Sign in to follow this  
bountyhunter

Need help with Identifying Wheel Horse

bountyhunter

I have pics on my desktop but I'm out of the state and on my laptop so I'll get some posted Sunday evening when I get back home. The single throttle cable is correct for the GT-1100. When the handle is lifted all the way up it sets the choke to closed on the Briggs. Once its running you back it down just a smidge and your off and mowing.

Mike...............

Yea I knoiw that, I have been working on mowers & chiansaws for 21 years and have my own shop. But this one has a place for a seperate choke control. In the pic it's on the left side of the steering wheel. I did some sanding on the hood today and found the front of the hood below the headlights was once black. I also sanded on the decal above the dash on the hood and the best I coulod get was; A triangle warnign sign and CAUTION, then below that is

numbers 1 thru 8; 1 Read and understand operators manual before using machine. 2- Know location and function of control 3- Keep all guards in place 4- Never allow ??? 5- Keep ???? 6-Do not allow children to operate ?? 7- Before leaving seat disengage attacthment ??? clutch, stop engine ??? remove ignition key ??? 8- ??????? ?? to stop before ????? machine. Tried to find a decal on several WH Decal sites but could not find this one.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam

bountyhunter

Now, I have a question. From other members replies and suggestions and pictures that I have found, I pretty much have decided that the WH I just bought is a GT1100 Work Horse. What

year it is I haven't found out yet. I was told that the color might have been "Pewter", I found a pic of an Gt1100 and it looks Grey, like the color under the hood of my WH. My question is; is there a "Pewter" color in a spray can or would a close Grey work. I know the first comment is going to be it's up to the owner, but I would like to get as close to original as possible without paying The WH

prices.

Thanks,

Sam

Sparky

I dont know what years had what color scheme but yours is an 82, 83 or 84.

1982= A1-114201

1983= A1-114202

1984= A1-11B801

I'm not sure what year mine is actually :scratchead:

post-2-0-89198300-1336339086_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-92558800-1336339111_thumb.jpg

Mike...............

Sparky

So I got off my lazy butt and went out to the garage. You can see the model# decal in the side shot of mine just under the twin decal. Mine is a A116B801 which makes it a 1984. The paint is original on mine so the 84's were grey and not pewter.

Mike................

TT

The standard color on all three years of WorkHorse LT & GT models was indeed called pewter.

The majority of the 1982 models were pewter metallic - which has a goldish-green look when directly compared to the 1983/84 non-metallic pewter ~ which looks like more of a light gray.

Just another clue to help ID these: Most 1982 models do not have the rubber hood latches.

Models (product numbers) ending with "00" are all 1984's & were sold as the bare tractor.

1982/83 models were sold with the mower deck and the last two digits of the (product) number represent the original deck width of cut. (37, 42, 48, etc.)

bountyhunter

The standard color on all three years of WorkHorse LT & GT models was indeed called pewter.

The majority of the 1982 models were pewter metallic - which has a goldish-green look when directly compared to the 1983/84 non-metallic pewter ~ which looks like more of a light gray.

Just another clue to help ID these: Most 1982 models do not have the rubber hood latches.

Models (product numbers) ending with "00" are all 1984's & were sold as the bare tractor.

1982/83 models were sold with the mower deck and the last two digits of the (product) number represent the original deck width of cut. (37, 42, 48, etc.)

Thanks, Mine does have the rubber hood latches or at least whats left of them. I did find a website that has the WH models listed by Model/Year/Engine HP- type/ Trans. Model and I found a GT1100 Model A1-11B801 1984 11HP B&S , WH trans 5086, also a GT1142 A1-114202 1983, 11HP B&S, WH Trans. 5086. It had a 1982 GT1142 listed but if you say the 82's didn't come with rubber hood latches then it not an '82. It doesn't have any number left on it, that I have found yet and no deck with it, so going to start with trans. and see if I can find numbers on it. I found a pic on Craiglists of one and it looks a lot like mine, except where it was disgraced by the previous owner.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Sam

TT

1984 GT-1100:

NAMAspring2008012-1.jpg

1983 GT-1142:

GT11001983.jpg

RS member "marvairplanes" 1982 GT-1142:

GT11-42.jpg

It would be very tough - if not impossible - to tell a 1983 & 1984 apart if the engine has been changed and the decals are painted over or missing.

Sparky

Ummm...stupid question but what holds down the hood on the 82's if they dont use the rubber hold downs?

Mike.......

TT

There is an additional "tab" centered on the inside of the hood. It snaps down on to the upper section of the hoodstand.

One good bump into something with the grille and it no longer functions. :hide:

Sparky

Ahh...got it and yep, it sounds like a poor design.

Thanks for the info!

Mike.............

bountyhunter

1984 GT-1100:

NAMAspring2008012-1.jpg

1983 GT-1142:

GT11001983.jpg

RS member "marvairplanes" 1982 GT-1142:

GT11-42.jpg

It would be very tough - if not impossible - to tell a 1983 & 1984 apart if the engine has been changed and the decals are painted over or missing.

I can see where you would say that, but I have noticed a difference in the GT1142 and the GT1100. The pictures here of the GT1142 on the dash there is 2 gauges and mine only has one,maybe that's one way to tell

?

TT

The amp gauge is the only one originally installed.

Marv's might have an added hour meter?

The ID sticker placement looks to be different between the 1982 models and the '83/'84 models though.