Sign in to follow this  
speedyleedy

worth of a 1995 314 8spd ?

speedyleedy

My buddy is looking at a 1995 314 8spd with a 48" mower deck on it , it only has 511 hrs on he said its in great shape could anybody give me some ideal what it might be worth ? sorry unable to get any pictures thanks for your help! :)

Wheel-N-It

In great shape? Great shape meaning all original and clean, paint in great condition and shines, everything works as it should, proper maintenance was performed. Mowing deck in like condition. In todays economy? Myself, I would pay $850 for something like that. Only because that should mean I had nothing more to do to it other than change the oil and filter, air and gas filter, and then start mowing. And if it looked more like a nearly new one, I would go a little more, but only because its a 14horsepower. I probably would not go higher for a 12horsepower version.

I recently purchased a 417-A with 805 hours on it for $500. I probably spent $75 in gas going to get it. Then another $110 to perform all the fluid and filter changes, and a drive belt. Now I have at least $685 in it. Then I sold the 42inch deck (unfortunatly with a crack in it) for $75. OK, that takes me back to $610, but without a mowing deck. Fortunatly I had a 48inch deck here, that I will say I had $100 invested in, so now I'm back to $710. And thats without my labor!!!

Well, thats how the money goes back and forth with these things. Sure, I get an extra good deal every once in a while, but hey, even a blind hog can root up an acorn under an Oak Tree every now and then. So I'm not lucky buying stuff like this for sure, just a little smarter than I used to be.

Sorry to go on and on with my answer to your question. No more coffee for me tonight :auto-dirtbike:

• Like 1

Jim_M

There are so many variables that it's really hard to answer your question. Pictures would be a huge help. The best advice I can give is "pay what you're comfortable with". If it really is in exceptional condition with 500 hours I could see it being worth as much as $1500.00, but bear in mind I said "exceptional condition". Some may may think it's worth more, some less.

stevebo

$700-$800 ish... depending on condition and time of the year.

AMC RULES

So...is the sellers asking price reasonable? :popcorn:

Hydro

Q 1 How bad does he want it?

Q 2 How far does he have to go to get it?

Q 3 Is this what he really wants?

These are all variables that may affect the purchase price.

The asking price may depend on an entirely different set of circumstances?

A 1 What else could I buy for that price?

A 2 Where do I have to go to I get it?

At the end of the day it probably depends on where it is relative to the seletion of others and what the purchaser wants. To me(personal opinion) I would prefer a hydro so I would pay less. I think $700-$900.00 would be reasonable.

speedyleedy

The guy that has it for sale has owned it sense it was new he has all the records on it & it has always been maintained he said , my buddy said he was asking 2500.00 i told him i thought that was a little bit steep he said the guy would come down some but didnt know how much ? thanks again for all the help !

Don1977

There is a 1991 312-8 speed with a 48" deck and wheel covers near me for sale $1500 don't know the hours. If I needed a mower I would buy it, I would try to get it cheaper but I don't think he would come down much.

SAM_0100.jpg

SAM_0099.jpg

SAM_0098.jpg

SAM_0101.jpg

These are the pictures of the tractor.

chesbaycruiser

:scared-eek: $2500? :scared-eek:

My opinion....based on your description, I'd say that price is at least $1000 north of my absolute max!

AMC RULES

Absolute ditto! :)

tgranthamfd

That is a $625 dollar tractor here, and we don't find that may Wheel Horses for sale. Nice and clean, though. Guess it all depends on how bad one wants it and what one is willing to pay. For me and that price range, it would have to be bigger, low hours, garage kept, very well maintained, and some attachments, but that's just me.

Wheel Horse Kid

:scared-eek: $2500? :scared-eek:

My opinion....based on your description, I'd say that price is at least $1000 north of my absolute max!

I agree with you! That is WAY to much for that tractor!

Ken B

This is the problem sometimes when purchasing a tractor from the original owner. They know EXACTLY what they paid for it when new. I agree 2500 is too much but 6-700 does sound kinda low, especially if it looks as clean as the one pictured above. You can't even buy a new Craftsman for anything less than a grand, and that is only a LAWN tractor that you might get 10 yrs out of if you are extreme on the maint. I see used 6-700.00 Craftsman's all the time on C/L and I'd bet some of them sell for that. So, at the end of the day it looks as though a quality Wheel Horse isn't worth much more than a cheap Craftsman dollar wise. There are usually two sides to the coin, we'd all like to get it for 700 (or less) but I bet if it were ours and we were selling it, we'd want more. This is why tractors get parted, if the 48 inch mower deck is in nice shape they can fetch 400 alone. If it has NICE hubcaps there's another 125.00.

woodchuckfarmer

There have been a number of 520s on E-Bay for around $2000, just my 2 cents

Kelly

I think it sounds like a $1000 to 1500 machine, with out seeing it, as stated above you can't buy much new for $2500 my kids girlfriends mom bought a new $2500 cub from TSC 3 years ago and it's a pile O crap, a nice machine will run you $5000 so my price above would be a fair price for a good used machine, I have a 1995 314 8 speed I'm working on right now to sell it has 700 hours on it, I'm thinking I'm going to ask about $500 with out a deck, i've put alot of work in to it. and if it don't sell I'll keep it as a back up.

