Sign in to follow this  
ree1man

1998 Toro Wheel Horse 314 - 8 #73448

bk-scouter

Good looking 314-8. For $300, you've got a great brother !

-BK

Hydro

for 300 bucks youd be a horse thief where i live :canada::ychain:

Get the rope Don :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

ree1man

Alright, now I have another issue,tractor is not staying running, pulled off the gas tank, flushed it out, blew the fuel lines out, fresh gas, Lucas fuel treatment, new fuel filter, getting spark, getting fuel to carb, but sometimes is VERY HARD to start, when it does, it runs for a little while, spits, backfires, etc , and most of the time just quit's, I know I prob have to pull off the carb, but it look's very intimidating, all that linkage, scared to go near it, afraid i will never be able to get it back together, etc,

I have never tried to pull off a carb in my life, did however pull the bowl off the bottom, and wiped it out, little brown things floating around in it !!!!

It is a Walpro carb ...

Any Insight will be greatly appreciated !

SAM58

$300.00? ... :eusa-think:

Want to Double your money?

ree1man

No Sam !

got the carb off, cleaned the hell out of it, inside and out , reinstalled it , and still did not fix the problem, running out of possibilities .....

can whlvr

your carb needs to be cleaned,im lucky and know a guy with an ultrasonic cleaner,but most use a soaking carb cleaner,one that you put the carb in and let it sit,take lots of pics and you can do the carb,its not too bad if you pay attension and have pics for reference

tgranthamfd

got the carb off, cleaned the hell out of it, inside and out , reinstalled it , and still did not fix the problem, running out of possibilities .....

Did you take the needles out and blow some carb cleaner through all of the little passages?

ree1man

Needles ???, as in more than one, I took out the float, and the hinge for it, and one little short one, that the float controls, oh no, dont tell me some fell out , i did however blow out the passages ....., how many needles are suppose to be in there?

It is the original carb, I believe ....

WH854

Needles ???, as in more than one, I took out the float, and the hinge for it, and one little short one, that the float controls, oh no, dont tell me some fell out , i did however blow out the passages ....., how many needles are suppose to be in there?

It is the original carb, I believe ....

Do you have manuals for this tractor???? It would help you a lot if you did!!!! Go here and get some, just put your model# in

https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt/community/product_center/225#productDetailsPage

And here for your engine!!

http://www.kohlerplus.com/main_frame.asp

Chas

ree1man

Thank you Chas, I already had the manual, for the tractor, and the mow deck as well, but not the engine, anyway, after moving the throttle all the way up, while trying to crank it and bringing it back down, that is the only way it wil start,if it even does, and it will run for a bit, and shut itself off, I have pulled the carb off, cleaned it good, reinstalled it, new fuel filter, new gas lines,new spark plug, to no avail, it is getting spark, and gas to the carb,think i might have dropped something out of it unknowingly, am looking for a rebuild kit for the carb .....

or maybe even a new carb .....

leeave96

Here is a couple of ideas to think about.

I think you have a Kohler Command engine in this tractor. I had similar problems with a twin Command and here's what I did to get it running. Firstly, it would run on a splash of gas into the carb, but not much after that - EVEN after cleaning the carb.

Turned out this engine - and perhaps yours too, had a fuel shut solenoid needle was stuck. When I cleaned the carb, I ignored the needle/plunger on the shut-off valve and fuel was not able to get into the carb or at min, very little.

The second problem was the fuel pump. My original pump would pump fuel and I thought that was enough. Exhausted of possiblities, I replaced the vacuum (via fuel lines) lines and fuel lines to the pump - no success. I replaced the fuel pump and the engine started on first crank and ran like a champ. The old pump was working, but not enough fuel was going to the carb. The new pump made a world of difference.

If your engine fires, you got good ignition and spark. You've cleaned the carb, the only things left that jump out at me are the above things. Aside from that, you might need a carb rebuild.

BTW, I bought an Oregon fuel pump for about $20. It is a plastic fuel pump, round body and I think is the same one that Stens sells.

