Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Still looking for an original Commando 8 seat

markjs

Yeah, I need one too. The entire metal pan is rusted, simple enough to repair, but I need NOS cushions. I have a couple tears on the edges. I would get it re-upholstered, but I want to preserve the WH stamping.

It seems like one could make a lot of money by making repros with the stamping.

:text-yeahthat:

I hope this isn't taking this thread too far off topic but my D200, which I am just starting to restore, still has the original stamped seat but the edges are tearing badly. I love the stamping so i was considering taking the main panels, back and seat, to an upholsterer and see if they can reupholster the seat but using the original panels, perhaps trimming the edges a bit to sew on fresh material. :scratchead: Anyone tried this? Any thoughts? I should mention this is a 2 piece seat just like the one in Alan's pic.

COMMANDO6

Well, my dad had a great idea. I have a CNC controlled router in my basement. I can take a picture of the stamping for my seat and use that to make an aluminum plate of the stamping. Then I can heat it in the oven, and stamp a blank sheet of vinyl. Then an upholsterer can make a new seat cover with "original" stamping. Ideas?

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

Well, my dad had a great idea. I have a CNC controlled router in my basement. I can take a picture of the stamping for my seat and use that to make an aluminum plate of the stamping. Then I can heat it in the oven, and stamp a blank sheet of vinyl. Then an upholsterer can make a new seat cover with "original" stamping. Ideas?

I saw a picture of a seat this weekend that another collector had redone. he had a buggy company make a new seat and they somehow managed to heat set the logo into his seat back. It looked like they may have used a wood burning tool. I like your idea Commando6. let us know if you go through with this.

AMC RULES

I'm still interested in one too Commando.