Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

Then & Now: 40 Years...Give or Take.

chesbaycruiser

I spent last week at our river place with my two youngest sons (who are about to turn 14 & 15). It was just them and me. We had a great time, and I got a lot of work done on the house. The house used to be the home of my maternal grandparents, and I've already posted and other places about how after many years, I was able to get back my grandfather's long-lost 1973 Wheel Horse Model 10 that was sold after he died in '93.

Anyway, this winter when my B-80 went on the list just before a potential snowstorm, I made some room here at the house, brought the 10 home, and spent about 10 hours one Saturday getting it running so I could push snow. And run she does! There's a little smoke during rapid throttle adjustment, and the slightest of "creep" forward when she's in neutral on level ground, but other than that, she's strong. Although the front lens is gone, even the headlights/tail light work!

But I digress, so back to the river house. There's a pretty nice Craftsman 19HP Twin down there right now, but it had been sitting all winter and I wasn't sure what it's running state would be. Plus, I can put a regular hitch-ball on the WH, and I knew that would be handy, so I put a deck on the old girl (the original is solid, but needs some welding), loaded her up and off we went.

I know it sounds silly, but it was really an emotional moment cutting the grass there with that tractor for the first time in almost 20 years. I don't know if my grandfather is looking down or not, but if he is, I can't help but think he was pleased. He really loved that tractor.

So...just for fun, I thought I'd do a "DearPhotograph" kind of thing. It's not exact, but close enough. Enjoy!

magriwh01.jpg

magriwh02.jpg

• Like 3

Challenger

Great story. You made my day.

- Challenger

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Man, that is cool, you done your Grandpa proud right there. :bow-blue:

squonk

About 1969 1964 604

Snapshot2010-03-0118-56-48.jpg

2010 1964 704

DSCF0750.jpg

Rooster

jUST NEAT!

speedyleedy

That is a wonderful story & great pictures ! Nothing wrong with feeiing good about emotion like that ! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Steve B.

Those are great pics. Love the "then & now" stuff. Thanks for sharing these.

dclarke

Thanks Chris. really neat pics. Maybe you should frame those and hang them in that house.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Very cool pictures guys! Jake

bowtiebutler956

That's Awesome. I love seeing stuff like this. :text-coolphotos:

Matt :flags-texas:

Wheel Horse Kid

Very nice pictures! I am sure your Grandpa would be proud of you!

Ken B

Totally cool!

tgranthamfd

Very cool story and pictures, you nailed it. One of my fondest grand dad memories took place in the panhandle of Texas, but he was a Sears and Robuck man, I think he had a Sears super 16, with a manual lift 3 point and a little disk with carpet folded up on top of it for me and my brother to sit on, while he drove us around everywhere. Sadly, the tractor is long gone, but I found and kept the disk and rear blade that he had. Once again, Very Cool.

fabricator2009

I have my dad's D160. So I know what you mean.

pfrederi

Great Stuff....Wish I had some pictures of my father on the L-107

chesbaycruiser

Thanks for all the kind words and "likes" for the photos folks!

It's nice knowing many of these machines manage to get handed down and stay in the family....albeit with a "detour" in my case! My youngest son is already clamoring to know which one will eventually be "his"!

FYI...a full resto on the 10 is still in the works, although I must admit, I'm having too much fun using her right now to think about tearing her down. And I must also add that although I purchased a correct, adjustable seat for the tractor almost as soon as I got it back, and the old, white boat seat that is on there now is too close to the wheel for my 6' 4" frame, that thing is easily the most comfortable seat on ANY of my tractors, including the ZTR seat with arm-rests! My butt loves it!

SousaKerry

Simply sweet

gsinal

very cool. :)

brybrychrismer

awesome story.

SAM58

I spent last week at our river place with my two youngest sons (who are about to turn 14 & 15). It was just them and me. We had a great time, and I got a lot of work done on the house. The house used to be the home of my maternal grandparents, and I've already posted and other places about how after many years, I was able to get back my grandfather's long-lost 1973 Wheel Horse Model 10 that was sold after he died in '93.

Anyway, this winter when my B-80 went on the list just before a potential snowstorm, I made some room here at the house, brought the 10 home, and spent about 10 hours one Saturday getting it running so I could push snow. And run she does! There's a little smoke during rapid throttle adjustment, and the slightest of "creep" forward when she's in neutral on level ground, but other than that, she's strong. Although the front lens is gone, even the headlights/tail light work!

But I digress, so back to the river house. There's a pretty nice Craftsman 19HP Twin down there right now, but it had been sitting all winter and I wasn't sure what it's running state would be. Plus, I can put a regular hitch-ball on the WH, and I knew that would be handy, so I put a deck on the old girl (the original is solid, but needs some welding), loaded her up and off we went.

I know it sounds silly, but it was really an emotional moment cutting the grass there with that tractor for the first time in almost 20 years. I don't know if my grandfather is looking down or not, but if he is, I can't help but think he was pleased. He really loved that tractor.

So...just for fun, I thought I'd do a "DearPhotograph" kind of thing. It's not exact, but close enough. Enjoy!

magriwh01.jpg

magriwh02.jpg

Time for a restore!!!!

squonk

I'd like to see some shots of us as kids on their first time on a :wh: and then now.