Sign in to follow this  
kloe0699

Deck spindles not taking grease

kloe0699

I have 2 spindles on my 48 inch deck that won't take grease. I pulled the grease fittings off and hooked them to the grease gun and they take grease.. Why won't the spindles?

tunahead72

Thanks for posting this question -- I have a similar problem with one of my 42" decks, and I was thinking about posting myself, just hadn't gotten to it yet.

I know in the past I've sometimes had good results cleaning out the old grease from whatever wouldn't accept new grease, maybe spraying with a little WD-40 or PB Blaster to loosen things up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

A guy who sometimes works on my old farm tractor uses a battery-powered grease gun for tough fittings, he says it works well. I know there's also less expensive high-pressure manual guns available. I haven't tried either one of these ideas yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others here suggest. :popcorn:

JamesBe1

The grease wont go in unless there is a place for it to exit. Probably the old grease is clogging the exit passages. You are going to have to find them and clean them out. Not sure where yours would be located, but they are often on the very bottom of the spindles in a part referred to as the spindle cup. There should be one or two holes in them to let the old grease out.

kloe0699

Thanks guys! At least one is taking grease so I should be able to find the passages. My cousin has a battery operated gun that puts out some crazy force, I think it's a 24 volt. That might push it through. I just replaced the belts and blades and it sounds like it needs some grease.

It's a new to me deck.

bo dawg

might work, but if not you'll have to pull it apart and clean it out to free the passages.

squonk

Thanks guys! At least one is taking grease so I should be able to find the passages. My cousin has a battery operated gun that puts out some crazy force, I think it's a 24 volt. That might push it through. I just replaced the belts and blades and it sounds like it needs some grease.

It's a new to me deck.

If it sounds like it needs grease and you can't pump any through, I'm willing to bet the old grease is shot and hardened up. The bearings are probably shot too. Tear it down and replace the bearings.

gwest_ca

If these are metric spindles there is a service bulletin on this condition. The sleeve between the bearings is not centered on the spindle preventing the grease from entering.

Bulletin is posted here in the Files

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals8/

and named

WH61-90 #391 Metric Spindle Grease Lock 36in 42in 48in

Includes the procedure to correct.

Garry

• Like 1

tunahead72

Garry,

THAT'S interesting...

I've never had one of these spindles apart, is there an easy way to tell whether a particular spindle is metric or not?

I have a couple of parts manuals for my decks. The earlier one, dated 12/79, shows two different bearings for each spindle, the upper one non-sealed and the lower one sealed, presumably non-metric? The later manual is dated 4/85, and shows the same metric bearing both top and bottom.

But I also know these manuals are ultimately just pieces of paper, and don't necessarily match what's actually on our decks.

Is there any chance we could convince you to upload that service bulletin to RedSquare? I know I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

--------

And kloe0699, I don't mean to take over your thread. This is just starting to sound like a common problem, and I'm hoping to get some information shared here. Sorry!

kloe0699

No problems here Ed. I have never had a spindle apart either. The more info the better! I was hoping a little grease would help things out but the bearings do sound pretty rough. I am not looking forward to tearing this apart. I've watched guys on here that know their stuff (unlike myself) struggle with these things! :hide:

SousaKerry

you can take out the grease fittings and hook up an air line and try to push it with your air compressor, just be careful you are no where near the outlet or you may get impacted by a slug of high speed grease. Most fittings are either 1/16, or 1/8 NPT pipe. some are even 10-32 UNF, a good industrial supply place(Fastenal, Granger, or Applied, Motion) will have the fittings in stock, or if your lucky like me on the shelf at work.

Don1977

The metric spindles will be 17 mil. at the bearings, 5/8" diameter at the pulley and 3/4" at the blade, they used 6203 metric bearings. If the spindle is 3/4" at the pulley the pulley will be keyed and the bearing will be 6203-RR12 or something similar with a 3/4" I.D. The alum. spindle housing on the metric spindle and the 3/4" spindle are the same, but all the other parts are different.. Then there are the Double D's they will have a notched cup washer and bolt holding the pulley in place these spindles have a ball bearing at the top and a needle bearing at the bottom they are 3/4" I.D. don't know the bearing size.

I believe my metric spindle sleeve spacers have 5/32" diameter holes drilled at the top and bottom. I can't remember if they are drilled on both sides.

chevrat68

Try some heat on them. Worm up your spindle with a torch but don't get them too hot. The grease should start oozing out. Works great on king pins and other areas that don't have nylon bushings or sealed bearings

squonk

He says the bearings sound rough. Take it apart and fix it right.

can whlvr

i would listen to squonk,if the bearing wears enough it will destroy the housing,ive got one that this happened too :banghead:

kloe0699

i would listen to squonk,if the bearing wears enough it will destroy the housing,ive got one that this happened too :banghead:

Agreed. Thanks to all for the input.. Stay tuned for more how do I fix THIS posts as I go! :ychain:

BOWTIE

HELLO, WHY DO THEY CALL THEM METRIC SPINDLES WHEN THE 203 BEARING IS USED. THEY HAVE BEEN USED IN AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE GENERATORS AND ALTERNATOR SINCE THE 50's. THE SPINDLES ARE VERY EASY TO WORK ON ONCE YOU GET THE PULLEYS OFF. THE ONES I WORKED ON HAD THE HOLES IN THE SLEEVES EVENLY SPACED THE SAME ON BOTH ENDS. JUST MY 2 CENTS.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

gwest_ca

I added the PSB to the Files but have no idea where it went. It should be with the service bulletins if you can find them.

Garry

SNYFIX

As mentioned above. The spacer holding the bearings apart inside the spindle assy is blocking the hole. Follow the SB directions for a easy fix --

tunahead72

I added the PSB to the Files but have no idea where it went. It should be with the service bulletins if you can find them.

I just checked and it's still not there that I can see. All files need to be approved by one of the moderators before the rest of us can download them. From my experience that's usually a quick process, anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. I'm sure we'll see it soon... :popcorn:

tunahead72

Thanks to Garry and Martin for making the service bulletin available! :thanks: Sounds like a simple enough solution to the problem, at least for the metric spindles.

We should probably all remember that any of these spindles could have been rebuilt or replaced over the years. There's no telling what's inside until you start tearing into them, unless you know they're original, but maybe not even then.

tunahead72

Just want to let everybody know that I uploaded the "grease lock" service bulletin to the Files section of RedSquare, it's under "Service Bulletins" in the "Wheel Horse Manuals" category.

Thanks again to Garry and Martin for letting us know this bulletin even existed, and for providing a copy for everybody here to see. :thanks:

kloe0699

Thanks to all for the help and info. :thumbs: I managed to get another one to take grease. I hit it with heat again and then with the air compresssor. I'm not sure which one did the trick but it took a lot of grease. I will try the grease lock on the 3rd one. It sounds much better now that I got grease to the center spindle. I am gonna tear it down and put new bearings in it as soon as the grass slows down some. Thanks again, Kevin

tunahead72

So ... what happened with the 3rd spindle? :popcorn: