Sign in to follow this  
varosd

520-H with reel mowers

varosd

My 520-H with newly rebuilt Roxy-bonner gang reel mowers. I just got the 520 when it stopped working and after careful investigation, ruled out, no spark, fuses, battery issues, switches, etc . and with helpful RS advice. I ended up dropping the tank and cleaned it out crud and it then she fired right up!

Reelone.jpg

reeltwo.jpg

• Like 2

smoreau

Good looking 520! Your not even begining to work that one. :ychain:

AMC RULES

Looks like fun, like the cut the reel mowers provide?

varosd

I grew up using a set of gang reels with my Dads B-80. cutting a acre of lawn with a 36inch deck took forever and dragging a 60 inch reel set was easy. the gang reels were sold some years back but I got the B-80. got a freeset of gang reels and rebuilt them and freshly sharpened. you cant have any "tall" weeds or let thegrass get to tall but the cut is great! still working on the 520's 48 inch deck. It needs cleaning up and some surface derusting but it is solid. the bladesare frozen on and after 2wks and tons of PB blaster. I have gotten one off. the PO had a smaller "edger" like blade under the regular blades then the nut. these smaller blades were set at right angles of the regular blades and they have weed whacker strings at the ends. seems thatit may help but hasanyone seen or used this set up?

can whlvr

like to see pics of that

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: :wwp:

Sounds like an "as seen on TV" product. :scratchead:

darren

I'm glad to hear you got the 520 sorted Don

I must find the time to get my reel mowers sorted soon. I have a Ransomes triple-gang setup that need some tlc. Picked them up at an unbeatable price, but I'm keen to strip them down, degrease and spruce them up before putting them to work. They'll give a 90" cut but they're "solidly" engineered so I may need more grunt than my 12hp Kohler to pull them :)

SNYFIX

Biggest "problem" with gangs now is finding someone with the lathes/knowledge

to sharpen them properly. Our lathes were worn out from sharpening so many

reel mowers over the years !!

TT

You want another "set" of R-B reel mowers, Don? I'll sell mine for the $80 I have in them, but they need work.

That 520 should have enough grunt to pull a gang of 5 and you would still have one spare. :thumbs2:

I know a guy that sharpens reels but hates it - especially when they're green ones. :eusa-whistle:

varosd

Thanks for the offer, Terry but the Frau is looking over my shoulder tapping her foot... perhaps we can meet at the big show in June and look at them then!