Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Any shooters on RS

Docwheelhorse

I'm with Vin and if its about competition its the guy holding the gun.... not the gun itself. If I had the $$$ I would go get a full comp Kimber 1911 and wouldn't be afaraid of trying to beat up on some Tupperware. LOL.... The Springfield XD45 is in there fighting too (although it peeved me off when I found out its not USA made....)

Tony

• Like 1

VinsRJ

When I was looking for a Tupperware gun to replace my 1911's CC service.... I held and shot the H&K as well as the Glock. I went with the Glock. For a whole host of reasons that are not relavent to this conversation.

I think the statement that the H&K is the be all, end all is not true. I'm not even going to speculate which pistol is better, thats for an each person to decide. But... with the technology used to manufacture these weapons currently the playing field has really tighten up. With the proper practice and training... a H&K, Glock, S&W M&P or 1911 are all just as acurate. IMO a CC weapen really comes down to size, weight, capacity, caliber and comfort.... not the make and model. Some may rule out the 1911 right off the bat on the basis of "cocked and locked". Heck, a 357 snub nose with the correct presentation to the target is probably the most effective in take down power, even compared to the 45.

All I'm trying to say is there are a lot of thing to consider.

Mike, I don't beleive I'm recognized in PA...... :angry-nono:

• Like 1

Prater

I chose the HK after several test firings of about everything allowed to be carried by LEO. The HK is so dependable and i needed something i could fire dirty since i was also on the Drug Task Force and would be crawling around on the ground surveying fields while they were beeing cultivated. I recently demonstrated to some non believers at an outdoor event. I removed my mag, droped my HK in a sandy mud pit fished it around with an open slide then pulled it out popped in a 17 round jet funnel mag and fired all the rounds out. Thats why i completely stripped her down in the pics, had to get all the mud and even a wad of grass about the size of my thumbnail out of the slide. I always recomend to someone looking for a handgun to select a price range and then rent their top 5 selection at the range and shoot a few boxes through each. Afterwards you will know if you found the right handgun for you or if you still need to shop. I have owned several makes and models but feel my HK was the right pistol for me, and I cant even tell you how much I hate shooting a glock even if I am a master at the range with it on the paper targets. But for a CCW, even a compact HK USP is still a little large...

forgot to mention that at the time I was LEO I carried Cor-Bon. Issued ammo specified by the department.

dobeleo

I just shot trap over the weekend with some friends. I shoot an old Ithica model 37 featherlight. I have had it since I was a kid. We also went out to South Dakota in November Pheasant hunting, that was a blast.

I also enjoy shooting my FNH Model 49 9mm. It is a double action, so it has a little heavier trigger pull. I kind of like it since I am not as comfortable shooting a hand gun. I need to take a class.

I also have a classic Iver Johnson Bycycle and Firearms Co. Police issue 38. It's over 100 years old. I need to build a shadow box to display it, its kind of neat looking.

Prater

I just shot trap over the weekend with some friends. I shoot an old Ithica model 37 featherlight. I have had it since I was a kid. We also went out to South Dakota in November Pheasant hunting, that was a blast.

I also enjoy shooting my FNH Model 49 9mm. It is a double action, so it has a little heavier trigger pull. I kind of like it since I am not as comfortable shooting a hand gun. I need to take a class.

I also have a classic Iver Johnson Bycycle and Firearms Co. Police issue 38. It's over 100 years old. I need to build a shadow box to display it, its kind of neat looking.

I have a FN Browning Model 1900 Semi Auto Pistol. It was made in the 1890's One of the first semi auto pistols. I also have a German marked Orteges and Walther from WWII

MikesRJ

Which was my point to begin with. Each individual has to find the weapon that "fits them", which may or may not fit anyone else. The H&K and the Sig happen to fit my shooting style and hands so well that, no pun intended, I am as deadly accurate with either one. So much so that I've shot 3D with both and score-wise there is no difference with either one. I never said the H&K is the "be all end all" of guns, but it is a proven fact that no other commercial gun will guarantee their barrels to shoot a minimum of 20,000 rounds like H&K does. Also, and this is a proven fact, the octagonal barrel will wear far less than a rifled barrel over the course of the same 30,000 round test. No question, in my mind anyway, that the H&K will be the longest lasting gun in anyone's armory before a barrel change is required. The frame may be a different story, but I haven't heard of an H&K frame coming apart either, unlike the Glock who had two recalls due to frame issues. I just think H&K is a higher quality made gun vs. many other manufacturers.

When I was looking for a Tupperware gun to replace my 1911's CC service.... I held and shot the H&K as well as the Glock. I went with the Glock. For a whole host of reasons that are not relavent to this conversation.

I think the statement that the H&K is the be all, end all is not true. I'm not even going to speculate which pistol is better, thats for an each person to decide. But... with the technology used to manufacture these weapons currently the playing field has really tighten up. With the proper practice and training... a H&K, Glock, S&W M&P or 1911 are all just as acurate. IMO a CC weapen really comes down to size, weight, capacity, caliber and comfort.... not the make and model. Some may rule out the 1911 right off the bat on the basis of "cocked and locked". Heck, a 357 snub nose with the correct presentation to the target is probably the most effective in take down power, even compared to the 45.

All I'm trying to say is there are a lot of thing to consider.

Mike, I don't beleive I'm recognized in PA...... :angry-nono:

Rollerman

Just to kick start this thread again.... :hide:

I posted this story on Facebook, so some of you may have seen it there.

Last Friday, the "13th" I took a few of my firearms out to a local farm I shoot at with the owners permission.

I wanted to sight in a rifle & run some rounds through a 9MM carbine I picked up recently.

Anyways to make a getting longer story shorter....there was another person shooting too.

One thing leads to another, we start talking guns, he shows me the rifle he's setting up to shoot.

A Panther Arms AR10 in .308 & his target is 350 yards away.

He offered to let me fire off some rounds......match 308 ammo isn't cheap!

It was a pretty cool experience since this was the first time I had done any long range shooting outside of sat 100/150 yards.

I can't say I was a great shot, but I did manage to keep all my shots on the paper at 350 yards.