Sign in to follow this  
redidbull

Tie Rod Fell Off

redidbull

I am not sure if this is where to put this. When I bought my 73 NO Name there was a piece of small chain wrapped around the right side out tie rod end. While using it this past weekend the chain fell off and the tie rod fell off sending the wheels in opposite directions. I was able to line the tie rod hole up with the spindle but it didn't pop or sap on so I had to reuse the chain. How is the tie rod suppose to hold onto the spindle? Should it snap on? Thanks for any help. Jim

rmaynard

Yes, they are pressed together. Short of replacing the tie-rod or the end (if it is replaceable) you will need to remove the tie-rod. Place the ball into the socket and using a hammer and a punch, peen the metal around the edge of the socket to hold the ball in place. Then get a replacement set of tie-rods to repair the tractor properly.

SousaKerry

Yeah don't waste your time get a new set, I've tried to fix several they fall apart in a week or less

Sparky

Place the ball into the socket and using a hammer and a punch, peen the metal around the edge of the socket to hold the ball in place. Then get a replacement set of tie-rods to repair the tractor properly.

I've done a few with Bob's method and they have lasted a few years! Before I stick the ball back in the socket I put a good dab of grease in it.

Mike..............

Raider12

Use a Zip Tie, it works great and will last for years. Just ask me! :laughing-rofl:

You really should replace the part!

64s

I'm with Raider 12, you just reminded me that I "fixed" mine with electrical cord at least a year ago, if not longer. It works so well that I forgot about it. BUT, ......it really should be fixed correctly so that no accidents can happen.

redidbull

Thank you all. I will eventually fix it but really like the zip tie idea for the short term. Jim

BOWTIE

HELLO, I HAVE REPAIRED ORIGINALS TO LIKE NEW. TAKE A 3/8" LOCK WASHER AND SPREAD IT A PART AND GRIND A LITTLE OFF THE END. BEND IT FLAT AND SLIP IT OVER THE BALL,SQUEEZE IT BACK TOGETHER AND WELD IT TO THE TIE ROD. GRIND THE SIDES OF THE WASHER DOWN TO THE TIE ROD. OIL IT UP AND SLIP THE RUBBER BOOT OVER IT. IT WORKS GREAT. GIVE IT TRY IF YOU HAVE MIG WELDER. I CAN SEND YOU PICTURE OF A REPAIRED ROD IF NEEDED. BOWTIE@COLUMBUS.RR.COM

BOWTIE IN OHIO

• Like 2

cjtrott

I worked at the local shop until a few months ago, the adjustable ends are like four bucks and the non adjustable tierod (the whole thing) is between 25 and 30. They are pretty interchangeable as well. Do yourself a favor and just replace it. You will be glad you did. You could also by the new end and weld it on if you wanted a small project. That is what I am doing for a little rat rod horse I'm building.

squonk

Here you go..... Make your own....much cheaper and probably stronger!

http://www.mcmaster....od-ends/=h5db2l

That's what I did on my 704. They don't look factory but they work better than new.

Image0092.jpg

Image0091.jpg

• Like 1

can whlvr

dont forget the old tried and true mecanics wire and a hose clamp,gonna try the washer welded method though