Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

My new CL score

Kelly

I was looking on CL lastnight and seen a ad for a 68 Wheel horse, I clicked on it but the pic was a 701, after sending the guy about 6 emails he finally called me today, I asked a few questions as the pic was small and not very good, well it sounded like it was complete, so we set up a time and I drove over to take look, it was only 25 miles away not a bad drive, I get there and find this 99% orig 701 that has not ran in 30 years parked in his shed the whole time he told me, he said when he parked it it was low on power, and planned to restore it someday, well after 30 years he said someday has came and gone, he looked to be in his mid 70's, I gave a little more than I normaly do but it was in good over all shape, I think between the 4 701's I have now I can put together a very nice machine, or two, this one has the orig. seat cover on it not in good shape but orig. and it has the linnen biege seat pan on it, my other ones have red seat pans, the deck on it is in sad shape but I don't care about the deck, the hood is probably the in the best shape of all the ones I have with 2 dent, and no major rust, in fact no pitting I could see. any way here is pics before I get yelled at for not posting some.

post-85-0-62368100-1335642170_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-12358000-1335642371_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-66983500-1335642454_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-49013100-1335642609_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

whfan74

Leave that one just the way it is..........

Jake Kuhn

I kept trying to get the guy to call me but got no responses. Looks like a really nice tractor. Anyways good luck with it,Jake

Kelly

I thought about it, I still need to power wash it, but I think it will get restored, not right away, it has lots of small issues, that when you add them up means the whole thing has to come apart, we will see, I know they can never be orig, again and I support that 100% but you have to see it in person to understand.

Jake he said I was the first one to email him, and he thought it was only right to start with the first on the list.

varosd

Looks great Kelly! another one saved!

AMC RULES

Nice looking machine Kelly. :text-coolphotos:

Hydro

Whatever you do with it, I'm it will live again. :handgestures-thumbup:

bowtiebutler956

Nice find Kelly! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

Shuboxlover

I've never seen a guy so luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! :snooty: ........................................................................................ :greetings-clappingyellow: Good score Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!!

grnlark

Sweet!

can whlvr

really nice

stevebo

Very nice find !! Are the rear wheels on the deck original? I have not seen that wheel mount style before.

Kelly

The right side of the deck has a guard, I guess to keep from catching the wheel on something the PO mowed around on that side, it was very nicely done.

stevebo

Kelly-

That makes sense. I like what he did there.

speedyleedy

Great score kelly ! :)

rydogg

Nice 701 Kelly...you even got the double pulley cover and nice correct fenders. I believe the correct deck for a 701 has the wheels hidden underneath and is completely square with no "bump out" covers I have one here I will try to get a picture of it. Seeing all the red in the backround of your pictures make me want road trip out to see your collection.

Kelly

I have a nice hidden wheel deck on one of my other 701's your more than welcome to stop by, but i think it might be drive for you, there is hours of stuff to look at, I had a guy here fri. buying a 12hp kohler he drove 1.5 hours and spent 2.5 hours here walking around looking at everything and talking.

otrelwood

i've been there twice and done that both times

Wheel-N-It

Good find Kelly! It will be a sweet little tractor when you finish with it.

Martin

looks like a very nice original there, kelly. nice to be able to come across them like that.... :thumbs:

rj35hunter

Leave that one just the way it is..........

I agree!! Very nice find for sure!! I am jealous.... :)

Kelly

well it went to the car wash today, and cleaned 50 years of grease off it, it tured out looking pretty good, got home topped the oil off, hooked up my batt. charger and cranked it over, the starter is a bit slow, and the bearings make noise, I even oiled them they are the old style with the little oilers on them, I checked for spark yup had spark so I shot a bit of brake clean in the carb. it fired right up, but not with out a cloud of smoke, I cleaned the sediment bowl added some fresh gas and nothing, I made sure the petcock was open pulled the line off the pump nothing, oh ya I forgot to say someone had plumbed it hard line from the tank to the pump with copper line, nice job also, well they installed a second shut off valve I opened that and the gas was a flowing, hooked the line back up, cranked it only to see the pump was pumping as much on the ground as in the carb. I snugged up the screws that helped, so I cranked it and set the choke it fired right up with another cloud of smoke but after a few min. of running it cleared up the pump quit leaking so bad and the more it ran the better it ran, and get this the throttle cable is smoooooth and still locks when you twist it :party: the steering is probably the worst I have ever seen, everything is worn out and sloppy, you can grab the front tires and move them away from each other in the front 4" no joke not sure how anyone ever drove this in a straight line, let alone mowed a lawn, the hubs are shot on the back, tires are weathered bad, but the rims are clean with no pitting, the sheet metal is overall pretty nice, with liitle to no pitting, the belt guard has had a chunk cut out of it but nicly done so it will be a easy fix, when I pulled the hood the paint on the bottom was falling off like it had stripper sprayed on it, but I wiped it off only to see shiny bare metal, this hood will be nice to work with, the seat pan has been welded up and not very good, the steering wheel is cracked bad, dash is broken but had a alum. piece custom fit to repair it, and I mean custom it looks very nice, I think for the summer and probably a few after this I will clean it up fix the steering swap the hubs and take it to the shows as is, but it will get a full restore someday

SousaKerry

Kelly, was that the one down in Horton??

Kelly

No it was in Lansing. right off I-496

perry

nice to find them close to home. and a 701 :) .

CL has seem to dry up in my local area. i am not seeing the old tractors like i used to. but i also haven't been looking daily like before.