my head hurt. So I put one on that, but I've been a little disappointed with the results. Its still too loud. I need to sort out something different for that tractor.

Still a little undecided on the stack height on the Ranger, It looks more or less right (in my opinion anyway!!) but it does end up at face height. The reason its still all held together with exhaust clamps is that I have a problem with commitment.

Sunday I added another tractor to the mix, I decided to roll again after I spread the grass seed, and I thought the big wide turf tires on the 520 might be gentler on the ground. So it got the rolling duties for that. 4 tractors needed for that little landscaping job!!

wheelhorsec85

NICE JOB BUT I HAVE A QUESTION . where in the right foot rest on your lawn ranger :eusa-think: ?????? either i cant see it in the pics or it really is not there :confusion-helpsos:

sorekiwi

NICE JOB BUT I HAVE A QUESTION . where in the right foot rest on your lawn ranger :eusa-think: ?????? either i cant see it in the pics or it really is not there :confusion-helpsos:

'63"s just have a little stub sticking out from the frame, and they had a seperate piece that could slip over the stub to act as a footrest. I have dimensions and pictures of that piece, but in the 5 years or so that I've had that tractor I've never got around to making one.

The oil drain pipe on that particilar engine comes out the right side, and I catch myself resting my foot on that. :hide: .

There is a little bit of discussion about the footrest in my build thread:

whc160

A month or two ago I was doing something with the 1267, and the bark from the pepperpot muffler on that was.making my head hurt. So I put one on that, but I've been a little disappointed with the results. Its still too loud. I need to sort out something different for that tractor.

You might want to try one of these mufflers on your 1267.

6843823751_0b552925c3_m.jpg

It is a Cub muffler from a model 108 with the bracket cut off at the top. Sounds good on my K341's.

6843824941_c7acf77b2e_m.jpg