Sign in to follow this  
mrc

wheelbearing

mrc

hi guys, i'm refurbishing a 414-8. i removed the front wheels and the inner bearing stayed on the the spindle. i pulled it off with my hand and i could easily push it back into the wheel. will this cause a problem in the future??? if so, what can i do to remedy this situation??? thanks mike in mass.

Save Old Iron

No worries. Wheel bearings should be a light press fit into the rim. A light tap with a punch at the very edge of the wheel where the bearing fits will create a small dimple to tighten up the fit of the bearing in the rim.

• Like 1

Don1977

If you are going to work this tractor hard I suggest you look for a good used rim. I had one like that, I could not keep it tight and it cut up my spindle.

mrc

hello men, 2 different answers. thank you both both for responding. SOI , you are telling me to "stake" the rim. i was thinking that. i must say your electrical knowledge is fantastic. i usually have to read your electric answers 2-3 times to get it. you really know your stuff. thank you mike in mass.

philpjuk

How about cleaning the parts and using "locktite"?

Rooster

How about cleaning the parts and using "locktite"?

NOOOOO..you want that thing back off some day, lol!

Staking it will work best.

How badly is the rim worn?

mrc

hi guys, the 414 had just over 500 hours on it. the tractor was very clean when i purchased it. the wheel looks fine, no abnormal wear that i can see. i staked the rim in about 8 evenly spaced spots. i then inserted the bearing by hand, and finished pushing it into the wheel with my press. i think this should be o.k. regards. mike in mass.