Sign in to follow this  
ricksrj58

857 key switch

ricksrj58

i think i need a new key switch for my 857.the battery is fully charged and when i turn the key it might turn real slow or not,last year i would have to turn the key a couple times before anything would happen,so is the switch still available and from where?

Martin

you may need a new switch, it might be worn out inside.

first though, i would make sure you have good wiring connections everywhere and that the switch has a good ground to the dash and back to the starter. you can check grounds easily by testing resistance from the switch case to a good ground at the starter/engine.

(edit: dont listen to me, my brain is scrambled today)

rmaynard

The 857 uses a 3 pole 70A ignition switch. None of the poles are grounded. One pole is Battery, one is Ignition, the other is Start.

Momentarily place a heavy gauge jumper between the Battery terminal and the Start terminal. If the starter turns over normally, it is probably the switch. If not, it either bad wires, bad grounding of the starter, or worse, a bad starter. Check ground from battery to the frame, and frame to starter.

If you need a switch, they are no longer available from Toro, but Cole Hersees has one. Part number is 95521-B. They run about $30.00 plus shipping.

• Like 1

Martin

yeah, bob, brain fart on the switch, its the same style as i just installed on two of mine. im not sure why i thought that. must be having a real bad day.

jumper battery to starter will help diagnose. but i would still definitely check those connections and engine grounds.

i got those 95521-b switches through elec-direct.com $36 + ship. or cheaper solution......you could just install a solenoid and use a generic 3 pole switch.

520HC

The ignition switch is still available from Toro. It is part #7263

rmaynard

The part number for the 857 switch is 4988. I don't know if the 7263 is a direct fit replacement, but if it is, there is another source. I know that the Cole Hersee switch is a direct replacement, and it is less expensive than Toro.

Edit: I did read a post from 2010 that says the 4988 was replaced by the 7263, and it is still available. However, it is $54.00 from Toro. I'm sure it can be had for less, but not as cheap as the C/H one.

• Like 1

ricksrj58

ok i placed a jumper from the battery to the start terminal on the switch and nothing happens and all the wire connections are clean .i pulled the starter/generator off and used the battery charger on it and it spins. when i put the starter back on i put a jumper from the battery to the terminal on the starter and nothing happened.

Martin

check those grounds?.........

try and jump like you did on the positive, and at the same time jump the negative from the battery to a good ground point on the starter.

if that works, id say that youre not getting a good ground path to the starter. fix that first.

then if the switch still doesnt do anything and you have good continuity with the battery,switch and starter wiring at their respective terminals then the switch is bad.

ricksrj58

thanks guys,switch is bad so i put in a order with cole hersee and also replaced the voltage regulator.now i need to get the generator rebuilt i think,when i turn the key and nothing happens and i give the pully a little nudge it will fire right up,anyways heres a pic with the new shoes on her

SAM_0514.jpg

Retired Wrencher

:USA: Rick did u say these are new tires?or good used?? nice looking keep up the good work Gary B.....

ricksrj58

they are good used tires with miller tire paint