Sign in to follow this  
dcrage

Wheel Horse Saw???

dcrage

Anybody know if this is a Wheel Horse saw or not -- Not something I have seen before -- This is in a KC Craiglist offering

5N65Gc5U53E53G93Iec4q2767b04690fb1c7a.jpg

AMC RULES

I don't know...kinda sorta looks like it's homemade to me. :dunno:

bowtiebutler956

I'm no expert either, but it really does look like something someone biult themselves. I'm sure someone hear will let you know for sure, here shortly. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

squonk

I don't think :wh: made a buzz saw for a little Lawn Rocket :confusion-scratchheadblue: There's a dangerous combo. A Tecky mated to a Buzzer! :naughty:

• Like 1

SgtBob

That looks like the most dangerous option I have ever seen. Definitely not OSHA approved !!!!

• Like 2

Sparky

Do you really want sawdust flying aroung the intake of a Tecumseh? The carbs are finicky enough with out the possibility of sawdust getting in it :ychain: !

Neat looking attachment but I dont think its factory.

Mike.............

jachady

That same tractor was for sale up in the Minneapolis area last year.

bowtiebutler956

I bet the other :wh:'s wouldn't give that little guy any lip, packing that kind of artillery. :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

312Hydro

Battle-bots,anyone?

• Like 2

smoreau

I have seen pics of them before. It looks the same as I remember, so it might be a aftermarket attachment. Its as scary as the log splitter cone type.

AMC RULES

:teasing-poke: Imagine the carnage one could cause by mounting both, the cone splitter, and the saw on the same machine. :auto-ambulance: :auto-ambulance: :auto-ambulance:

gwest_ca

Wonder how they got the saw blade to turn in the correct direction?

Garry

Anglo Traction

:omg: That look's pretty iffy !........ Handy for chopping off low branches when mowing under trees though . There have been a couple of 'So called' WH Saw Tables on Auctions over here, but have doubts they were the Real Mc Coy. That look's like a Heath Robinson build

dcrage

Gary

Here is a picture of the otherside of this setup

5G55H15Jb3F23Ib3Hac4q20f5a8ba2f851766.jpg

SousaKerry

Wow that is for sure a Redneck innovation. Pretty sure Wheel Horse would have never used a flat leather belt to drive it.

Wonder if they had a table to go with it, would have been real hard to hold the logs without it.

When I was a kid we burned railroad ties to heat the house Dad had a buzz saw that was bolted to the front of the Farmall H, much bigger blade and it had a pivoting table that you loaded the ties onto and tilted them into the saw, worked pretty slick but the rocks and crap in the ties dulled the blade in short order. When the railroads stopped giving away ties and started contracting the work out and selling them we finally got a new fangled propane bottle and furnace, heck you didn't even have to get up in the middle of the night to add more wood anymore.... Imagine that, and no creosote fumes in the house either. :text-banplz:

oh and believe it or not we were burning them up until about 1989 or so

dcrage

I have vivid memories of my Granddad cutting firewood and sharpening oak posts for driving into the ground on a buzz saw (2 ft blade on a rough cut frame; no gaurds anywhere) connected by a big leather belt to the side pto on one of his Farmall Hs -- Throw a little used motor oil on the blade every once in a while to lower the friction; you were good to go -- Mind you this would have been back in the mid 60's and OSHA wasn't anywhere to be found -- Boy did that arrangement put the fear of God into me -- It was scary

CasualObserver

I remember that tractor being for sale up here in MN for a long time last year... Pretty sure the guy said in the listing it was a homemade saw setup. Odd trivia though... across the pond there was a aftermarket saw table made for Cub Cadet! tablesaw.jpg

DoctorHfuhruhurr

just don't trip or you could lose a hand arm or head

Anglo Traction

That last picture Dave posted is bugging me. That Belt/Pulley set up shows it rotates anti-clockwise (viewed).

So why are the Buzz Blade teeth pointing forward to the Front (clockwise) ?.

CasualObserver

Maybe they were cutting metal with it last? :lol:

gwest_ca

Wonder how they got the saw blade to turn in the correct direction?

Garry

Guess they didn't. There is a never used saw as it sits because there is no way it would cut. Just finished 6 hours of using an old Simplicity 2-wheel with a 20" blade. Great for cutting up the light wood that is too dangerous to cut with a chainsaw.

Garry

Jumo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't PTO rotate clockwise? Assuming you are looking right at the PTO. So why wouldn't the blade rotate clockwise like a snowblower?

gwest_ca

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't PTO rotate clockwise? Assuming you are looking right at the PTO. So why wouldn't the blade rotate clockwise like a snowblower?

When looking at the pto side the pulley rotates counter-clockwise.

A snowthrower's direction is reversed by the roller chain going over the auger instead of around it. The same could be done to the saw if one could find a 6-sided double-V belt the correct length.

Garry

CasualObserver

If you want to figure it out....Don't bother thinking about it as clockwise or counterclockwise.. as that is relevant to the side of the engine you're on. Look at the pull rope. Figure out which way the flywheel is going to turn when you pull the rope. That's the direction it runs.

Jumo

When looking at the pto side the pulley rotates counter-clockwise. A snowthrower's direction is reversed by the roller chain going over the auger instead of around it. The same could be done to the saw if one could find a 6-sided double-V belt the correct length. Garry

Gottcha, makes sense now thx.