Sign in to follow this  
Hammerhead

A guy dropped off a cheap D160 today!

Hammerhead

A fellow WH collector I know texted me(OMG, did I just say that?!) said he had a D-160 he wanted rid of. Said he'd take $150 for it and a couple parts for his B80 he was restoring. I gave him the cash and 4 parts off a C160 parts machine I recently got for cheap and we made the swap. He even delivered it to my door! It ain't too bad but the left rear axle won't stay in the transmission, looks like a C-clip fell off? Any idea's about that guys? I haven't worked on one of these yet. He said he had to find the front grill, headlights and the rear hub, but he has them somewhere. Even came with a descent 48 inch mower deck. The seat was shot so I added my good old faithful red boat seat for temporary purposes! Price was right so I figured what the heck! I thought I was selling a bunch of my herd but they keep showing up on my doorstep! 051-3.jpg050-2.jpg034-4.jpg

AMC RULES

You must be leaving bread crumbs out on the stoop? :scratchead:

Nice score there. :thumbs:

1maidenfan

I am looking at the pic's you posted, is that a single cylinder kohler on your D160? I have a D160 and it has a twin onan, was wondering why the difference. Any one out there have an idea why wheel horse done this?

Great score for $150.

These machines are beasts and I love mine, I have 3. ( 18 auto, D160 and D200 )

I had my 18 auto trans apart and don't recall any C clips like an auto...just looked through my manual and there are external clips, basicly C clips on the end of each shaft. I would say one of those broke or came off.

I have pic's of the break down if you need it.

Good luck.

whfan74

John,

In 1974 they used single cylinder Kohlers. The reason for the switch........that I don't know.

Jake Kuhn

That was one good deal you got :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

stevebo

You will need to pull the entire rear end apart to fix it. If you are going to actually take on that task then I would add the hardened bolts.

1maidenfan

John,

In 1974 they used single cylinder Kohlers. The reason for the switch........that I don't know.

Thanks Scott.

bowtiebutler956

That's a solid looking machine. :thumbs: I'm a big fan of the K-341 as well! :wicked:

Matt :flags-texas:

Wheel Horse Kid

Great find!