Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

Altered Hour Meters

Challenger

To those of you who have purchased multiple used tractors over the years, do you ever run in to machines where you suspect the original hour meter has been changed or, if possible, rolled back?

I recently looked at a tractor showing 500 hours which was soon sold to another buyer. About 10 days later the SAME machine was advertised by the "new" owner claiming less than 300 hours. (Yes it was the same machine).

Your thoughts/comments please.

rmaynard

There are unscrupulous sellers even among the Wheel Horse folks. :disgust:

dennist

I have bought alot of tractors and a fair amt have had the hr meters no longer working, at that point I have replaced with a working meter with X amt of hours, BUT always make that evident to the new owner. I also know when I buy a tractor with the meter working, it my have been changed with a new one starting at zero hrs. I think knowing this ahead of any used purchase, you just have to look the tractor over and judge how well it has been maintained, which is just a guess anyway, unless you have seen the tractor being used since it was new.

MalMac

When you have been around these tractors for awhile you will learn what wears at what hours and so on. Example you look at a used tractor with 100 hours showing on the meter but you look at the clutch and brake pedals and they are showing wear and starting to go smooth on the part where your foot goes that should trigger that somethings just not right. In order to have pedals that wore would take several hundred hours. I bought a 520 once that had sat outside and the gages faded but wouldn't you know it the hour meter was nice brite and shiny. You could tell that the seller was trying to get away with something. No matter how you add it up it comes down to buyer beware. The fact is when you buy used and you don't know anything about the seller or the history on the machine you will always be taking a risk.

• Like 1

Red Horse

Old WH meters prior to the takeover by Toro can easily have their hours rolled back. I've done it on my own tractor for the purpose of seeing how many hours I have run the tractor with a new engine rebuild etc. I have never done that to a tractor I sold. The newer Toro/WH tractors have hour meters that are sealed and can't be easily opened. As MalMac said ,look carefully for other signs of wear other than the hour meter. Condition of paint, oil on the bottom of the frame or engine, tire wear etc all will tell you how many hours the tractor has really run.

Wheel Horse Kid

I have yet to have one that has a rolled over hour meter, but if I sold one with a rolled over meter, I would be sure to say it when I would sell it! It is dishonest any other way!