Sign in to follow this  
kloe0699

Deck spindles not taking grease

kloe0699

Ed, at the moment that deck is off until I get around to fixing it. I am thinking it's going to get new bearings when I get to it as it's my only 48" deck and also my favorite! I will keep you posted.

tunahead72

Good deal!

I just took my "problem" deck off the tractor earlier this evening, and I'm hoping to check out the spindles tomorrow, I'll let you know if I get any great insights worth sharing.

dsholler

Anyone had the experience of not seeing the grease come out? I just seemed to keep pumping it into my 48 inch deck,and it never appears down the bottom. After 80 pumps on the gun with nothing, I figured there had to be enough in there.. the spindles turn easily and do not make any noise, but I keep wondering if I am going to wind up with a puddle of grease in the middle of my lawn someday, as the dam breaks and the warm grease gets pushed out.. either that, or i will find it all under the belt cover or something..

JamesBe1

Are you sure your grease gun was putting out? Often I get air bubbles that make it seem like it's pumping, but nothing comes out.

Usually, with no air bubbles, after ten pumps (at the most), I see grease coming out.

kloe0699

Are you sure your grease gun was putting out? Often I get air bubbles that make it seem like it's pumping, but nothing comes out.

Usually, with no air bubbles, after ten pumps (at the most), I see grease coming out.

My gun is working. I pulled the grease fittings off and hooked them to the gun just to make sure they were taking grease. All 3 were. I greased all my tractors that day with the same gun.

can whlvr

ive not seen grease after many pumps either,should we be seeing it exit out the bottom?

JamesBe1

I've never failed to see grease coming from the exit holes. I always fill until I see something coming out. I am told that it is important to push some of the old dirty grease out and replace it with clean grease. Dunno if that is the right thing to do, but I do it and it shows me that there is grease in the passages at least.

dsholler

I am pretty sure.. I used the gun to grease the wheels at the back of the deck and it worked fine (pushed the old grease out). I then did about 20 more pumps on each spindle and it did not come out.. I guess at this point I will have to take the deck off and clean those up really well and have a look. I have never taken a spindle apart.. if the outlet holes were blocked at the spindle cup, is there some other place the grease would ooze out?

JamesBe1

I am pretty sure.. I used the gun to grease the wheels at the back of the deck and it worked fine (pushed the old grease out). I then did about 20 more pumps on each spindle and it did not come out.. I guess at this point I will have to take the deck off and clean those up really well and have a look. I have never taken a spindle apart.. if the outlet holes were blocked at the spindle cup, is there some other place the grease would ooze out?

Not sure where the grease would come out other than the holes in the cup. Let us know what you find out when you take it apart. I'd like to know where the grease has been going.

can whlvr

i too would like to see this,ive had many spindles apart and never noticed the exit holes

tunahead72

if the outlet holes were blocked at the spindle cup, is there some other place the grease would ooze out?

One possibility, but I'm not sure what it means exactly...

I just finished the "metric spindle grease lock" procedure mentioned earlier in this thread, and it helped a lot on two out of my three spindles. On the last one, I'm still not getting old grease out of the exit holes, but with the spindle nut loose, I did get some grease forced between the spindle and the pulley -- see if the area under your pulley is wet with grease.

All my spindles sound and feel much better than they did before, but they're original to this machine, and I'll probably take them all apart this winter and check them more closely for bad bearings, etc. One spindle in particular has that "ballsy rumble" sound that tells me I probably have at least one bad bearing.

tunahead72

i too would like to see this,ive had many spindles apart and never noticed the exit holes

Don,

On mine, there's two exit holes for each spindle, located 180 degrees from each other on the sides of the spindle cup. Mine are almost always clogged with a mix of old grease, dirt and grass clippings, they're easy to miss if you're not looking for them.

can whlvr

Don,

On mine, there's two exit holes for each spindle, located 180 degrees from each other on the sides of the spindle cup. Mine are almost always clogged with a mix of old grease, dirt and grass clippings, they're easy to miss if you're not looking for them.

thanks

trainman

Ok I have a question, what if the grease fittings on the spindles popped out and new ones wont screw in? I got this problem do I put a bigger size thread grease fitting or use some jb weld on the grease holes with a tooth pick so the spindles will accept the regular size grease fittings?

JamesBe1

Ok I have a question, what if the grease fittings on the spindles popped out and new ones wont screw in? I got this problem do I put a bigger size thread grease fitting or use some jb weld on the grease holes with a tooth pick so the spindles will accept the regular size grease fittings?

So the spindle threads are stripped and the grease fittings won't stay in?

IMHO, the correct approach is drill and tap the spindles to accept a larger size grease fitting (or replace the spindles), but that's a lot of work. JB weld is the quick fix, but you will have a difficult time if ever you need to change the grease fittings in the future.

Alternatively, if the grease fittings fit well enough that you can fill the spindles with grease, you can then take them off and put a machine screw in the hole to keep it sealed from the environment.

tunahead72

... JB weld is the quick fix, but you will have a difficult time if ever you need to change the grease fittings in the future ...

... Or if you ever need to remove one to help remove a spindle shaft. One approach to removing a spindle from its housing involves removing the grease fitting, top nut and lockwasher, pulley and key (if it has one), and then gently tapping the top of the shaft with a plastic hammer or something equivalent.