Sign in to follow this  
dsholler

414 starting weirdness

can whlvr

i buy mine at the toro dealer,12 bucks,they are the right configureation,and he actually stocks them

Save Old Iron

quick update.. bought replacement starter, but has different size (larger) poles. Means I either re-do 3 ring connectors, or go get a different starter... grrrr...

I hear that !

This is first reason I started taking things apart before I pick up my cars keys. Next is being curious, and cheapness is running a close third.

dsholler

Thanks everyone..she now starts and runs beautifully... now on to the next question...

Only odd thing was that the Stens replacement solenoid is horizontal rather than vertical, which means you need to attach the ground wire to the other bolt, or there will not be enough slack for the battery.

dsholler

Oh, and I have a mystery on my hands.. I was putting the battery in, and decided that it needed a new washer on one of the terminals.. I put the washer on, then knocked it off.. It disappeared. I searched my driveway and as much of what I could see behind the console, in beside the steering quadrant, etc. :) So, if it causes problems later, that will be a perfect newbie mistake. .

Duff

Odds are you won't find that washer until you tear the tractor down for a rebuild somewhere in the future, or maybe never! (Ask me how I know!) Funny how many nooks and crannies there are for things to hide in on such a [relatively] small machine!

Duff :thumbs:

can whlvr

thats one reason i get my solinoid at the dealer,they are the same setup and bolt right in with no mods needed