Sign in to follow this  
6wheeler

Plowing with the 520

6wheeler

With many thanks to Kelly. My rockshaft came in the mail last Monday. I (of course) installed it Monday night. I didn't have a chance to plow with it until today. It was awesome :banana-tux: . I have never had hydraulic lift on a tractor before, Which is probably why my left arm is longer than my right. It worked great. The only problem I had was lifting and lowering the plow in the right spot. The 520 just plays with the little 10" plow. I had to put a weight on the plow to get it in deep enough. But it worked. Has anyone ever made a bigger plow? Say maybe a 14" or 16"? I think the tractor could handle it but, I don't know how hard that would be on the lift cable or the hydro. Maybe put 2- !0" plows together and make a 2 bottom plow :eusa-think: .

AMC RULES

:scratchead: What...no picts? :popcorn:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Yeah, what he said. Sounds cool, I'd like ti see a pic. :wwp:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

KyBlue

No Pictures .... Didn't happen ... Just sayin! :eusa-think:

• Like 2

Hydro

:text-worthless:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Just sayin' :D

• Like 1

6wheeler

I am computer illiterate. My wife said she can help me get pictures on here, but she hasn't yet. Too busy. I took some plowing and I will get them and some pics of my stuff on here asap.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

That's good news!! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

AMC RULES

I am computer illiterate. My wife said she can help me get pictures on here, but she hasn't yet. Too busy. I took some plowing and I will get them and some pics of my stuff on here asap.

Anything we can do to help...just let us know. :thumbs:

Hydro

:wwp:

Operator

Ya Pat where is the pictures!!!

rydogg

If you are looking for a bigger plow I have this D series 12 inch for sale it's a little rusty from lack of use but once you start to use it I bet it would shine up nice.

post-2337-0-75025400-1333893423.jpg

post-2337-0-89184800-1333893529.jpg

farmer

6wheeler,

Glad to hear your ploughing went well :)

When it comes to a bigger plough, I wouldn't be in a hurry looking for one, realistically on a GT the size of a :wh:, a 12" furrow would be about the maximum.

Its the same as pushing snow, even with 20hp.....you'll just run out of traction if you hang a wider blade on it than it was designed to handle.

Sounds like you've found a good combo, if the tractor's drawing it on nicely..... your enjoying the job..... and the quality of work will be good.

Hang a plough on that the tractor struggles with...... and everything goes down hill. :thumbs: :twocents-twocents:

tgranthamfd

If you are having trouble with the plow sucking in, you might try adjusting the point a little at a time until it does what you want it to do. You shouldn't have to hang any extra weight on it. May just need to set it up for the machine you are using it on.

leeave96

If you are having trouble with the plow sucking in, you might try adjusting the point a little at a time until it does what you want it to do. You shouldn't have to hang any extra weight on it. May just need to set it up for the machine you are using it on.

+1 The plow ought to go down without weight and level out at the same depth if you got the plow point adjusted correctly. It takes some time to do this. Sometimes the coulter will hold the plow out of the ground if you have sod, and I am have taken it off for plowing, but without it, you have to use more pull to get the plow through.

The 12 inch plow shown above would be a nice addition to anyone's plow collection too.

BTW, when lifting the plow at the end of a row, it is a good idea to go backwards a few inches to free the plow from the soil/sod load. I broke a lift cable by not doing this and back then the cable was $26ish, now it's around 35ish - ouch!

Good luck,

Bill