Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

800 Special followed me home

HorseWhisperer

Ad said been sitting in the barn,needs attention.A hundred dollars and a charged battery and I have a running Briggs.Tires had air and it fired right up.Didn't realize all Commandos weren't short chassis.Now I have to hunt for a new plow.Does anyone know how the plow frame hooks up in back? Its a bit different than I'm used to.

HorseWhisperer

71 800 Special with a Briggs.

HorseWhisperer
post-6115-0-09622700-1330050821_thumb.jp

Kelly

The plow bracket is built in to the frame, all you need to do is add the latches, if you look at it you will see what I'm talking about, and the plow rear cross bar will have to be made longer it will hook up on the outside of the plow frame not the inside like on a normal long frame plow.

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Thanks Kelly,the hooks or latches are "special" to these?I saw the two slots and a small square hole above each.

bowtiebutler956

What a deal!!! Thats a good lookin old horse, very solid. Congratulations.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Nice score. :thumbs: Looks like an easy resto if you decide to go that route. :beer:

• Like 1

Keith

71 800 Special with a Briggs.

I also have an 800 Special. Do you know what model B&S motor your's has ? I found a model # 190434-0638 but the OEM motor did not have recoil start. The original motor looked like the one that you have.

Wheel Crazy

Nice tractor! I like the light covers on the tractor as your avatar picture! Where did you find them?

Kelly

When I had my 800, I used latches off a reg. plow bracket, they bolted right on.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a nice find :thumbs2:

Irv

Goes to show the deals are still out there! Nice score!

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Wheel Crazy-I found the covers on Ebay bout 4 years ago.Had em on a 250R atc restore and couldn't part with em.They're leather slip ons.

HorseWhisperer

KEITH-I will get back here tonight with the #'s.This is all stock with a starter/generator and it appears to even have an add on voltage meter.looks dealer added.

HorseWhisperer

Keith,the engine numbers are....190434 0638-01 7009291

HorseWhisperer

I have since found a petcock mounted under the dash/left side.It also has a clean mounted volt meter under dash on right side?Kinda thinking dealer?

This is the petcock

post-6115-0-37559700-1330127919_thumb.jp

post-6115-0-81866500-1330127994_thumb.jp

HorseWhisperer

Battery,choke cable and fresh gas.The 800 Special joins the garage.

post-6115-0-88544900-1330197104_thumb.jp

HorseWhisperer

It just didn't feel right-red with a Briggs.I had to shake it off like a cat stepped in a puddle.It purred but its just not how I was raised.The peerless tyranny was not very fluid either.just didn't trust its feel.

Keith

It just didn't feel right-red with a Briggs.I had to shake it off like a cat stepped in a puddle.It purred but its just not how I was raised.The peerless tyranny was not very fluid either.just didn't trust its feel.

I would like to convert my 800 Special to a Uni-Drive. Is there any issue that would make this difficult ?

ol550

Don't count that peerless too far down. They are no doubt weaker than the unidrive but I have seen old JD's pull with them.

I use one of my 800's to pull cars in the shop with no problems for the past 7 or more years, As far as changing to a unidrive,

first you would need to replace the frame and most likely everything connected to it. Let's just say you would be better off

starting with a different tractor and putting your engine on it. Mike

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I like it! Good find :P

wheelhorsetroy

I have one in the boneyard if you need anything... it's missing a few items, and rusty... no future plans for it though.

Keith

Sort of off topic, but are "800 Special" new decals available?

can whlvr

i would go on vinyl guys site and look,hes in the links area and his work is fantastic

ray

@WheelHorseTroy saw that you have an 800 Special in your boneyard. Do you have a drive guard that you might want to sell? Let me know how much. Ship to Indiana?