Sign in to follow this  
JamesBe1

PTO Quick Connect

JamesBe1

I am finally putting together my 50" tiller for my D-180. Thanx to Jeff (Hodge71) for helping me out with welding the last two parts together for me. And thanx to Steve (Prater) for send me a pic of what the tiller drive shaft end should look like.

I have rounded up all the parts, and received all new hardware (well, mostly). The last of the paint is trying, and I a few minor bits on order (spline stub).

I went to check my quick connect on my rear pto, and it is pretty rusted. After a half hour of PB-Blaster and beating on it with a hammer, it finally have it all the way out from it's former stuck all the way in position (towards front of tractor). Also, I can get it to spin in the all the way out position. I have to tap it with a hammer to get it to go back in, but then it is stuck, and have to use a hammer to tap it back out.

Anybody have any tips for freeing up a PTO quick connect that probably hasn't been used ever?

Are they difficult to take apart and clean and repair?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx,

James

1maidenfan

Mine had a snap ring on the back side of the collar, I removed that and slide the collar back to remove the ball bearings and cleaned everything really good. When apart I took a small, really small file and cleaned all the internal splines. When cleaning was done I lubed everything really good and kept working it back and forth. Works really good now.

I had a rusted piece of shaft stuck in mine.

Good luck and have fun. :wwp:

post-4490-0-07682400-1338695364_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-92928300-1338695479_thumb.jp

This was stuck in mine.

post-4490-0-23982300-1338695603_thumb.jp

After alot of work and a few :confusion-confused::soapbox::angry-screaming::angry-banghead: she is ready for work.

JamesBe1

Fantastic. Thankyou for the pics. They make all difference in the world. I will be doing that today, and of course I will take lots of pics.

j

JamesBe1

I took some terrible pics, but I figured I would share them to show the progress.

Here is what I am working on:

I found and removed the snap ring on the back side of the collar and pushed the collar back and removed the bearings.

Then I tried to move it forward, and it wouldn't budge. It spun nicely, but wouldn't move forward. I found the snap ring in the front and removed that just to get it out of the way for later.

I finally had to resort to a puller with a socket to match the quick connect. It still wouldn't budge. WTF?

I took the puller off and scratched my head for a while and decided to put it back on and give it an all or nothing effort. I figured that I would just fix anything that happened to break. This time, I got smart and skipped the socket and put the puller in the center of the quick connect.

I started tightening, and shortly, it gave way and started turning easier. Funny thing was, I couldn't see any movement on the collar. Something was moving but not the collar. Turns out that the whole quick connect assembly was pulling off the spline shaft on the end of the PTO rod. Oh well, at least it was progress. I figured that I would just have to replace a roll pin and be good to go. I kept tightening until it came off:

I tried moving the collar forward or back, and it wouldn't move. It spun nicely, but wouldn't' come off. Hmmmm. I took it to the barn and beat on it with a hammer on the anvil. It finally came off. Turns out that there is in inside snap ring in the collar, and when you remove the rear snap ring (from step 1), and move the collar back too far, the internal snap ring gets caught in that groove. Beating it with a hammer is the only way to get it apart (at least for me).

I have everything soaking in degreaser for a few hours before I throw some rust reformer on the parts and reassemble it.

Oh yeah, I checked, and there doesn't appear to have been a roll pin holding the assembly on the spline shaft. It was just pressed on.

JamesBe1

Success!

After I soaked everything in the purple degreaser stuff for a few hours, I cleaned everything with hot soapy water. Thankfully my wife is great about my doing stuff like that in the kitchen sink. She is inured to that by now by my having strange parts all over the house.

Anyhow, I painted everything down with rustoleum rust reformer and let them sit overnight to dry.

This morning, I put everything back together. Problem was, the rust reformer made everything sorta sticky and things did not want to move even with lubrication. I re-read your post and the words 'small file' caught my attention. So, I spent 15 minutes filing all of the surfaces that were sticking together. I put it all back together, and it sorta worked, except it looked like the bearings would fall out at the slightest jar.

I scratched my head for a little while and kicked myself for not taking more pictures before starting, and finally I figured out that I had the slip collar in the wrong direction. I took it all apart and put it back together correctly, and it works perfectly.

Pics are attached:

BTW, thankyou very much for sharing your pics. I would have been dead in the water without them and without your assistance. Next round is on me!

jeremi3210

That rusted peice of shaft that was stuck in your pto looks just like the pump driver for the d backhoe i rebuilt the hydro trans in.