Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Hard Plastic Steering Wheel Restoration

rmaynard

I know that the subject of steering wheel restoration has been covered here on several occasions, but I thought that I would start a new conversation about it.

I have a hard (shiny) plastic steering wheel from my Commando 8 that needs some work. Dings and cracks have been filled with epoxy, and now I am at the point where I want to paint or coat the wheel with a suitable finish.

So here is my question. What is the best paint, dye, or other material to coat the steering wheel and end up with a nice shiny finish that won't rub or wear off? I would like to hear from those of you who have actually done this, and have results from a couple of seasons of use.

Thanks in advance.

Fun Engineer

Bob

I did my 857 about 10 years ago with a plastic/vinyl automotive paint. I don't remember the brand or anything else but it came out looking pretty good. I tried polishing it but couldn't stop from burning the plastic so I decided to paint it. Sorry can't get a picture of it till the weekend.

rmaynard

Thanks for the info. I have researched several different paints, but as is the case with most plastics, paint does not want to adhere well.

JimD

Bob, this product may work for you. Third one down in the link.

http://www.formaxmfg.com/plastic-buffing-wheel-bar-compounds

This would be use with a soft buffing wheel.

Martin

jim, thanks for the link, i might just try some of this stuff on some of my black knobs.

rmaynard

Looks like something that I may try. Thanks for the link Jim.

buckrancher

VHT vinyl dye

Fun Engineer

Bob

I found the old can from my 857 steering wheel restoration. It was from SEM Products. Color Coat, Flexible Coating. Changes or Renews color on most Flexible and Rigid Plastics, Carpet, Vinyl and Velour. Gloss Black #15233.