Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

What Kind Of Primer

bowtiebutler956

I just spent the whole day sand blasting my son's little Bantam tractor. I was just wondering what kind of primer you guys use on bare metal? My paint supplier recomends an expensive epoxy pimer for bare metal, and I really don't have the extra cash, unless its really necessary. This is the first tractor I've ever completely stripped down to the bare metal. That sand gets everywhere, even where the sun don't shine. :ychain: Anyway that gray primer is cheap, but the epoxy primer is almost $70 a quart! :banghead: Any recommendations would be appreciated. :thumbs:

Matt

grnlark

Dupli-color makes a real nice self etching primer. I use it all the time and have never had an issue.

bowtiebutler956

Say Matt, Do you happen to remember what it cost?

Matt :flags-texas:

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:

post-3498-0-97575900-1335657600_thumb.jp

bowtiebutler956

Craig, I hadn't even considered using a rattle can, but I guess I could. Still think I would be better off with something I could use my gun with. I bet I could buy that by the quart as well. I'll have to check the price. :thumbs::thanks: Craig.

rmaynard

Wow! :eek: $70/quart? I am using PPG epoxy primer on my Commando 8. Just picked up a quart on Friday. It was $24.05 + $8.40 for hardener.

zieg72

What type of topcoat do you plan on using? That usually dictates the primer. My $.02

Kelly

The finished product is only as good as the base it is on, use a epoxy primer with a hardner even if cheap stuff, it will pay off in the end and years down the road it will still be holding up.

bowtiebutler956

Wow! :eek: $70/quart? I am using PPG epoxy primer on my Commando 8. Just picked up a quart on Friday. It was $24.05 + $8.40 for hardener.

That's crazy Maynard! I wonder how on earth they can charge $70 a quart down here, and its not even a good brand like PPG. :banghead:

Thanks for the recomendations guys. :thumbs: I guess I'll use the epoxy primer. I want it to last, so maybe someday my son will give it to his son, and it will have been thru 4 generations of my family. :woohoo:

rmaynard

Just keep in mind that epoxy primer must be recoated within a certain amount of time or you will have to scuff it before topcoating. The PPG (Shop-line JP375) primer that I am using has a 72 hour recoat window.

fourwheels0

i'd say use GRAY primer............................. sorry somebody had to say it lol.

yes use the self etching for good results.

• Like 1

tiggercl

Did Wheel Horse / Toro ever use primer on their tractors?

Stripping back several implements lately it seems that they may have used a combination of good quality tractor enamel direct to metal and power coating systems....

AMC RULES

Did Wheel Horse / Toro ever use primer on their tractors?

I don't think they did. :scratchead:

To date, I've yet to discover evidence of any residing under factory paint. :dunno:

bowtiebutler956

I know there was no evidence of it anywhere on my B-80. Maybe thats how they get that really nice even pantina look to them when they get old. :ychain: I'd be my luck that if I didn't use any primer, it would be rusty by next year. Then my son Danny would be wanting me to repaint it again.