AMC RULES

Humm, 1995, 14 hp, 8sp ready to go for $500, that's a nice price Kelly. :thumbs:

speedyleedy

Thanks your guys for all your input you all have been a big help! :)

Ken B

There have been a number of 520s on E-Bay for around $2000, just my 2 cents

A 520 at 2 grand might be a deal if the hrs. are at 500 or under, and if it is clean. It seems that once they get near or above 1000 hrs on the Onan its time to start worrying. Maybe the 520's scare off the average home owner, many people do wonder why they need to feed fuel to a hungry 20hp Onan that has a 48 inch deck on it when they can easily get away with a 314 with a 14 hp Kohler with a 48 inch deck on it to do the same job. A few weeks ago I was interested in a real clean 520 with 400 hrs on it. I was maxed out at 1800 but I was told it wouldn't be enough. It had a snow blade only. I passed, when it gets right down to it like most people I just don't need a 520 that bad.

Kelly

But good deals can still be had you just have to be able to sit back and wait, but jump when one comes along, I picked up this 1995 520 last fall for $300 (not running) it only has 404 hours on it, I did do some work to it this winter shown in another thread, but I sold the deck off it for more than I paid for the tractor, I have put about another $300 into it to get it to this point, but I know I would not sell it for less than $1500, real deals are out there, but far and few between, so paying good money for a nice tractor right now and not waiting is what you have to do, if you can't wait.

post-85-0-85054600-1331689284_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-83165400-1331689381_thumb.jpg

leeave96

Just as a point of reference, I paid around $2600 in 1998 for a new 1997 model 314-8, no deck. It has the Kohler Magnum cast iron single cylinder engine. It is a 8 speed, has 1-1/8 inch axles and an 8 pinion rear end. I also have two 520H tractors. If I had to keep only one tractor, without a doubt, it would be the 314-8. If it is clean, needing only an oil change and a wash and has a mowing deck, I don't think $1500 is out of the question. A low hour 314-8 is a VERY good tractor.

Bill

Wheel Horse Kid

That is a really nice looking 520 Kelly!

546cowboy

You know I recently sold a 520H for $1200. I had it on Ebay several times with no bidders. It had been repainted by me with a spray gun, had new decals, had a really nice recovered seat and a 60" deck. It shined like a new penny and ran perfect(had less than 500 hrs.) At the same time there were at least 3 more 520's on Ebay and the cheapest starting price was $1800 and did not look any where near as good as the one I had. I sold a 520-8 last year for $1500 and there are only 225 of those and it looked just as good as any I've ever seen.

So you see all of these comments are to be taken with a grain of salt because nobody can say what you can get for what you have. It all depends on the buyer. Personally I would never spend $2000 for any mower even a Wheel Horse. They are getting $4000 or more for new stuff that will be junk in 10 years and the good Wheel Horses are already twice that age.Here is a picture of that 520

post-1334-201171_thumb.jpg

post-1334-240012_thumb.jpg

Ken B

Kelly, the 520 I was looking at was identical in condition to yours, seat, hub caps, hrs., everything. I'm sure if was worth 1800, or more. For me all it would have been was a very expensive toy. Yours is sweet and a nice steal, uh deal. :ychain:

BOWTIE

I HAVE BOUGHT AND PREP A FEW TRACTORS OVER THE YEARS AND I WOULD SAY $900.00 IF YOU DON'T NEED TO TRAVEL TO FAR, PREP IT TRY TO GET $1300-$1400. THERE ARE FEW NEW 2006 OHV 315-8 STILL AVAILABLE HERE IN OHIO FOR $3500 WITH 42" DECK. IT IS HARD TO FINE A NICE TRACTOR MOST OF THEM SET OUTSIDE, BEAT TO DEATH AND HOOD WAS USED A WORK BENCH. JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

tgranthamfd

I HAVE BOUGHT AND PREP A FEW TRACTORS OVER THE YEARS AND I WOULD SAY $900.00 IF YOU DON'T NEED TO TRAVEL TO FAR, PREP IT TRY TO GET $1300-$1400. THERE ARE FEW NEW 2006 OHV 315-8 STILL AVAILABLE HERE IN OHIO FOR $3500 WITH 42" DECK. IT IS HARD TO FINE A NICE TRACTOR MOST OF THEM SET OUTSIDE, BEAT TO DEATH AND HOOD WAS USED A WORK BENCH. JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

BOWTIE IN OHIO

Interesting, that tractor new in 2006 would have been closer to 5k. They are workaholics too.