Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

Gt14 turned six speed?

HorseWhisperer

As the well working hydrogears are becoming fewer and further between,I'm wondering if a donor six speed would be a daunting challenge or a well deserved BEAST that's unbreakable!Anyone think of this or make this mod?

Wheel Horse Kid

I have never done, but it does not sound like too bad of an idea to me!

HorseWhisperer

Ya know?I know the sundstrands were tuff but parts availability and all are making them hard to save!When I think of hard working or bulletproof I think of GEARS.I imagine it wouldn't be so bad,maybe just some shifter extentions?

bowtiebutler956

I believe its a pretty straight forward swap! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

HorseWhisperer

I have looked for one,and had a few cans-o-smarts in the garage staring at the enticing possibilities.I just spent the last three weeks of evenings making 1 good tranny out of three as well!I wanna believe if it ain't broke............but I believe I gotta fix it!

• Like 1

Sparky

I've often wondered why no one has done it with one of the D series machines as well? The hydro's are one of the D's weak points (and the steering). I have nothing to verify this but I wonder if the 8 speed uni-drive is to narrow for the GT-14 or the D series. Not the transaxle itself but maybe the axles might not stick out far enough.

Mike..............

refracman

I seen a GT14 with a FEL at the Big show in 07 that had a 6sp installed in it. so ya it can be done

racinfool40

as Sparky and Refracman said it's been done..If you look at the tanny's there's not much difference between the Hydro casting and the 4-6-8 speed castngs..whats inside make the difference.Gonna take some mods..but it can be done!!!

MIKE

neil

I would also find it interesting to see if it can be done,

Are the axle shafts on the Gt14 ths same as that would be on a c series ? as lthe castings look to be the same

HorseWhisperer

I am on a mission now.Seems like forever since I have owned a unidrive now,the return to neutral pedal would be your belt tension/ brake with just a different rod? The chassis on the gt seems higher where the shifter goes so the sticks would need extentions and done?Sounds easy.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I am on a mission now.

Awesome, make it so number one. :thumbs:

:popcorn:

HorseWhisperer

Don't you double dog dare me!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

OK then, I'll triple dog dare ya...how do you like that? :ychain:

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Btw Craig,a gt14 by you in Wingdale Ny just ended on ebay.Complete with deck for 200 duckets.Needed wiring.I watched it but just missed the end.

SALTYWRIGHT

I JUST MIGHT DO IT. I WILL LOOK TODAY WHAT WILL HAVE TO BE DONE. RUSS

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Now I remember the problem.If you swap out the hydrogear you lose the lift.I had a 1054 years ago,if I remember correctly it had a remote pump setup similiar to a d series.You would have to recreate that to keep your hydraulic lift.*wah wah wahhhh*

AMC RULES

Btw Craig,a gt14 by you in Wingdale Ny just ended on ebay.Complete with deck for 200 duckets.Needed wiring.I watched it but just missed the end.

...and you didn't call me. :sad-pacing:

refracman

The axels are specific to GT as are the hubs.I do beleive the axels can swap out.

You will need to drill new mounting holes in the top of the trans.

Be a tuff job to stuff a hyd pump like the 1054 has because of space limitations.

and I triple dog dare ya too!

• Like 1

jdog_kustoms

If u are seriously doing it come to the show this year and find mr kane

He is the one with the gt14 8 speed with the loader he is a really nice guy and will tell u all the issues and what he would do differant when he did it

But I honestly don't think it will be that hard the hardest part would be hissing a hydro pump for the lifts but with all the stuff they make nodays I'm Gona be doing a c195 8 speed as soon as I buy another one and get time

And a lot of wheel horse axles can be swaped inside the rear end housing using the stock dofferantials as say ft14 axles in a 1 1/8 axle 8 speed rear housing and differential

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

I think its gonna consume my time this coming winter.I was fortunate to come acrossed this GT with a strong 16 in it.I love the tractor so I think some special love is in the future!However,it would prolly be easier to 8 speed a 1054?

meadowfield

the diff in mine is a 10 pinion limited slip, but with huge needle rollers in the casing so will not fit a standard tranny. Also the axles are longer... so maybe the castings are longer also??

IMG-20120304-00367.jpg

You can defintiely do the swap... (theres one in the UK with a 6 speed, but wrong hub ends and wheels)

mark

• Like 1