Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

Seeking advice

HorseWhisperer

I ran acrossed a 68 Charger 10 with hydro lift.Its seller claims it ran and mowed last year.He is asking 300 with deck and plow.It has a tecumseh and that is very unpleasing,let alone not running.I feel the tractor is worth the effort to revive but wanted input on the engine and how I get over not hearing and moving a hydro.It against my religion to buy something I cant hear run unless its scrap price.Should I pick up this wire nightmare?

jay in nc

check it for spark , if it has spark offer $250 , no spark $150 , you can sell the plow & deck & part the rest. good luck jay

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

The thing is barn kept but has had a redneck gerbil adding an electric fuel pump,voltmeter and other undesirables but its clean and all there.stickers are barely faded.I swore I wouldn't buy it unless it was stock like told but its calling me.

HorseWhisperer

Its out in the boondocks at a summer home with no real resources..one light comes on but nothing else responds.He is firm on the price.I only have til tomorrow to ponder as he lives three hours away.I know I shouldn't but its a lot like a hot chick you know has an STD,you know you still wanna hit it in the parking lot!

jpmcleod

I have been very lucky buying non-running/ non moving hydros, so I would be willing to take the chance. Hope the release valve works.

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Every hose fitting is damp.the tie rods are all ziptied on and its got a non running Tecumseh ten and matching walbro(God I have no luck ever with)carbon.It also has a floor boards and I didn't think 68 had em.But it does have hydro lift so anything is possible.The plow is like new and the deck is mounted and functions.Its calling me........its saying desire and reposed me with a Kohler 12

Sparky

I wouldnt bother with it. Your gut is telling you its not a great deal and your gut is right. An unknown hydro, a tecumseh motor thats not running, modifications that you dont like, and three hour drive (six hour round trip). What are you driving to see it? A gas guzzlin truck? If you figure in gas plus the cost of the tractor you most likely could never make yer money back if one of the major parts (motor-tranny) is shot.

Dont make a panic buy that you'll regret, wait for a nice machine to come up for sale closer to you.

But thats just me.

Mike.............

• Like 1

can whlvr

i agree with sparky,walk away and call it a good day

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Really hard to walk away but I did it once today

jay in nc

68 would have floorboards on a charger or raider, not on a commando, jay

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Thanks Jay

AMC RULES

Don't be like me. Make your final offer, leave your number, and keep steppin', :) Wish I could follow my own advise.

• Like 1

jdog_kustoms

they are nice tractors but if the tecumseh has no spark they are very expensive to fix and if hydro is bad its worth nothing tell him you will give him 200 snd give him your number he might call i have had people call me doing this o

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

"I shouldn't but its a lot like a hot chick you know has an STD,you know you still wanna hit it in the parking lot!" Well that is one analogy to buying atractor I can't ever say I've heard.... :laughing-rolling:

As far as the Tecumseh... the electric pump is because the mechanical one is NLA and IMPOSSIBLE to find.... If it has electronic ignition thats more NLA parts and I hate to say it but the Tecumsehs can be a nightmare and definietly don't bring money on re-sale. Tractor is worth $100 MAYBE...... say you throw a good used Kohler on the tractor because its clean only to find out the 40 year old hydro goes limp when it gets hot.

I would pass on this one.

Tony

"

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Did you just say the STD made him go limp? :ROTF:

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Some damn good sense ya'll are making.The weirest thing though,I turned the light switch on and the rear warning light came on.the fuel pump goes direct to battery via remote on/off switch.key does nothing.jump ignition with screwdriver and not even a spark.cigarette lighter works.Its like a sign from above I guess.No visible broken wires.Battery has juice.I pride myself on getting anything running but I would need to grab it by the mane and drag it back to the rapin hole(garage)

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Prolly just doomed from the start.It would be worth tearing the hydro lift off and putting on my 14 auto I suppose.Prolly just give my precious some kinda wheel warts or something!lol

AMC RULES

:text-goodpost: Dude, you're too much. :ROTF:

HorseWhisperer

My beautiful wife and neglected girlfriend say the same thing,hey,wait a minute........do know them?Were getting off target.Do you know em?sorry.Would the hydro slip right on the 14 auto?

HorseWhisperer

Doc,I did notice the electronic ignition module hiding up under the dash.I kinda suspected that too.didn't think it would prevent it from spinnin over.I see parts.Hate to do it.Hopefully he will accept 200 and I can repower with a kohler.Loosing with hydro down force sounds fun!

leeave96

One thing about the Tecumseh. It is probably an HH100. If it has the electronic ignition, you may have a problem. I don't think you can get any of these parts. I've been told you can convert them over to points and condenser, but it may require a new flywheel - can't remember.

I think 300 is a bit much for this tractor. Does it have a mowing deck? I would offer maybe $100 but really, look for something else.

FWIW - I recently bought another color tractor for $200 and have more in parts now than the purchase of the tractor. I'm beginning to thing I might should have passed on that one.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

It does have electronic ignition.The owner thinks he has gold.If I did get it running,the hh100 parts may be worth gold.Lol.I gotta try my original offer of 150 tomorrow.

Hydro

Don't be like me. Make your final offer, leave your number, and keep steppin', :) Wish I could follow my own advise.

Don't do as I do...Do as I say :naughty:

• Like 1

Trouty56

I took a chance on one of these and it turned out to be a real good tractor. Sat outside all twisted up. The Tecumseh engine now runs good. Drivetrain is real tight. Usually I don't hear too many complaints from the hydrogear's on here like I do the piston drives.

• Like 1

Hodge71

Boy Craig I wish Icould folow that advice. I wouldnt have an 18 auto with a dead hydro sitting in my yard for the last 5 months all torn apart and still not done. Gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em....

• Like 1