Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Best Sounding FACTORY Engine/Exhaust Combo

William Chatham

k341, you just dont get a motor much better than them ive had mine scince 86 never been rebuilt still fires right up as soon as u tap the ey and its still strong! on a mf14 though

can whlvr

k341 all the way

zeedubbya

Onan takes my vote in this race. Love the kohlers, but Onan just sounds more powerful. I did start up the old 6 hp k141 the other day and I love that old small engine old tractor sound too. It reminds me somehow of going to steam shows with my grandfather when I was a kid. And in another opinion still--I love the sound of a diesel working in a GT. It sounds like it's just yawning at the work? I guess you could say I like them all when they're running good!!

dennist

I agree as stated above both sound good(Onan 16 and K341), but I really think the smoothest sounding/running for me was the D250 with the 4 cylinder Renault engine. That really was an amazing engine for a garden tractor IMO.

Wheel-N-It

Having been a Harley guy for years and years, I am partial to the sound of a v-twin engine. More than likely when I get around to the 520-h repower project it will be with a v-twin and dual pipes with short mufflers to get that Harley type sound.

Other than that I really enjoy hearing the sound of the KT-17 series 2 on my 417-A when it is mowing tall grass.

I have a K-341 at the engine rebuilders getting a complete overhaul including the carburator. I am looking forward to hearing it run while pulling the racetrack surface reconditioner on the track behind my house. It will still have the factory International Harvester CC muffler on it. The sound of a fresh K-341 is hard to beat.

The Magnum 12 on my 312-8 does not have a "music to my ears" kinda sound, but it does remind me of how proud I was purchasing my very first Wheel Horse 21 years ago. That 312 is probably one of the best machinery purchases I have ever made, and made it so I will always be partial to Wheel Horse LAGT's over anything other brand.

Shuboxlover

NOTHING sounds better than when your 20HP Onan is at 100% power chewing through a 2' snow drift!!!!!

GAME OVER!!!!

• Like 1

nick9091

I have a 416-H and a 312-H. The Onan sounds the best idling and for sure under load. The Kohler is a great engine but you can't beat the Onan for Torque, and torque is what gets the work done.

• Like 1

varosd

The BEST sounding engine is the one thats Running!!!!! :D

anyway, IMHO: 20hp Onan

jimt1971

After hearing Fireman's Senior I have to go with that Wisc.

Docwheelhorse

NOTHING sounds better than when your 20HP Onan is at 100% power chewing through a 2' snow drift!!!!!

GAME OVER!!!!

Game Over???? Oh you mean when the Onan 20 spits its rear exhaust seat out on the driveway in the snow so its hard to find? :ychain:

Sorry.... had to throw a chain yanker in there LOL :)

Tony

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

GAME OVER!!!!

Game Over???? Oh you mean when the Onan 20 spits its rear exhaust seat out on the driveway in the snow so its hard to find? :ychain:

Sorry.... had to throw a chain yanker in there LOL :)

Tony

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Hydro

I'm not an Onan enthusiast any longer but I don't think you can beat the sound of an 16 Onan after a cold start, just above the idle position with the choke off. Music to anybody's ears. That's one tuff sounding engine.

Stand back from an Onan about 100-200 feet listen to the engine operate at full throttle and then go under a load. Nothing sweeter than that sound either. I always thought like others have said, the 16 sounded better than the 20. The governor sure reacts differently.

Finally I love to idle my Kohlers down to just above a stall...I know they don't lubricate well at that rpm so I don't leave them there but they really sound neat.

Have to give it to the Onan... for sound that is.

bean

I'll throw in my humble 8hp turning a 42" deck. it's not a big block or 20hp, but lets keep that a secret, because it thinks that it is :chores-mowlawn:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Barely sounds like it's workin' Bean.

I like the sound of little Kohlers too. :thumbs:

Docwheelhorse

• BARE FEET :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !

Sparky

X2!

Not to mention no running boards. Made me cringe!

Mike.............

bean

yeah, I know. I almost took off the video when I noticed his shoes were missing. we were just testing the muledrive and belt for a few feet.

both of my grandkids run around barefoot most of the summer. I do make him put on shoes to mow and run the weed eater( and safety glasses for the latter)

bean

X2!

Not to mention no running boards.

Mike.............

it has the old school foot rests from an 854.

dcrage

Is there a difference in the sound of the Kohler twin cylinder (M18QS-24510; whatever all those #s and letters mean; 18 horse Magnum is all I know) on my 418-A and the twin cylinder Onans you guys are championing -- I do know there is a definate difference in the sounds of my 10 horse Kohler on my 310-8 and the 18 horse twin Kohler on my 418-A

Kelly

Well I havn't posted on this but I guess I will throw my 2 cents in the hat, I love my onans, for the deep smooth tone, but at idle and full throttle my C-195 KT19 sound like a Harley, the idle is just sweet has a little thump to it and is deep, but my sons little 8hp with the stock nelson muffler sounds very cool it has a very deep tone for a 8hp.

Ken B

Ok, here is a video of Big Red just taken today. And his exhaust seat didn't pop out either.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Awesome...just like a :wh: church choir.

bean

that sounds awesome! probably has something to do with the shoes. :)

leeave96

Great sound! I think my Onan's in my two 520H tractors signal to my neighbors I am gainfully employed - as they tool around with their MTDs.... :laughing-rofl:

Bill

Ken B

Back in the day, Stevebo was a black hood kinda guy. He restored this C-175 and he did a helluva job on it. For whatever reason he sold it to me and for whatever reason I sold it to Butch. I bet we both wish we still had it! I think it was every bit as strong as the Onan 20 and the sound of it was just as pleasing. Sitting on that C-175 you felt like you were sitting on top of the world. For your viewing pleasure: