JUSS10

Miller tire paint, before and after pic

JUSS10

Now I know this paint has been discussed before but I just thought I would show some before and after pictures of a rough set of tires that Kelly saved from being brought to the dump. I picked them up this Wednesday and finally got to cleaning them today.

I mixed the paint 50/50 as specified and as everyone says a little goes a long way. Just thought I would post a pic of the two tires next to each other, one as I got them and one that was cleaned and painted. I cleaned the tires using an aggressive scrub brush and wesleys bleach white cleaner.

4df32d81.jpg

As you can see it really makes a rough tire look great. It doesn't really do much from cracks put it does cover well and really makes the text and warn parts look much more rips and defined.

I plan to try a few more tires on my normal use machines and really put the stuff to the test

Justin

Martin

yep that paint is good stuff.

i got my rears for the 1054 from kelly about this time last year and cleaned them up the same. they looked about the same condition as yours to begin with.

like it shows in your pic above, i was surprised how good they turned out......

before...

CIMG0868.jpg

after...

CIMG0869.jpg

like you mentioned justin, it doesnt really fix cracks, but it fills some of the aging 'grain' and roughness, or dryness in the rubber. it makes the rubber softer as well, and im sure adds more life to an otherwise done for tire. i still notice some big cracks in mine, maybe some more application would help them a little...

im sure youve already noticed a little goes a long way as well.......

Jake Kuhn

Wow,that makes a big difference in them! Jake

AMC RULES

That stuff ain't cheap though...right at twenty bucks a bottle, hope it does more than one set of tires.

JUSS10

I bet it could do 20 sets of tires. A little really goes a long way. I bet I used 2 fluid oz of paint to do a large set of tires

AMC RULES

Did you find it somewhere for a better price Jay?

JUSS10

I paid $20 plus $10 to ship. Pricey yes, but it goes a long way and can really give you that little extra something to spruce up your tractor

rexman72

looks brand new

Kelly

Martin, the tires you got from me looked NEW compared to the ones Justin picked up, Justin they look good from a ways away, I know they were cracked BAD I heard you can fill the cracks some by putting more paint on and wiping off the surface.

Martin

If that's the case, then Justin, they look good from here. I tried them on the really bad ones I had here and they helped the cracks a little but they are still there. It won't fill them big ones without a lot of applications.

The ones I got from you Kelly did look good when I got them at mentone last year, but with a few miles on them now even with the millers paint they are showing some deep cracks. I guess you can't completely stop the aging process. Ive been thinking of doing a few more applications to see if it helps. The tires still look 'new' from 20 feet but up close you can see the effects of drying out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelly

Martin the ones you got had weather checking with some cracks, the ones Justin picked up you could see the cords in places, with BIG cracks, I gave them to him they were headed to the tire recycle yesterday.

AMC RULES

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the Miller tire paint...but I think it's counterintuitive to the preservation of used tires(drys them out even more).

I think most people are aware of RuGLYDE, you mostly see it being used in tire shops when mounting up new tires...it's what they dress the bead with before mounting the tire on the rim. This stuff is amazing, actually remoisturizes the rubber. Those little dry checks, and cracks actually seem to close back up, and are virtually unnoticeable with regular applications. I too start cleaning old tires with Wesleys Bleach White, then I put the RuGLYDE into a old spray bottle and use full strength. Spray it on the tires liberally, place them in a large plastic garbage bag, and let them sit...the longer the better. Keep turning them over every day or so, so they remain wet in the bag. After about a week, take them out and give them a bath...you'll be amazed at the results. Cost is about the same as the Miller's, but it's a gallon size container, and when used like this, lasts forever. Available off the shelf at your local NAPA dealer. Just another option, that's all.

post-3498-0-14358300-1339944037_thumb.jp

• Like 3

rmaynard

If you read about tire paint (Miller's or Morrow's included), you will find that it is a water-based product used by retread companies to recoat tires after the new treads are applied. I have a friend that worked at the local Goodyear retread plan here in town and he was a "tire painter". I asked him what the paint was made of and he said that it is just an ordinary black latex paint. So with that in mind, I painted my tires on the Commando with ordinary black, satin latex paint that I had on the shelf. As far as appearance, I think they look as good as any tire that I have seen coated with "tire" paint, but the difference is that I only paid $18.00 for a gallon.

After the Wheel Horse show this coming weekend, I will see how they held up.

Martin

Martin the ones you got had weather checking with some cracks, the ones Justin picked up you could see the cords in places, with BIG cracks, I gave them to him they were headed to the tire recycle yesterday.

that was how my original set was that i replaced with the ones i got from you kelly.

i felt that those tires were in excellent condition when i got them from you, with like you said weather checking with some cracks, although i think the damage from use (cuts on the sidewalls) were worse than the weather damage. ive just noticed lately that they have a bunch more cracking in them. i dont think they are 'dried out' from the paint as the rubber still feels good when you push a fingernail into it, just an observation that maybe the tire paint will just buy you some time with weathered tires. mine would probably still look as good as in the after pic above if i didnt use the tractor, but what fun would that be.......

the paint helped my really bad set look better where i tried the paint, but like the ones that justin has, the cords are showing a little through the cracks, and maybe its just buying a little time with making them look good at 20 feet for a while.

justin, im interested in seeing how the tires hold up with use, i also have a few on my workers that i might test out as well.

whc160

I have never used tire paint. But I use Spray Nine to clean my tires on my tractors & autos. It is a good all purpose cleaner. I have even used it to remove grease from the seat of my truck & to degrease my tractors.

http://www.spraynine.com

JackC

I use Ruglide and I like the results. You could probably mix your own since I think it is basically anti freeze and water?

Horse Play

Do you guys think my tires are too far gone for RuGLYDE? I'd like to save them if possible.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

varosd

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the Miller tire paint...but I think it's counterintuitive to the preservation of used tires(drys them out even more).

I think most people are aware of RuGLYDE, you mostly see it being used in tire shops when mounting up new tires...it's what they dress the bead with before mounting the tire on the rim. This stuff is amazing, actually remoisturizes the rubber. Those little dry checks, and cracks actually seem to close back up, and are virtually unnoticeable with regular applications. I too start cleaning old tires with Wesleys Bleach White, then I put the RuGLYDE into a old spray bottle and use full strength. Spray it on the tires liberally, place them in a large plastic garbage bag, and let them sit...the longer the better. Keep turning them over every day or so, so they remain wet in the bag. After about a week, take them out and give them a bath...you'll be amazed at the results. Cost is about the same as the Miller's, but it's a gallon size container, and when used like this, lasts forever. Available off the shelf at your local NAPA dealer. Just another option, that's all.

MSDS on Ruglyde does state it contains: potassium vegatable oil soap and yes, ethylene glycol

so be sure your animals don't get into it!

Zeek

Can you post some pictures of your tires? I'm on the fence about what to buy.

If you read about tire paint (Miller's or Morrow's included), you will find that it is a water-based product used by retread companies to recoat tires after the new treads are applied. I have a friend that worked at the local Goodyear retread plan here in town and he was a "tire painter". I asked him what the paint was made of and he said that it is just an ordinary black latex paint. So with that in mind, I painted my tires on the Commando with ordinary black, satin latex paint that I had on the shelf. As far as appearance, I think they look as good as any tire that I have seen coated with "tire" paint, but the difference is that I only paid $18.00 for a gallon.

After the Wheel Horse show this coming weekend, I will see how they held up.

Can you post some pictures of your tires? I'm on the fence about what to buy.

Now I know this paint has been discussed before but I just thought I would show some before and after pictures of a rough set of tires that Kelly saved from being brought to the dump. I picked them up this Wednesday and finally got to cleaning them today.

I mixed the paint 50/50 as specified and as everyone says a little goes a long way. Just thought I would post a pic of the two tires next to each other, one as I got them and one that was cleaned and painted. I cleaned the tires using an aggressive scrub brush and wesleys bleach white cleaner.

4df32d81.jpg

As you can see it really makes a rough tire look great. It doesn't really do much from cracks put it does cover well and really makes the text and warn parts look much more rips and defined.

I plan to try a few more tires on my normal use machines and really put the stuff to the test

Justin

Nice, thanks for posting. I was getting ready to order some myself.

JUSS10

the other nice thing about the miller tire paint is you can keep the tire right on the wheel. it sounds like for best results with this RuGlide you want to dismount and throw it in a bag for a few days (week?) to soak... Who knows, i may give the stuff a try but i plan to use this paint on larger tires someday, like a real tractor so i figured it was worth picking up and giving it a try

Terry M

craig, it sounds like this stuff is good for double the reasons. have any before and after pics of the tires you used RuGLYDE on?

AMC RULES

I've got a couple sets of old, dilapidated ags here that have seen better days.

Should be good canidates for me to demonstrate the process on...maybe this weekend if some of this disgusting heat and humidity finally decides to give us a break.

Whew! It's hot out there. :angry-fire:

post-3498-0-15498400-1342473780_thumb.jp

AMC RULES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpFKG3wji0&list=UUd_ptV1TUpPlW1VhCjxez_Q&index=1&feature=plcp

Before, then once they're cleaned, then applying my Ruglyde process, leave 'em sit in the bag for about a week, and after. The first and last pict says it all.

post-3498-0-19545300-1343409979_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-92174100-1343410175_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-12152300-1343410242_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-38520400-1343410331_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-80656000-1343410389_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-20461400-1343410539_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-58494600-1343410706_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-31684600-1343410801_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-11586600-1343410856_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-76205000-1343410902_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-14101500-1343410978_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-94473200-1343411061_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-63104300-1343411114_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-49696300-1343411142_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-94843500-1343411248_thumb.jp

JUSS10

maybe its me but they still look kind of dry? to each there own, i think the finish of the tire paint looks more even and appealing to me but i may give this method a try someday... Thanks for the post!

AMC RULES

Maybe it's just me Justin, but what does painting old tires do for them? I did say they still need to be washed to remove the rest of the powdery substance, the point of this process is that once done, they are soft and pliable again.

I'm just sayin'...tire paint doesn't do that. Here is another option, that's all.