Sign in to follow this  
dbartlett1958

New Wheel Horse 416-H

dbartlett1958

Hi All,

This past Saturday, I acquired my first Wheel Horse tractor. it is a 1991 416-H, The tractor has 183 hours on it according to the hour meter which seems to be working. With the tractor, I got a 42 inch rear dischard deck, and a 42 inch single stage snowblower, wheel weights, and tire chains all around.

So far, I have purchased a new battery and a new front tire. After fiddling with the wire harness junctions, and temporarily jumping the shift lever switch the tractor starts and runs great. I have ordered a couple of the micro switches to replace the bad one, and have a spare. Today I was looking at the mower deck and noticed that the PO had installed the blades on upside down. I have no idea how long they have been on there like that, but I'm sure they didn't cut as well as they could have.

I have read a lot about the tips regarding the Onan cooling issues, and will be careful to keep things cleaned out as much as possible.

The paint is in pretty rough shape as it was stored in a barn with a dirt floor and less of a roof, then covered with a cheap plastic tarp, so all the moisture stayed under the tarp.

But the price was right! $0.00 Total $ to date including battery and tire, and microswitches, $ 54.77.

ID # 41160E01 11039

Ser # 2000318

Eng Ser # L893632237

Some time when I can take some pictures, I will post them, but I must admit she is not real pretty at this point, but at least it is all there to start with.

Thanks for all the great info and the great site!

David

• Like 1

brybrychrismer

:WRS: congrats on the new horse. Cant wait to see some pics.

dbartlett1958

Hi All,

This past Saturday, I acquired my first Wheel Horse tractor. it is a 1991 416-H, The tractor has 183 hours on it according to the hour meter which seems to be working. With the tractor, I got a 42 inch rear dischard deck, and a 42 inch single stage snowblower, wheel weights, and tire chains all around.

So far, I have purchased a new battery and a new front tire. After fiddling with the wire harness junctions, and temporarily jumping the shift lever switch the tractor starts and runs great. I have ordered a couple of the micro switches to replace the bad one, and have a spare. Today I was looking at the mower deck and noticed that the PO had installed the blades on upside down. I have no idea how long they have been on there like that, but I'm sure they didn't cut as well as they could have.

I have read a lot about the tips regarding the Onan cooling issues, and will be careful to keep things cleaned out as much as possible.

The paint is in pretty rough shape as it was stored in a barn with a dirt floor and less of a roof, then covered with a cheap plastic tarp, so all the moisture stayed under the tarp.

But the price was right! $0.00 Total $ to date including battery and tire, and microswitches, $ 54.77.

ID # 41160E01 11039

Ser # 2000318

Eng Ser # L893632237

Some time when I can take some pictures, I will post them, but I must admit she is not real pretty at this point, but at least it is all there to start with.

Thanks for all the great info and the great site!

David

I don't fully understand everything I know!

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: David. Sounds like a good project, and the price was right for sure! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

nylyon

Great find. I have found that the rear discharge deck leaves far less debris on the engine than the side discharge. I will often take the hand held leaf blower and blow out all the clippings in and around the engine and trans. Every once in a while blow out the engine with compressed air. I should probably remove the shrouds to be sure, but so far the process is working.

AMC RULES

Who cares what it looks like. :dunno:

You've got yourself a highly desireable, good running, and driving :wh: for a total investment of fifty bucks.

You done pretty good in my book Dave. :WRS:

• Like 1

jay in nc

good deal , :text-welcomewave: in the engines post you will find lots of tips on keeping onans clean & happy as well as pictures of ventilated belt guards. Jay

Hydro

I loved my 416H. It was a really sweet runner...and did it ever sound nice when it was working or at a cold idle. Take a look at the belt guard modication posted here the other day. I highly recommend you consider something like that.

:) Enjoy it.

rexman72

david welcome to the site and congrats on the 416H

Wheel-N-It

I don't fully understand everything I know!

Don't feel bad..... The more I know, the less I understand. But one thing I do understand is no matter how that new Horse of yours looks, you got a got it at a good price and sounds like you have a fine WheelHorse. Congragts and welcome the addiction.

can whlvr

wow,60 bucks for a 416 and it runs,cant go wrong there,so if the blades were on backwards wouldnt the back side of the blade be the cutting edge,i dont think the CUT would be very good either

dbartlett1958

Thanks everyone for all the kind words! It is a great running machine(So far!) for the money! :)

And yes, Don, the blades were on backwards so the backside was trying to cut. I took a few pictures today and will get around to posting them soon.

I will look very hard at the belt cover modifications!

Thanks again. David

neil

Welcome to Redsquare David from here in the UK . have some Fun with your new tractor but im sure by the end of the year your collection would have grown by one or two .