Sign in to follow this  
Sodaking27

Need help wiring Magnum in a C105

Sodaking27

Picked up a Magnum 16 as a replacement for my C105. Magnum was out of a 416-8. The Magnum has a 5 wire connector on it, but only 4 wires. 2 red for the oil sensor switch and a white and purple from the stator??? So is my thinking right on what I need to hook up. White and purple go to the rectifier. Don't need to worry about the oil sensor. The center post on the rectifier goes to the switch??. Do I need to connect anything else? Just snip the black wire that went to the coil? Will the existing switch work okay. Do I need to get anything else from the 416 before the PO scraps the remaining pices. Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Be very careful you are going form a battery coil system to a magneto. Feed the coil wire to your magneto and you cooked it and just wasted some bucks. You need a new ignition switch (mag and batery systems use different switches) for starters. The two white wires from the motor are probably the stator and go to the regulator. One of the wires is the ground to kill the magneto...absolutely do not apply voltage to it. You should download a wiring diagram before you do anything.,

Sodaking27

Paul,

Thanks for the info. I will get the ignition switch from the 416. I did not connect the coil wire to anything, so I should be okay. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the 416 with the Kohler Magnum 16 single cylinder?

gwgdog66

Don,

Look in the files section and download the demystification guide.

http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family1/redsquare/demystify.pdf

around page 7-58 should get you fixed up.

Sodaking27

Gary,

Thanks for the link. After looking over the wiring diagram, I'm really confused. I really enjoy turning the wrenches on the tractors, but when it comes to the wiring I'm lost when I get away from the simple stuff. I've been searching the forms hoping for something to click. But the more I read the more confused I get. I saw one post where someone replaced a K series with an M. I'm thinking here we go just what I'm looking for. Then I read "make sure you change the ignition switch or you'll have a smoke out" what the heck?..

I have 4 wires coming from the M. 2 red wires coming from the oil pressure switch 1 white wire and 1 purple wire coming from behind the flywheel.

gwgdog66

Don, I hear ya. wiring isn't my strong suit either

Download the Magnum service manual

http://www.wheelhors...service-manual/

Starting on page Pg 8.8 are wiring diagrams that may help you out. Figure 8-13 & 8-14 looks like what you need.

Save Old Iron

I have 4 wires coming from the M. 2 red wires coming from the oil pressure switch 1 white wire and 1 purple wire coming from behind the flywheel.

Don,

the white wire will be the magneto kill - this wire will travel up to the ignition switch and be connected to the "M" terminal on a magneto based ignition switch. DO NOT CONNECT THE KILL WIRE TO 12 VOLTS - DO NOT CONNECT THE KILL WIRE TO THE "I" (letter i) terminal of a coil based ignition switch. You may need to call the PO and grab the magneto type ignition switch from the old tractor.

The purple wire in the connector is the B+ / 14.5 volts from the regulator rectifier unit. The wiring harness for the RR comes out the front side of the Kohler M near the carb area. You should have 2 white wires (stator windings) connected to the outer AC terminals of the RR unit. The B+ terminal with the purple wire (usually the center terminal marked B+) travels behind the flywheel and ends at the 5 pin connector you mentioned. The B+ wire should end up on the "R" terminal of the ignition switch.

In the spirit of "one picture worth a thousand words"... (click on image to enlarge)

0ecac430.gif

• Like 1

Sodaking27

Save_Old_Iron

:woohoo: Thank you. That's exactly what I needed. It all makes sense now. Boy do I feel stupid. I'm so use to working on the K series Kohlers with points where the regulator/rectifier is mounted below the battery, I didn't take notice on the M series it's on the motor. As you said. A picture is worth a thousand words. Picked up the ignition switch today.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Sodaking27

Got the wiring completed last night. Picked up a new battery on the way home tonight. Was not sure about the motor I had purchased or my wiring. Got the battery in, turned the key, cranked over about three times and started right up. Motor sounds good and all the wiring works.

gwgdog66

Got the wiring completed last night. Picked up a new battery on the way home tonight. Was not sure about the motor I had purchased or my wiring. Got the battery in, turned the key, cranked over about three times and started right up. Motor sounds good and all the wiring works.

Great! I'm glad SOI put you on the right track :woohoo: