Sign in to follow this  
Shiloh Red Rider

Gas Overflow

Shiloh Red Rider

I just replaced the throttle and choke cables on my "new" (1969) Raider 10 with a 10 HP Tecumseh motor. I also removed the gas tank and cleaned the entire area (had gathered some extraneous materials over the years). After replacing the gas tank and opening the shutoff valve, the engine obviously would not run properly. Quickly observed gas dripping from the air filter. I turned the mower off, and removed the filter...gas continued to drain from the carb. I turned the fuel off, and the leakage stopped immediately. With the fuel shut-off closed the tractor starts and runs perfectly. When the shut-off is opened the motor quickly bogs and fuel spits from the carb.

It's probably a stuck or sunken fuel float. Anyone have any tricks to un-stick a stuck float? Or is the only option a carb rebuild/replacement?

KATO

If there was that much junk in the tank then a rebuild would be the best way to go . However, if your float isnt

full of fuel (sunken), you just might be able to clean the carb out carefully with compressed air, by removing the

fuel line where it goes in to the carb. then remove the float bowl ,(it should be cleaned out anyway).Remove the

float pin and the needle will drop out with the float. Be careful not to loose the needle or its clip. GENTLY

blow air through the fuel inlet fitting being careful not to blow the rubber seat out of the (tecumseh) carb.

Reassemble and try your luck.

KEN

• Like 1

Shiloh Red Rider

Thanks Ken!

I'll give that a try. (The fuel tank didn't have any debris in it...the stuff I cleaned was on top of the cylinder and behind/under the tank. The tank itself was pristine on the inside, but the tractor has set for a while....so may have some laquer in the float system (I hope).) If the clean-out doesn't work should be a simple r&r for the float. Again, thanks for the tip!

Bruce

JamesBe1

I've been through that lots of times. Probably some debris is keeping your float needle from closing properly. Either that, or your float is leaking, but that would be a strange coincidence.

The quickest and easiest thing to try is to remove the fuel line from the carb and squirt carb cleaner in the carb fuel lnlet. If the float bowl is already full of liquid, it makes it harder to get the cleaner to the area where the needle seats, so it helps tremendously to remove the float bowl.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then you are best to take the carb off and dismantling it for a more thorough cleaning. You might even think about replacing the float needle and seat while you have it apart anyhow.

Shiloh Red Rider

Thanks Be1!

I'll get a can of carb cleaner before I remove the bowl to try to clean the float/needle.

AMC RULES

Hey there Shiloh :greetings-wavingyellow:

:WRS:

JamesBe1

Thanks Be1!

I'll get a can of carb cleaner before I remove the bowl to try to clean the float/needle.

Keep in mind that this is a "quick fix". Whatever is blocking the float needle may go on to clog your main jet. Then again, it may not.

Just thought you should be aware of that. I haven't had that problem ever, but it obviously can happen.

Shiloh Red Rider

Finally got this one resolved. The primary issue was a pin-hole in the float. Once the carburator was off of the tractor, it became evident the fuel pump diaphram was in bad shape. It took a while to get a replacement. But after replacing the float, the valvel and seat, and the diaphram, the 10 HP Tecumseh runs like a top. Thanks to all for the help!

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Glad you got her up and running. :thumbs: One more thing :WRS: and :wwp:

Matt :flags-texas: