Sign in to follow this  
WVMountainMan

Deck Not Cutting Even

WVMountainMan

I had a Wheel Horse once upon time and ever since we parted ways after a divorce, I've have always wanted another. Well, I recently got a nice restored 314-8 (# 73402) with a 42' side discharge mower and...after many attempts to get the deck to cut any where near what would be considered acceptable, I now must ask the experts for help. The right side of the deck leaves a remarkable scalped streak. I have attempted to make sure that the blades are the same across the deck, and with adjustments here and there, the problem remains. Seems to be be really bad when I make turns. Anyone have any suggestion? Thanks.

wh-jason

mine is doing the same thing. :eusa-think: ill sit back and watch.

Cole

mine is doing the same thing. :eusa-think: ill sit back and watch.

mine three someone help us!!! :sad-bored:

mattd860

Me too. But I have the powerflow vac bagger installed so I figured the added weight bolted to the right side was the culprit.

One thing I haven't check was even air pressure in the tires. This might be all of our problem....

WVMountainMan

Well...I hoped that was the problem ( air pressure) but no...still looks like a drunk with a single bit plow has been playing in my yard...

MalMac

Have you turned the deck upside down and check to make sure the blade tip is at the same level as your middle blade. Rotate them around till they are tip to tip. If not then your deck is sprung. This is a very common problem with the 42" side discharge. Sometimes you can get them back but they will just spring again. There is a steel backing plate that Toro uses on one of their zero turns that will work on the 42 but you have to try and get the blades back in level with each other first. That 42 is not supported on the discharge side like it should be. The 48's took care of the problem with the flat steel pan all the way across on the top side of the deck. This might to be your problem but like I said it is a common problem with the 42's.

Did you check to make sure your deck is mounted up in your mid tach o matic ok. Anything worn real bad.

Don1977

Check for cracks around the spindles housings, this has happen to some 42" decks. My 48" deck cracked around the rear where the height addjustment shaft and rear wheels are attached to the deck and also where the lift is attached the back of the deck. I had to weld it and provide a couple of 1/8" plates to the inside. I think the lift attachment aready had them and i added some there the height adjustment rod attaches.

IthacaJeff

Here is another suggestion. . .

Check for level when they deck height lever is pulled up. On my deck the whole lift mechanism

pulls up unevenly.

Jeff

can whlvr

malmac is on the right track in my opinion,i have 5 42 side discharges and they get warped(sprung)over time and i had to replace the top of the entire deck on my original deck that i bought new,i replaced with 5/16 plate and now its the best mowing deck i have,but it was a large job,for some it would be easier to get a good used one,i shimmed one with washers to level all the blades to each other,it screwed up the height adjustment though

WVMountainMan

The more I fool with this deck...the more I think that it is indeed sprung...If one was to come across a used one, is there any real guarantee that it won't have the same problem? Where might a feller find a good replacement deck if I decide that I've had enough of this one?

MalMac

Your chance of finding a good used 42 side discharge will be tough but not impossible. You can go through the process of trying to bring it back in line. Then put the reinforcing plate in. It can be done as in the prior post. I have even done it. Your best bet is to find a 48" deck. That deck is made a whole lot stronger. I still use my 42 for leaf vac work, but use the 48's I have aquired for mowing. If there is one attachment that is a weak link in the Wheel Horse line I would have to put the 42" side discharge deck right at top. I you want to stay with a 42 you could always look for a rear discharge. If you go shopping for a deck you can always use the classified here on RS look in the for sale or post a wanted post. Look at creigslist or even an online auction.

WVMountainMan

MalMac I sincerely appreciate your and everyone's help. I think I will endeavor to go after a rear discharge deck. In the meantime, I have a good friend who is a great welder/fabricator who I will approach to bring thisunit back in tune. Thanks, I will definitely keep you informed as I work through it.

can whlvr

if you have a fabricator freind you could replace the whole top with heavier steel,as i posted ealier i did this and the deck is amazing now,really smooth and zero vibrations,the hardest part was coring the 3 2 1/8 holes,i used a hole saw with plenty of oil,and the square holes i made with a drill then a flat file heres a pic of it after the repair

014.jpg

MalMac

can whlvr that must be the ultimate fix cutting the top out and replacing with a more heavy gauge of steel. It's was probably a cheaper fix than buying a whole new shell. Will last way much longer and like you said give a better cut. When I pulled mine back into shape it was quite a job. I turned the deck upside down, line the blade tips up than put a 3 foot pipe wrench on the blade right next to the spindle handle pointing stright up then used sidways push pull on the handle to flex the deck back into shape by lining up the blade tips. Once I was satisfied I put on the steel plate that Toro uses on one of their zero turns. Worked out well but I don't think it was good as your fix. I do know that if you don't reinforce it, the first bump or twist the deck will go right back to being sprung. At the cost of the decks or at least the shells you have to do what you can to fix what you got.

