bluelinehiway

Speedex / Wheel Horse Hybrid

bluelinehiway

All:

I came across a fairly respectable Speedex 1632. It seems like a good price and I really like the beefier setup(larger rear tires; gear drive; hub front axle; bigger overall). I'm not too crazy about the "sliding motor" setup for the drive belts however. But after a couple beers and staring at my 1067, I'm starting to think that I could "Frankenstein" the two tractors together and incorporate the best features of each into a better tractor.

Sorta like if the two Pond Brothers stayed together and created a Speedy Horse (so to speak).

Anyone perform this hybrid mix or have any points I should consider? Or should I give up drinking altogether?

Any opinions welcome.

Tom

AMC RULES

:WRS:

Make it happen Tom.

:wwp:

bluelinehiway

Well, I'm going to drive out and take a look at the unit tomorrow. And during this time, I'm trying to determine a good price on a donor Wheel Horse. My initial target would be a larger motor (14hp Kohler versus the Briggs and up) and hopefully one with a 60" deck. From what I hear, a big issue is the unavailability of blades for the Speedex (geared blades). I should be able to fab up a mount for the donor WH deck and release me from the shortage of replacement pieces of the Speedex.

Both drives are belt driven off a two pulley system. On the Speedex, the smaller pulley to run the hydraulic pump is on the inside versus the smaller WH PTO setup on the outside of the engine shaft. I believe I can align the WH drive pulleys for the T-92 tranny and create a hydraulic pulley that would engage the pump and when the hydraulics are not needed (mowing season), I can run the WH deck off the original WH PTO. The sliding engine issue would be solved by using the idler pulley system from the donor WH. I don't know if I have this totally worked out yet, but maybe after I see the Speedex system in person, a couple beers may help solve my problem. And even though the Speedex is marginally wider that the 1067 / 300 series WH, I believe I can make / swap out WH implements by hanging the WH mounting points on the Speedex. This solution may involve a LOT of beer and possibly a stint at the AA.

Fun to dream on what can be. Better to make it happen. Hopefully, I can perform this operation for under $1500 and be left with a larger tractor to plow snow on my 1500' driveway, higher lift for the mower deck to manage my pastures, and provide for inexpensive repair parts for the end result.

I'll let you know what issues arise after I see the Speedex.

Tom

bluelinehiway

Craig:

Thanks for the welcome. I've been trolling around for a while now, and I figure it's time to get more involved. This is a great site and has saved me a lot of headaches with my two Horses.

I'll try to get some pics up after I see the Speedex.

312Hydro

Good luck with your build and remember :wwp: :WRS:

wheelhorse 1045

you tease us without PICTURES

Wheel Horse Kid

Sounds like a good idea! Make sure to keep us updated on how it goes! Oh ya :WRS: :WRS:

bluelinehiway

All:

Well, yesterday I drove out to pick up the Speedex tractor Model 1632. Got the unit for $400 and on the way home, I found a small trailer that I bought for $50. Had to move the tractor forward on the car hauler to squeeze the small trailer on, but since I only had to drive about 4 miles with both purchases, I didn't strap down either one or readjust the tractor over the axles. Got a ton of stares as I rode throught town.

I attached some pics of the Speedex next to my 1067. Holy cow, I didn't realize the size difference. The Speedex has a 16 hp B&S cast iron motor, a drive system consisting of v-belts; a T-92 tranny; chain to sprocket and final gear drive. All of this uses a "clutch" where the entire engine moves on the frame to provide tension on the initial drive belts. Got some work to do to sort out the carb, hydraulics and electrical, but since I normally do this on new units anyway, it gives me a chance to find everything that need going over.

My apologies for taking this WH forum a little off track, but I like the idea I have an example of each of the two Pond Brothers' inventions. I entered a link that gives some history on how the two brothers took a different track on tractors. And since the Speedex was made in my wife's home town of Ravenna Ohio (her neighbor worked at Speedex coming out of high school), I used this connection to help her agree that my decision to park this tractor in the garage versus her car, was the right one.:) I also reminded her how much money we'll save on paint seeing that they are nearly the same color.

Here is the link: http://www.speedextractorinformation.com/index.html

Tom

post-1833-0-13841100-1339331153_thumb.jp

post-1833-0-92473700-1339331168_thumb.jp

post-1833-0-80370700-1339331181_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wheel Horse Kid

Great looking Speedex! It is original or has it been restored at one time?

bluelinehiway

Kid:

To the best of my knowledge, there has been one repaint. Once I started pulling the beast apart, I saw that the PO did indeed jerry-rig some items, but overall, it doesn't look all that bad. Even if it was "perfect", I'd probably pull it apart anyway just to see how it works.

I did begin my "improvements" to the Speedex. The Speedex clutch is a moveable engine that sits on the frame on a carriage. As you push in the clutch, a small rod pushes the motor forward tightening engaging the belt. I thought that by pushing in the clutch actually engaged the drive belt versus disengaging it was kinda weird. My Dad's old Speedex used a 7 hp motor, and it was no big thing to push the motor forward to engage.

Try that with a 16 hp cast iron motor. Not good and not smooth. And because the engine isn't fixed / bolted to the frame, the motor rattles and shakes like crazy. So a couple beers staring at the unit side by side with my 1067 and 310-8, I had a brainstorm.

I decided to fix mount the motor on new frame mounts. Instead of a movable engine to act as a clutch, I decided to replicate the belt drive on the Wheel Horse. Have an idler pulley act as a tensioner on the belt (using the same existing pedal assembly, and when you pushed in the clutch, the belt would sag (idler tension off) and as you let off the clutch, a spring would return the idler pulley under tension. I have included a mock-up of my plan versus my WH inspiration,and a near finished pully bracket below. I have the parts painted and drying now to install tomorrow or Wednesday. After that, I have new ignition parts to install and see if this thing fires up.

Tom

post-1833-0-58645600-1340036062.jpg

post-1833-0-42052600-1340036087.jpg

post-1833-0-27360300-1340036107.jpg

Rooster

WOw, thats the first I heard of the Ponds relationship with the SHaw's!

Galesburg is only a few miles from me.

546cowboy

That was a very interesting article on the Speedex. I don't recall ever seeing one and they look a lot like the early Simplicity's don't they. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

SousaKerry

In 1960 Speedex adapted a front mounted mowing deck which was attached to the front axle. This was the first four wheel riding mower in America.

What I think Elmer and Cecil beat them by about 7 or 8 years at least????????

bowtiebutler956

Very cool Speedex! :text-datsphatyo: I look forward to seeing you fix her up! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Rooster

Loving the clutch "spring"!! LOL

IS that using the pulley as a brake?