Sign in to follow this  
Pilot78

Value of RJ58?

Pilot78

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I live out west in SLC-Ut. I got interested in the wheel horse for the use oft tugging my Taylorcraft airplane in and out of the hangar and for my kids to putt around our little airport on. I have found several here locally and I am going to check them out his week. One I think is a 1962 serial #32416 with an electric start motor but is missing the hood, and the other 2 are RJ58 models that appear to be fairly complete. One of the RJ58 is a little rusty and the other looks to be in better shape. My question is what are they worth? Of course I would like to purchase them as cheap as possible but I don't want to over pay either. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Brian

SLC-UT

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Do you have any photos?

Pilot78

Here are a few that I have of the RJ58. Last time it ran was 5 yrs ago.

Brian

post-6656-0-75252800-1333389598_thumb.jp

post-6656-0-40015900-1333389637_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Pilot78

A few more..... What would this RJ58 be worth in this condition??

post-6656-0-64516400-1333389846_thumb.jp

post-6656-0-49605700-1333389858_thumb.jp

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Does the MG (or other British auto) go too?

bowtiebutler956

I don't really know what its worth, but it looks like it has alot of potential!! :wicked::text-coolphotos:

Matt :flags-texas:

smoreau

Original shower cap muffler on that one! I would give $200 for it in a min! max would be $250 as you cant hear it run. Running and driving with no funny noises, all gears and brakes working, $400 max.

AMC RULES

I don't know about Utah, but in that condition, it wouldn't last very long around here. You have to consider...they aren't making any more of 'em. :dunno: How much are they asking, if you don't mind me asking? :popcorn:

Sorry, where's my manners? :WRS:

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I agree with smoreau 200 min and 400 in running cond.Good luck let us know how you make out.

jay in nc

400 with the midget or sprite! :ychain: Jay

whfan74

Looks to have the tag too! Look around for a belt cover as well. Otherwise it looks really nice!

neil

shame the wheel arch fenders are not for RJ58 but later model ,

If the tractor was in the UK , the price would reach upto $1000 or alot more , they are rarer that hens teeth over here

grnlark

$3-350 :handgestures-thumbup:

Pilot78

Thanks for all the input..... the guy is asking $400 for the RJ58, but it hasn't ran for about 5 years so I think it's a little high, I did find the belt guard for it under the seat. I think I will offer him $250 to start and see where it goes. I found a 1962 complete Lawn Ranger last night too, running and comes with a plow. I offered him $300 and he said let him think it over for a day.... it has sentimental value to him so we will see what he says tonight. I found another 1962 Lawn Ranger that is in great shape but missing the hood and belt guard, it has nice new rear tires he is asking $100.00. You never know within one week of starting to look I may have 3 horses in the barn.

Brian

SLC-UT

AMC RULES

Good luck in your :wh: quest Brian, let us know how it works out. :popcorn:

buckrancher

looks like it has 701 fenders

$300-350

Pilot78

No matter how much wheelin' Dealin' I could muster the guy won't budge off $400.00. I think I may let is sit for a week or so.

Brian

SLC-UT

troutbum

@pilot78 does thatt have the kohler or the briggs????

VinsRJ

$350-400 is a reasonable price for that RJ. Yes it not running but as long as it spins and has compression, no big deal. Even if it was running you would still have to go through the carb and tune it up.

It looks to have a nice hood and a serial tag, not may of those around anymore. It has a exhaust heat shield and a fairly nice steering wheel. Look through ebay and old ads here on RS for prices if these parts were missing. A nice hood could run up to $100, heat shield $50, steering wheel $50.... on and on. At the end of the day you may find one that is running but it will soak you a lot more if these parts were missing or you would like to swap out for better parts. Not to mention the original Fairbanks recoil is still present.

I will agree though its missing the belt guard, that hurts.... and the fenders are not RJs but.... the tool kit and fenders were an option for RJs, therefore, no biggie.... unless you prefer the look.

@pilot78 does thatt have the kohler or the briggs????

Kohler.... should be a K91