Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Renting out a tractor??

Kelly

I have a guy I've dealt with before very nice honest guy, he wants to rent a tractor to mow his yard for about 6 weeks, I have a nice one that would work for him, I'll draw up a contract, and get a few hundred $$ for a deposit, what would you charge if you did this? $20 a week, $100 for the 6 weeks? I've never done anything like this, I don't want to screw him but don't want to get screwed, we talked about the condition of the tractor it's a clean 314 I just put work into, and I have a nice 42" RD deck to put on it, so I'm talking about a $700+ set up here.

Just want some input on this, and not 100% sure how to write up the contract?

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Here's a sample template. http://labexofma.com...e_agreement.pdf

I would also include instructions for basic usage and how to check the oil for each use. You can't give him to much info.

AMC RULES

Either way...with payments that low, he could own it in less than a year. :teasing-poke:

Kelly

Well he has owned WH's in the past, and we talked about checking the oil and all, he only needs it for 6 weeks he lost his house, but wants to keep it up for the bank, like I said nice guy.

I'll be using a template for the contract, thanks

puddlejumper

Kelly, I know this will probably go over like a lead balloon, but if he is any kind of buddy at all, agree to if you break it you fix it, and other than that just let him use the tractor.

bk-scouter

I'll agree with puddlejumper on this one, especially if he's having hard times with losing his home...

-BK

KC9KAS

Banks screw people everyday.....let them mow their own yard!

JMHO

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Geeze, oh man...I wonder if it's the same bank that took the house back? :scratchead:

varosd

Kelly,

My 2 cents is write it up on a contract, get a deposit at the least.

I agree with Puddlejumper and BK, for me in maybe a same situation and someone needed the help and I didnt need the money...I would just let them use it and return for free. a lot of variables there and I'm sure this might have cross your mind already. its just 6 weeks of cutting grass to help out a friend in need. my take on it.

Kelly

Well I know the guy from buying stuff from him, but we are far from friends, in fact I can't remember his name right at the min. if it was a friend I wouldn't be asking this question he would just have to buy gas, and mow his yard, I'd love to be a super nice guy and let this person use it for free, but I could use the $$ also, and I planned on selling this unit soon, so now that will have to wait.

rmaynard

Call me curious, but what did he use to cut the grass before the bank took the house? Did they take his lawn mower too?

• Like 3

Hydro

Here's a sample template. http://labexofma.com...e_agreement.pdf

I would also include instructions for basic usage and how to check the oil for each use. You can't give him to much info.

Kelly, this is a great document for your purpose. Friend or not you never know when things can go wrong. Kinda like family, nothing divides them faster than money. In addition to the recommendations above, make sure the safety equipment on the tractor is operational and he acknowledges you have shown him how to operate the tractor and a the safety features. If he is your friend he should understand your need to do this and you can show your friendship by the amount you charge him. :twocents-02cents:

The aspect of Liability is far greater than the value of the Contract

CasualObserver

The contract for your liability protection is a good idea. As for price, I'd say call or stop by the hardware store or nearest equipment rental type place, and see what they charge to rent something similar and go from there. You can choose higher or lower. Depends on if you want word to get out that your renting stuff now.

Completely different idea..... have one of your kids mow for him for the same money or maybe just a little less. Don't know what size lawn we're talking about here, but lawn services usually start in the $35-40 per cut range for an average city lot. This would let you keep the tractor and keep better tabs on the maintenance, the kids get some work and money, he gets the lawn mowed. Win-win-win to me.

• Like 2

Rooster

If you rent him the equipment, you are legally liable if it fails and destroys property or person....

Just a thought...

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

If the guy looking to rent the mower is having financial issues why would pay to rent a mower to maintain a property that he doesn't own? That sounds very strange to me. Where will he store the mower? If it's left at the property it may get cleaned out by the bank or a new buyer. It doesn't make sense to me unless he's looking to suddenly move out of town and take it with him. I wouldn't do it. Just tell him the mower isn't running right.

stevasaurus

Some good food for thought above Kelly. Around here, just running the horse around mowing is going for about $20 a shot....no trimming or yard waste. I like what Jason said about getting paid for mowing the lawn with one of your kids getting the money. They may still be liable for damage done though. Even good friends can screw you...welcome to the 21 century.

:)

• Like 1

rexman72

dont do it because it may end bad.

puddlejumper

I still think its a flat out no or sure you can use it answer for 200$ +or- anymore he can hire it done any less its not worth your headache and worry. If you go through the time and trouble of making a contract other than the liability clause are you really going to send a dollar after a dime if he does breach the contract? time off work, court cost, general discontentment among the community when the story gets out or half the story gets out. All I see is a good chance of a bad experience if done in a business fashion. whereas if you just loan it to him your the nice guy and neighbor who loaned a guy a mower (that will probably give you something in return) and the returns could come back in several directions from the community.

And with what you do for extra income and hobby if he does destroy it , you wont be happy but you will turn a profit in parts :woohoo:

squonk

If He hired a "pro" to do it for say $50.00 a week that's $300. Cheaper for him maybe and relieves you of any headaches. You can put up your tractor for sale when you want to.

stevasaurus

Dang attorneys...they have ruined way too many things. Can't even mow somebody's grass or deliver a paper any more without litigation. Used to be a man's handshake meant something. I am just shaking my head and wondering what it takes to help somebody out once in a while when they are down. I know I will never stop helping out when I can. To me, that is what life is all about. That is the stuff that makes you who you are....what would this world be like if everyone was afraid to help out someone in need because they might end up in court. A sorry state indeed.

:bow-blue: :)

• Like 2

Hydro

Dang attorneys...they have ruined way too many things. Can't even mow somebody's grass or deliver a paper any more without litigation. Used to be a man's handshake meant something. I am just shaking my head and wondering what it takes to help somebody out once in a while when they are down. I know I will never stop helping out when I can. To me, that is what life is all about. That is the stuff that makes you who you are....what would this world be like if everyone was afraid to help out someone in need because they might end up in court. A sorry state indeed.

:bow-blue::)

I agree helping somebody out is one thing... unfortunately when you charge for it such as a lease, added responsibilities come into play. I can't speak exactly for laws in your country or state but the onus changes when fees are charged for a service such as this and that is where the problem lays.

KC9KAS

Not to change the subject, but my insurance agent used to hire a kid to mow his agency lawn.

He found out that he needed to hold out taxes and pay unemployment tax on this kid, so now he mows his own lawn!

stevasaurus

Hydro...you are exactly right...money and a contract bring in all of the above. It still may not be worth the time to take it to court.

Ken...I think your insurance agent tried to take a deduction that he was not entitled to...what do you think??? :)

Hydro

I try to help people every day, in fact in my job I restore people lives, (subject to the conditions of an insurance contract!)... but......I have made a living also by investigating the issues which were never expected to happen and when the gloves come off it's all about liability and negligence.( what you did, did not do, and should have done) It never ceases to amaze me how many people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions! My guess is that borders make no difference to that!

stevasaurus

Gary...you are absolutely correct. If a person ever claimed responsibility for their own actions, the courts would be looking for work. Same in this country, mate.

:)

• Like 1