Hang in there with this tractor. You got a good one and your starting out on a journey, not a sprint.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

ree1man

No way Bill, not giving up on anything, I love this tractor, ordered All new everything for it, fuel pump, ignition module, and new carb, should be here by tomorrow, changing everything out, found this guy on EBAY, he has GREAT prices .....

http://www.psep.biz/

Got all 3 part's for $135, and he combined the shipping,

Will definatly get this tractor right,

Will let everyone know when I do, thank's for all the input from everyone !

SAM58

The PTO squeek noise is normal, just engage slowly...

Great looking tractor, want to doulbe your MONEY?????

Here's mine.

295.jpg

ree1man

Your's look's brand New, mine does too, just a little dirty, if i wanted to, I could prob triple my money on it, but don't want to, Im keepin it, I Love It, she is gonna keep my 1 acre lot nice and pretty, all summer long,and then some, in the winter she hibernates !!!!!

This is not my 1st mower, but once you get a WHEEL HORSE, built like a tank, You Are Hooked !

Forest Road

You cleanEd the fuel line? Spend $5 and replace it before you go any further. And make sure the fuel shutoff is fully open when you have the fuel line removed.

ree1man

Forest,

I did everything you can think of, fresh gas Lucas treated,

replaced the fuel shut off valve under the seat,

blew the hell out of the fuel line with a powerful air compressor,

replaced the fuel filter,

new air filter,

pulled the carb off, cleaned the hell out of it, to no avail,

the parts are on there way !

It's getting a new carb, new fuel pump,and Ignition module, that will cover all bases, gonna change the carb 1ST tho, go from there, now if the other stuff goes bad, I got them .....

Will keep you all posted, Have a GREAT night ! :)

Forest Road

Again you cleaned the fuel line! Your spending money on all new parts and keeping a $5 fuel line which you can purchase anywhere. Fuel lines do decay overtime. It is a 15 year old tractor. Also if you went with a "high performance" fuel filter it could be too restrictive. You need the cheap clear one with a single element filter inside. I've had more than on tractor with bad fuel lines. And on one occasion a 520 had a restrictive filter. Once I changed the filter it ran wonderfully.

Just go slow and hang in there. If you're unfamiliar with the carb linkage take advantage of your digital camera and take lots of pics for later reference. Good luck.

tgranthamfd

Did you take the needles out and blow some carb cleaner through all of the little passages?

I was talking about any adjustment scews, They have little pointed ends, althought I am not familiar with which carb is on yours. The pointed ends seat in a passageway. On a side note, I have seen fuel lines get thin over time and collapse while running and heated, shutting off fuel flow.

Wheel Horse Kid

Great looking 314! Man, you got that for an awesome price!

ree1man

Was the $^%)+ Ignition Module, she is cherry now, start's on the 2nd turn, got her all philth dirty after that stunt,WORKED THE HELL OUT OF HER YESTERDAY, gave her a bath, and cleaned her up GOOD !

AND NO

I'M NOT SELLING HER

Thank's EVERYBODY, for the input !

You all have a GREAT night !

Later !

can whlvr

right on,nothing like a hard working horse

leeave96

Was the $^%)+ Ignition Module, she is cherry now, start's on the 2nd turn, got her all philth dirty after that stunt,WORKED THE HELL OUT OF HER YESTERDAY, gave her a bath, and cleaned her up GOOD !

AND NO

I'M NOT SELLING HER

Thank's EVERYBODY, for the input !

You all have a GREAT night !

Later !

How about some :banana-gotpics: of the Wheelhorse working!

Great tractor you got.

Bill

SAM58

Glad you figured it out, the problems that you had was the reason you bought it so cheap.

Don't sell it, keep it for your grandchildren... buying them cheap and fixing them is what Wheel Horse users is all about.

They are fun to use...

So many of them have been sent to the scrap yard, but I like to hear about good ones being saved from being scrapped.

Good Job!! Think about what you have learned and the next time you can share you experience with someone else.

• Like 1

ree1man

$300.00? ... :eusa-think:

Want to Double your money?

I have to sell this tractor, breaks my heart, have to give it a new home, or ill need a new home, Let me Know, prob put 30 hours on it, since i posted this thread, have alot of spare parts for it as well, let me know .....

manahale

What?!! Are you kidding me? I'm sorry to hear you will part with it. It is exactly what I am looking for, but alas, too far away. : (