Wheel-N-It

Anyone Use Barbell Plates For Wheel Weights?

Wheel-N-It

I recently installed some Simplicity brand wheel weights (from the 1950's) on the rear of my 312-8, and liked them so much I thought I would put some wheel weights on my 417 to try to keep the rear tires from scuffing up my front yard when taking an uphill offcamber turn while mowing. I have a bunch of barbell plates that fit the olympic size bar ends, and discovered the 15kg / 33lb barbell plate will fit the 12inch rear wheel perfectly. Anyway, the next thing I discovered is the things are made out of powdered iron, and I cannot get a drill bit through it.

My question is has anyone here tried to drill through powered iron and been sucessful? If so, how did you do it?

I don't want to spend more on drill bits than I would spend on a set of wheel weights, so should I abort this idea and try something else?

Also I don't want to rig up something to make the weights work. I want to bolt them on the way they should be and use proper size carrage bolts to hold them to the wheel. So from experience, what do you guys think?

Thank you for your input:)

Van

AMC RULES

Good idea Van.

:wwp:

CRE1992

I have 2 sets of simplicity/allis weights that I am looking to sell!! pm me !

Wheel-N-It

Good idea Van.

:wwp:

Thanks Craig. I thought it was a good idea too, until I smoked two perfectly good drill bits :tools-hammerdrill: .............. but hey it did give me something to write about tonight :techie-computer:

CRE, PM on the way!

Wheel-N-It

Thank You for the research Rich. I found this too, and it left me thinking I may be better off just buying some weights and bolting them on. I think I had rather do that and have the fab time for other stuff.

One thing I found here at RS is someone used 5inch pipe flanges for weights. Without going back to re-read the post, I think the 5inch flanges weigh about 25puunds each, and is predrilled to match the wheel. I may run across some, and will grab a couple to see for myself.

I am going back to edit my first post here.

I should have said " POWDERED IRON not POWERED IRON" . sorry for the misspell.

Van

IBleedRed

Check these out, I found them while looking up weights for my puller.

Search for "GARDEN TRACTOR WHEEL WEIGHTS SYSTEM - UNIVERSAL MOUNTS" on ebay.

can whlvr

could the bolts be welded to the weight and then bolt it on with the nuts on the inside?

massey

I used cast iron barbell weights for the rear wheels of the C160 and had no trouble drilling through them. If the iron in your weights is that hard, try a USA made cobalt bit.

Wheel-N-It

I'll try to find one of those cobalt bits, and if I can, I'll try to do the drilling in a press. Not giving up on finding a good set of weights though:)

JUSS10

Those universal mount setups on ebay are exactly what i had in mind when i read this title. i may have to build myself a set of those!

Coadster32

Drill press is the way to go, as is cobalt, (M42). The rpm on the hand drills is just way too fast,(burning up drill bits). A little liquid to keep things cool would help out as well. Good luck, it's a great solution.

bewford

I also drilled out some barbell weight plates, with no trouble. slow and steady wins the races

Wheel-N-It

I may have some masonary bits that size. If I do, I will try drilling using a drill press with lots of cutting oil.

My problem though is time. I have so much grass here to cut (and run the weedeater), that mowing takes up most of my spare time and energy. What I really need to do is figure out a way to clone myself :happy-jumpeveryone: Then I could get some work done around here!

312Hydro

What I really need to do is figure out a way to clone myself :happy-jumpeveryone: Then I could get some work done around here!

Funny, That's what my wife tells me! :ychain:

maxed500

quick, but very ugly, Turn arc welder on highest setting and melt hole. Will look very nasty unless you grind splatter smooth and washer over hole.

over60pirate

I did that on my 414-8

I used a 1/2" x 2" x (length that fit inside wheel) bar of steel, and welded a 1" barbell bar to it. The steel bar is bolted to 2 holes in the wheels. It's a lot easier removing weights with this setup, than oem ones.

Just slide the weights on. The picture shows a 50# plate. Behind it are, smaller plates that fit inside the wheel. Total weight on each wheel is 85#'s

I am also making a bar mount for the front of the tractor to hold weights, when needed.

I have to mow the sides of ditches in front of my property, and the 170#'s of weight helps keeping the shiny side up!

post-6550-0-34230400-1340909669.jpg

• Like 1

over60pirate

I should have added, that before I found te 50# plates, and was able to cut the bar length down, it was a real chin grabber. Especially when the weights were off.

I leave the weights on all the time, for ditch cutting, and for use with the plow/bucket.