Sign in to follow this  
bean

I have this crazy idea

bean

I am thinking about doing an engine/transmission swap on my '73 8hp. I may put a 10hp magnum engine and 8spd trans into the 8hp chassis. the 310-8 tractor is a real nice design, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I really like the 8hp's size and looks.

the 8hp kohler gets the job done, but when plowing or using the 42" deck, it is always at the edge of its power. the 10hp just walks through the same workload.

I did several rough measurements and it looks like everything will bolt in. it will be a short frame, 10hp, 8spd tractor

. if you haven't seen a commando 800 or '73 8hp in person, I can tell you that they are small tractors. I had a b-80 and it towered over the '73.

I will say one thing, the kohler 8hp k181 is an amazing engine. if you take one apart, it is obvious that they were built to last forever. I just need MORE POWER.

I know I am probably crazy for even thinking this, but my '73 is the tractor I like best. it is like an rj or lawn ranger, but with electric start, tach-a-matic, modern pto, etc. I am looking at a snow blower and tiller, and will need the 10hp to make it work.

any opinions on this undertaking?

post-5404-0-24030700-1340425985_thumb.jp

• Like 1

MarkPalmer

I don't think you are crazy at all, and the swap wouldn't be difficult to do. If it's your working man's tractor and you want it to do more work, I say go for it. The purists may say no, but it's not a show or collector machine where you worry about originality or scratching up your new base-clearcoat. I was going to do a bigger K series swap with my 867 (and the thought still lingers in my head), but I already have a bigger tractor and figured rebuilding the original K181 will work fine for my wishes from the tractor. It's all about what you want to do with your tractor to get the most fun or most use from it.

-Mark-

• Like 2

bean

Mark,

I am glad you agree. I thought I might be by myself.

everything looks like a bolt in. the hour gauge and voltmeter will have to have a custom panel. all of the electronics can be relocated on the '73. my only snag may be the grandson. he likes the 310 and may say "nothin' doing" :angry-nono:

jusjeepn

Buy another tractor maybe?

AMC RULES

Why not, bigger is better...right?

Plus, it's your tractor...so, build it to suit your needs.

Remember, when you do the swap... :wwp:

Wheel Horse Kid

Sounds like a great idea! If the 73 8hp is the tractor that you really like, why should you not make it more suitable for your needs??? I am all for it! Like Craig said, be sure to take pics of the conversion for us!

• Like 1

bean

I ran it by the grandson, and I have to tell you, I haven't seen " that look" since I asked for my dads keys the day I got my learners permit.

MaineDad

The 73 to 77 is the sweet spot for these tractors I think. So go for it.

Foozerush

Go for it!!! Any thoughts of even stepping up to a 12? Would one fit with out too much modification? And are you just swapping engine/trans from said 310-8, and put the 8 and tranny on the 310 to have 2 functioning horses? Interesting swap!! Can't wait to see your decision!! Fooze

• Like 1

bean

I did a little closer measurement and the 10 will probably not clear without modifying the hood. it is so close. there is probably 1/4 clearance in several spots. I'm afraid there may be some cooling issues. I think it can still be done..

when you get the 8hp and 10hp kohlers side by side, the size difference is quite a bit. the 10hp is a very large motor, by comparison

a 12 hp 8spd would be fantastic.that could also be a possibilty. I see several 12hp's in my area craigslist

bean

I was going to do a bigger K series swap with my 867 (and the thought still lingers in my head),

-Mark-

Mark,

I looked at a 867 once. aren't they the first 8hp 8spd short frame tractor? or maybe the only one? and I think they had a limited slip diff.

it wasn't for sale at the time. really nice tractor, though

Callen

Can you just change the sheet metal from one to the other? Are they the same wheelbase?

bean

Can you just change the sheet metal from one to the other? Are they the same wheelbase?

no, the 310-8 is a long wheelbase tractor. the 8hp is a short wheelbase. there are a lot of other differences.

the 8hp could be a spare tire for the 310-8. it's pretty small.

there are some interchangable parts. the front axle is one.

MarkPalmer

I was going to do a bigger K series swap with my 867 (and the thought still lingers in my head),

-Mark-

Mark,

I looked at a 867 once. aren't they the first 8hp 8spd short frame tractor? or maybe the only one? and I think they had a limited slip diff.

I'm not a Wheel Horse expert, but I believe the answers to the first two questions is yes, I'm not sure about limted slip. I am keeping it original, only replacing the parts needed to make it yard worthy.

-Mark-

bean

-Mark-

Mark,

I'm not a Wheel Horse expert, but I believe the answers to the first two questions is yes, I'm not sure about limted slip.

-Mark-

I'm pretty sure it is a limited slip diff

.in my opinion, wheel horse may have built the perfect tractor with the 867. I am not sure why they got away from the short frame 8spd.

MarkPalmer

-Mark-

Mark,

I'm not a Wheel Horse expert, but I believe the answers to the first two questions is yes, I'm not sure about limted slip.

-Mark-

I'm pretty sure it is a limited slip diff

.in my opinion, wheel horse may have built the perfect tractor with the 867. I am not sure why they got away from the short frame 8spd.

You are probably right about the limited slip. My father in law used the tractor for a lot of snow plowing and said it did a great job with it.

Edit: I found a chart that states the transaxle is a limited slip 5060, used in '67 on the 867, 1067, and 1267 and for '68 on the Raider 9, 10, and 12.

-Mark-