can whlvr

can whlvr that must be the ultimate fix cutting the top out and replacing with a more heavy gauge of steel. It's was probably a cheaper fix than buying a whole new shell. Will last way much longer and like you said give a better cut. When I pulled mine back into shape it was quite a job. I turned the deck upside down, line the blade tips up than put a 3 foot pipe wrench on the blade right next to the spindle handle pointing stright up then used sidways push pull on the handle to flex the deck back into shape by lining up the blade tips. Once I was satisfied I put on the steel plate that Toro uses on one of their zero turns. Worked out well but I don't think it was good as your fix. I do know that if you don't reinforce it, the first bump or twist the deck will go right back to being sprung. At the cost of the decks or at least the shells you have to do what you can to fix what you got.

ya malmac that was a large chore,it was before redsquare days and before i owned a computer so all i knew was the dealer,at 1000 bucks for a new one i thought noway am i gonna spend that and i didnt have that to spend but the tractor was mint,i didnt even know anyone for spare parts then so i tackled this,my deck was sprung and had cracked many places so bad i finally lost a spindle right through the bottom of the deck when mowing,it wasnt that hard just took time

WVMountainMan

Thanks a lot guys for your insight into this. It's frustrating to think that the guy that sold me this tractor some three weeks ago had to know that this deck was sprung when he sold it to me. I, like a fool, did not practice my life's long teaching of buyer beware and I let a scoundrel have his way with me. I will get er' fixed and chalk it up to yet another lesson learned in life. Now, all I have to do is get enough gumption (or courage) to take the deck over to my ol buddy Dallas and ask him to fix yet another of my strange situations. When he finds the time to git r' done, it will be bullet proof I'm sure.

wh-jason

After reading all of these replys I took my deck off and checked it all out. My blade tips are all in line and everything looks good. However why would my left front tire hit the carriage part of the deck when I turn?

WVMountainMan

OK...Found a 48" side discharge deck shell that I haven't seen yet, and I was wondering what would be things to look for and think about and what parts would or would not be interchangable if I switch from this 42".deck?

MalMac

Look for any cracks, welds,or repairs that have been done. Check to see if the deck has been hit hard and bent. Look for spider cracks where the spindles will mount. Also heavy rust that has made the deck thin in spots. As far as the parts, the spindles should be the same. I don't remember about the pulleys I think they are different. Your mounting brackets will work. The leveling wheels and bracket will be different also. The actual wheels are the same but the bracket that runs clear across the back that the wheels attach too will be longer. It's been a while sence I have compared. The Idler slide and pulley maybe different also.

WVMountainMan

Thanks MalMac..it is a spanking new shell....never had anything mounted on it...I was wondering about all the stuff that completes the transition...thanks again for your help and insight..appears that it won't be a presto-changeo change...all help is appreciated for sure for sure...

MalMac

Your right not a presto-changeo, but a very wise move. You will not be sorry. Make sure the new deck has the reinforcing plate on top.

tgranthamfd

which decks have the springing issues, the 70's, 80's, 90's, or all of them. Guess I have been lucky, I have a half a dozen of them, rangeing from 74 to 2005, and they all cut nice. I do think the rear discharge decks seem more solid.

MalMac

All of the 42 SD's especially the older ones with out the reinforcing bar welded around the outside edge. If you have one that has not been sprung your lucky. There are some out there that have not been. I have one 42 that is not sprung and with the knowledge of what to watch out for it is still in good shape. It's just a pain in the back side to have to be on the look out for situations that will cause that deck to become sprung. It does not take a whole lot to mess one up. They are just in my opinion a very week deck. If you have a lawn that is perfectly smooth nothing to cause twisting and do not bump anything on the discharge side, never get it caught while loading or unloading you will probably be alright.

Now if I remember there was a 42 years ago that had a solid steel bar that ran on the bottom of the deck on the discharge side. It connected the back of the deck with the front. I was welded right in the discharge opening. Don't know if it was for the deflector shield or maybe Vac to attach to. Anyway I remember having one and it did make the deck way more solid on the weak discharge side. The problem was grass would catch on it and the deck would plug up real easy.

WVMountainMan

My original WH, a 84, 312-8 with a 42" side discharge deck, had the crap beat out of it. I had to have a spindle welded back in the deck once but never had heard of this "sprung" issue. In fact, I just bought it back from a guy for fifty bucks who claims it was still a fine mower when the motor let go a couple years ago. After cutting a couple of trees out of her and getting it home I gave her a couple of once overs and the ol girl has led a very rough life for sure. The deck is bent every where, the blade dividers under the deck are long gone but he said it was still good to go. I would however have to see it to believe it. I do have a pretty good start on lots and lots of good parts.

tgranthamfd

I have seen the kit that Toro sells, but it was on the old sight, does anyone have a pic. of it, to refresh my memroy?