Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Best Sounding FACTORY Engine/Exhaust Combo

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I picked up a 416-8 (Onan power) for Redsquare member Longarm..... Mike (Sparky) actually brought it home on his trailer and we where looking it over. Well Im sitting there revving it up and down and Mike says---man those sound so great..... I look at him and say---R U KIDDIN..... Gimme a k341 or Mag 16 any day to listen too. Espescially when under heavy load---The 341's sound like a steam locomotive with there shoulder down just bashing through the work.

Well he calls me crazy and so on---I told him Im going to post and let the experts decide---now please no comments on which engine is better or more reliable or so on.... We are talking strictly factory installed exhaust and such.

I you want to bring up any other factory engine---Briggs, Tecumseh, Kawasaki whatever..... thats fine too.

If neccesary we can have an all out fist fight/brawl at the show!!!! lol

Tony

zieg72

I had them both, tough call... I do like the Onan sound better, My $.02

bowtiebutler956

K-341!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For Sure! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

coldone

K532 on the D200 sounds better than the BF/MS onan on the D160. The K532 at Idle sounds like it has a performance cam in it.

Wheel Horse Kid

I have not had an Onan motor yet, but I have heard that they sound pretty good. However, I recently purchased a rebuilt K341, but have not run it yet to hear it. So I guess that I have no opinion right now!

clintonnut

I like the sound of my 520H

MarkPalmer

Kind of an apples to oranges comparison between a single and a twin, the Onan twins do sound good but I've always loved the sound of the Kohler cast iron "thumpers" 14 and 16 HP more than any twin I've listened to. Most twins all sound the same to me. Not too long ago I had two identical tractors (non-WH) running side by side, one with a KT17 Kohler and the other a Honda GX610, and it was difficult to tell the two engines apart by sound even though the Kohler is opposed and the Honda a vee.

-Mark-

546cowboy

Well with the factory exhaust I would have to say there is nothing that sounds better than a 20 horse Onan. My fun toy Cowboy's High Horse does not have a muffler and with those pipes coming out the front, it sounds really great.

post-1334-0-62711700-1339078848_thumb.jp

KATO

Big single Kohler for sure!!!!!!!!

KEN

• Like 1

leeave96

I've got a Kohler Magnum 14 hp in a Wheelhorse 314-8 and two 520-H tractors with the Onan. To me, the Onan just sounds better.

IMHO, the great sound of the Onan probably up-sold more Wheelhorse tractors than anything.

Bill

MarkPalmer

Early problems with the KT twins that Kohler had no fix for right away sure helped Onan sell a LOT of small engines they probably wouldn't have otherwise :tools-wrench:

-Mark-

AMC RULES

Don't bite my ear off over this, but definitely...Onan's rule the airwaves.

decksetter

Onan. I actually like the sound of a 416 better than a 520.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Would rather listen to my KT17 series II then most anything else although that Wisconsin V4 of mine sure does sound good but it sure ain't stock

Sparky

So Tony already blabbed my opinion but the ONAN 16 in my 416-H has the best sound! I have a Kohler single 16 in a C-165 to compare with so I'm not just guessing here.

Mike..........

• Like 1

Hodge71

Well I might as well stir it up a bit..lol...I have a 416 with an Onan, an 18 auto with the K482 and I must say the 482 sounds great but, gimme a Kohler Thumper under load any day. My opinon may change once my 18 auto is running strong and mowing lawns with a big 60 inch deck, but for now......

• Like 1

ben06351

Well I like my Onan and my Kohler, Hell i'm just happy when either of them make any sound at all. But I'd have to give the edge to an old Kohler just love the sound of them Thumpers.

• Like 1

JackC

For strong engine sound: 20hp onan in a 520H followed by 16hp onan in a 416H, followed by KT17 series 2 in a C-175.

For quit sound the 8hp in a C-81.

stevebo

LOVE MY ONAN 520HC PULLING UP A HILL RUNNING A 60 INCH DECK AND HEARING THAT GOVERNOR KICK IN !!

smoreau

I have both and IMHO a onen is like a new car that runs smooth and powerful. good throughty sound and just sounds like a newer sports car.

BUT a k341 has a sound all it's own!! You just no that when its idling is like a muscle car that just screams power! and then you throttle it up and put it under load... I could listen to that sweet music all day!!

So I am more in favor for the k341, but the onen's are great also!

Ken B

Onan no doubt sounds better, the Kohler on my 416-8 sounds like a wimp in comparison.

bean

I belonged to a motorcycle forum for several years, and we debated which pipes sounded better. drag pipes, slash cuts, vance & hines, cobras, on and on. we finally got together and made a sound file that had every combination. of course you lose something with the 1" speakers on the computer, but it still gave you a decent idea of the sound. maybe that is an idea for all the different engine/exhaust combinations.

I actually like the sound of my old '73 8hp better than the 310-8. the 8hp sounds like a tractor, where-as the 310 sounds more "industrial".

my$.02, the onan 20hp is magic.

1maidenfan

K532 on the D200 sounds better than the BF/MS onan on the D160. The K532 at Idle sounds like it has a performance cam in it.

I would have to agree!!!

nylyon

It certainly "sounds" like the Onan has the preferred sound, and that's the way I am going too. A few years back, I was having my pool installed. I basically had the pool (in boxes) on my utility trailer hooked up to the 416. I had to move the trailer closer to the work area when it was cleared and fired up the 416. One of the guys asked me about the tractor and said he's never heard a better sounding garden tractor. For me, the kohler sounds like a lawn mower compared to the tractor sound from the Onan.

Additionally, after mowing for hours my ears hurt far less (I do wear ear protection) at the end of the day!

wheelhorse656

I Like the sound of the briggs in a b10 allis chalmers with that dual spring governer when its under a load and it boggs down and the governer pulls it back to the right rpms it sounds great!!! I choose a 12 14 or 16 hp Kohler over an onan! My .02 cents