Sign in to follow this  
Brrly1

Question for the guru's

Brrly1

Well as most of you know I have a NOS wagon. I am curious if I was going to go ahead and grease up all of the bearings this week as I am taking it to it's first show. Then bringing it home to have my grand daughter come over with the rest of the family on Sunday for a barbeque. The better-half is already asking if I can give her rides in the wagon. I don't think it will lose its NOS status but I am curious as to what you guys think?

Food for thought?

Kelly

Use it, but I would put a blanket in the bottom, now don't haul rocks in it, but I'm all for hauling your grand kids in it.

squonk

That's what those big wagons are for! :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Is the NOS wagon you're referring to the same one that's in your avatar John?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_old_stock

neil

Myself i would rather use one of my older trailers if posssible and try to save the good one for best .

I know Kids will be Kids but one scratch or chip or dirty tires could loose it nos status and with all good intension damage will happen at some point

But on the other hand its great to see the kids having rides on the tractors

dont know if im helping much John

if i have to be Honest i thonk i would rather have some fun with the kids but keep[ the trailer hidden and use some other way to give the kiddies a ride

oldredrider

I am not a collector, so I have a different opinion. Just like our tractors, the implements were designed and built to be put to work.

If you want to keep it NOS, put it away and never use it. That's what NOS means.

That's all I have to say about that.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Where's the fun in keeping it around, if you can't at least give the kids rides in it? :hide: I say go for it, and take lots of pics for the rest of us to see. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

can whlvr

I am not a collector, so I have a different opinion. Just like our tractors, the implements were designed and built to be put to work.

If you want to keep it NOS, put it away and never use it. That's what NOS means.

ya that

Ken B

If the grand daughter can't at least go for a ride in it then to me it is a waste to even have it. If you don't go hauling rocks and dirt with it I think the NOS status is safe.

• Like 2

Hammerhead

Hey Brrly, good to hear from you! Been awhile since I heard from ya. I would keep it NOS and unused for sure, it can only be that way once! Probably one of only a hand full of NOS carts still in existence, but that is just me!!! Keith

KC9KAS

I would have to agree.

If you want something to stay "NOS" then it needs to stay in pristene condition.

MalMac

You know there are a lot of different ways to look at this and there is no right or wrong. In years past I would have to say don't use it. Now I have a little different thought on that now do to something I heard and 89 year old woman say once. She was talking about some good china she had. She pointed to it and said there it sits waiting for that one special occasion. Well she said her I am 89 years old and was always afraid to use it waiting for the right time. Now the time has came and went. My time on this earth is short and I have miss my chance to enjoy and show off my china. She kept going on but I think you get the picture here. If not now, when? You can't take it with you. Enjoy it while you can. If you get enjoyment from just going out in the shop, barn or garage or whatever and looking at it then great. But if you keep wishing you could pull it but are afraid to then like the old lady you will miss out. Just my .02 worth. Can't remember when and where I heard this but it's kinda stuck with me.

• Like 5

AMC RULES

What's more valuable than the memory of being surrounded by the one's you love, and giving your granddaughter her first ride in your NOS wagon?

:wwp:

JC 1965

Well, you can keep it NOS and and go out and look at it from time to time and maybe it will be worth more money at some point in the future. 0r, your grand daughter can tell her children about the great memories she has of her grandpa riding her around the yard in his nice shinny Wheel Horse trailer when she was a little girl. I guess it's a toss up. :dunno: :hide:

COMMANDO6

MalMac's right. If not now, then when? Chances are in 20 years you're either gonna regret letting the kid ride in it and scuff it up or you're gonna regret not letting the kid ride in it. You're kinda stuck. If I were in you're position, I probably would let her ride in it.

Another interesting thing to think about, is how Tow Mater keeps all his dings and dents because each one is a memory and is important to him.

I say let her ride in it and have fun. :twocents-twocents:

dennist

It is no toss up for me- Use and enjoy it while you can. At some point it WILL be used even if it is after you are gone, atleast you can appreciate it and you never know who may end up with it down the road and they could treat it with absolute abuse.....

neil

Ive been kinda thinking on this one John my earlier thought was to keep it NOS and not use it, & going by the different opinions on this, it kinda leaves it as the devil you do & the devil you dont. Either way whatever you choose to do will be the right choice as fate made you choose .

So if you let fate play its part then that was the right choice in other words go with your what heart tells you .

If it was a nos Tractor would you drive it . & if you decided to sell it now then it would be classed as second hand so would that still be classed as NOS . :dunno:

stevasaurus

If it was a NOS tractor, I could see not using it, but it is a trailer. You could use one of your other 4 wheeled wagons and leave the NOS trailer hanging on the wall. :) :) You've got to ask yourself one question..."Do I feel lucky" Well...?

• Like 1

Rooster

Like has been said, It is your decision to live with.....Once it has been used' ITS USED!

Once a blade or plow hit the dirt, a mower cuts a blade of grass, or a thrower throws snow...its not New any more!

So if it is important to you that it stay new...and you have other trailers that will pull the kids just fine..they will giggle just as loud in a used trailer ride as in the new one!

If it were me, I'd put the kid in it and hand her a hammer..... :ychain:

• Like 2

refracman

I consider NOS (New Old Stock) still in the box, once out of the box and assembled, installed or started, well its used, no matter what.

This unit has been out for some time.

John, use it for speical times like this and enjoy it.

• Like 3

Kelly

Like I said use it, enjoy it, but use precautions to keep it nice, a blanket or something to line the bottom and ask them to be careful with Grand Dads prized possession, and take lots of pics, heck I bet if you just let it set, at some point something will happen to it and no one will be enjoying it at the time.

Dockfishin

To me the memories and pictures for you your better half and the grand daughter trump any NOS value by 10 fold. it's not trashing it by filling with rocks or hauling firewood when you take the grand daughter for rides, it's adding value that having it hang on a wall could never give. It's giving your grand daughter memories and times with you sharing your passion, it's doing the same for your better half. The pictures will be with your grand daughter forever and that means the trailer will be too long after this thing we call NOS wears off. I think that value outweighs any of they others by so far it's not a hard choice if it were me. But that's me and everyone has to make those choices for themselves. I love these machines but I think we get carried away here on them to be honest.

• Like 1

Hammerhead

Ok, I changed my mind on this matter! Go ahead and have fun with the kiddies. I'd use a blanket too, just to be safe. Good idea Rooster with the kids and the hammer! KJ

Ken B

If'n you do decide to give the young lady and a few friends a ride, take pictures or video. It will be something you can always look back upon as a cherished moment. Above all else, have fun! Life is too short.

6wheeler

USE IT! I guess I am not much of a collector. NOS to me, means something I found and bought but just haven't used yet. Everything I own is designed to use. I have old archery equipment and my train sets and stuff like that. People always say, " You shouldn't use that, you should put it away in storage so it stays nice". If I wanted something pristine and never got used, I would get e picture of it and hang it on my shop wall. So, technically. Even the pictures would be getting used. I am a BAD collector, I should be sent out to my shop and think about what I've done. I'm sorry. Pat

• Like 1